German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum so excuse me if I'm doing something wrong.

We have a 9 week old male puppy. We got it a week ago from the breeder with the pedigree certificates of the father and mother. So he has been at our house for a week now.

He has lots of toys and gets lots of attention.We have kept him indoors for the 1st week. But he is extremely naughty. He chews on anything he gets hold of. Doesn't matter what it is, shoes, clothing, sofa, carpet. Worst of all is that we dare not walk barefoot in the house cause he will bite our feet.

So biting is the first problem we have.

Secondly he eats any rock he can get hold of. Our garden has a lot of pathways with small rocks and pebbles. It is impossible for us to watch him all the time that he is outside to stop him from eating rocks. Last night he vomitted and there was few small rocks and even small pieces of stick in the vomit.

He gets good quality food that was recommended by the VET.

How do we stop him from biting all the time and stop eating rocks ? This is getting a serious issue now.

Lastly at what age can you move your puppy/dog to live outdoors ?

Thank you

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm not a trainer, but the adivce I got from a trainer and members on this forum really helped me.

It sounds like you have a very typical GSD puppy :) I think that it is good that he's curious and exploring his new environment. I tethered my puppy to me with a light leash, that way I could redirect him away from chewing something bad, to chewing something like a toy. Set him up for success by not giving him the opportunity to do it in the first place!

Here is a whole thread on bite inhibition: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/134407-teaching-bite-inhibition.html . If you are pursuing something like IPO i believe there is a better way to handle mouthing, but you will have to ask someone with experience in this.

My puppy also loved rocks, it's very weird isn't it! Please keep your eye on him 100% of the time, or use an x-pen to confine him to a rock-free area of the yard. Rocks can break teeth and cause blockages, which is very dangerous.

I know it can get frustrating, but please stay patient and positive, and with consistent training it will pass :) Most importantly, your puppy isn't being 'naughty' - he's being a typical (wonderful) little GSD puppy :)

LOTS of info in the Puppy Place part of the forum: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/#puppy-place

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
He's not naughty, he is a baby who needs to be taught how you want him to behave. German Shepherds are very pack oriented and are much happier and better behaved when they live inside the house with their owners. I would never leave a GSD outside all day and night. My neighbor does that with her dog about 12 hrs a day and he barks all the time. I can always tell when they are home and he is inside because the barking stops.

The advice in the previous post is excellent.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've got a puppy a few days younger than yours. When we're outside and she starts chewing on my shoes or looking for twigs/acorns, I just get up and walk around. She loves following us around, so just giving her somewhere else to direct her energy seems good.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
You should call your breeder and discuss the problems you are experiencing. She will help you get though this.

Take the pup out on a long line or even a regular leash, and the moment it starts to sniff a pebble or stone, Eh! and pull him away. He'll get it.

What food did your vet recommend?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine does all that....I leave him on leash in house for potty training reason help to redirect him quickly if latchespecially on my toe. It's normal from what I've learned comessage with having a GSD puppy. I redirect mine Coastantly and play tug a war that wares him out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Guess all GSD's are the same when they are at this age. Mine is 10 weeks now and if I don't keep something in her mouth then she will find something to chew up. Probably best to keep your dog leashed when you take him outside until he grows out of the whole "eat everything in site" phase. Also helps to keep a toy with you at all times to keep him busy.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
With my first pup I was constantly taking stuff out of his mouth and telling him leave it. On a positive note his leave it command is very strong. With my 9 week old pup I have been trying something different. Always keep a pocketful of treats and whenever I see her out wondering off to sniff out a rock or twig I will let her sniff a treat and throw it a few feet away in the grass and let her sniff it out. (my hope is that with this she will get to use her nose. And she will come to me for stuff to eat and not forage). Or I will let her smell the treat and work on some basic commands. Sit, down, come, etc... Mixing the two up usually keeps her Interested. If she chooses to walk over and pick up a toy or go laydown. I know it's time to end the session. This has worked great for us.

·
Registered
76 Posts
He's not naughty, he is a baby who needs to be taught how you want him to behave. German Shepherds are very pack oriented and are much happier and better behaved when they live inside the house with their owners. I would never leave a GSD outside all day and night. My neighbor does that with her dog about 12 hrs a day and he barks all the time. I can always tell when they are home and he is inside because the barking stops.

The advice in the previous post is excellent.
I agree LuvShepherds my 3 dogs live inside. Dogs I have seen left outside are isolated and not happy.

I will say thier is always in exception to the rule. The one time I saw dogs living outside and it did not bother me was at my childhood friends ranch. They were about 8 to 10 dogs. The had a dog run that took up about over a mile and covered houses for each dog. They were working dogs. They came out depending on what she was working on for the day i.e. horses, pigs, goats. Each was trained at different jobs. At night dogs where let out to protect against bears. They were put away every morning in the dog "pen" which was pretty lavish... it even had tunnels and other fun stuff.

Im a advocate for having your pet live in house. Sure maybe give the dog some fun time outside, but I'm usually with them playing. I may let my adult dogs out alone for 30 minutes or so every week in fenced back yard if I'm mopping, puppy goes in crate. My puppy won't be alone outside until he is a year. Too much risk of what he can run into. I know my 2 fixed dogs won't get out of fencing but a intact GSD male ...hmmm...not changing that one....besides he is handsome I may have some females jumping my 6 foot fence. BTW I have seen someone pit bull jump a 6 foot privacy fence. She now uses invisible fence on full power and 6 foot privacy fence.

Just what I do though, I'm sure everyone has thier preferred method who's to say what's wrong or right.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I've had minor issues with my GSD pups but never chewing and minimal biting. I believe most behavior issues can be modified,if not eliminated, by exercise. Their energy must be drained through walks,play and training away from the house or energy based negative behavior issues will linger,increase or evolve. Puppies have lots of energy and natural mouthy behaviors. Exercise,discipline and crate training.

·
Registered
15,936 Posts
Puppies chew everything and bite everything. My current youngster was very very very fond of zippers as a pup. Zippers on the dog beds, zippers on my clothes, zipper on the training vest before I even got to wear it once! She also did a good job of wardrobe modification. A favorite shirt carefully left on top of her airline crate got some unwanted attention when she found a way to coax part of it into the crate. I let her drag a leather leash at about 2 yo. I now have a leather collar tab that I didn't need.

In Wyoming one pup had stools that looked as though they were aggragate and I guess in a sense they were. Here the rock hounds pick up and play with rocks weighing a pound or two. Not easy on those teeth... (not easy on the lawn mower blade either if I miss picking a "toy" or two up before I mow.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm new to the forum so excuse me if I'm doing something wrong.

He chews on anything he gets hold of.

Secondly he eats any rock he can get hold of.

How do we stop him from biting all the time and stop eating rocks ? This is getting a serious issue now.

Lastly at what age can you move your puppy/dog to live outdoors ?

Thank you
Your're not doing things wrong ... you're just the owner of a GSD puppy!

Supervise, supervise, supervise. A puppy has to be watched at all times to make sure he's not chewing things that are not his. He's basically a toddler with very sharp teeth. If you can't watch him, crate him with his own chew toys.

As far as the rocks in the garden, my dog had this exact same habit! Please know that he'll outgrow it (mine is 4 1/2 months now and doesn't feel the need to eat rocks anymore), but in the meantime, keep him on leash or long line so you can redirect him as needed. Distract, distract, distract!

A puppy is a huge commitment, but he'll be worth it when he's your best friend :) Not allowing bad habits to develop is easier than breaking bad habits. Good luck.

And do you want him outside 24/7? GSDs bond so closely to their people they just want to be with them... what's your reason for putting him out?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts