German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to teach Otis to take an object and hold it in his mouth and I must have done something wrong...

I started by introducing an object to him, and YES and treating as he showed interest in the object, gradually making him show more and more interest to get a YES until he would put the object in his mouth. I'd YES and treat but that is where the progress stopped. He'll pick up the object...drop it immediately...and then look at me confused like "why didn't I get a treat for that?" We stopped because I could tell he was getting frustrated and I know I wasn't doing a great job.

How do I bridge that gap between having him take an object and having him hold it in his mouth?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Once he takes the object, put a finger in the notch under his chin, the second he stops chewing , say " give" or whatever command you want and roll the object towards and downward, when he lets it go, reward. This will teach him that he has to hold it until you tell hm otherwise.

Hope that makes sense. It's what if with my retriever who would spit out her bumper before she got to me.

I would also pair the taking if the item with a command, such as " fetch" then you can say that word soothingly as you apply the small amount if pressure under her/his chin.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 2 of 2 Posts