German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Banned
1,233 Posts
The dog may either not like it or it may not agree with him. Try something else. There are plenty more good foods out there.
Orijen is the most overrated pet food I have seen in 35 years. Get your money back and buy a mid-priced food and don't worry about all the nonsense you read on the internet.

I swear its like a cult with Orijen.

· Banned
1,233 Posts
Not trying to change his/her mind at all I just don't want the OP to get the wrong idea. All dogs react to all foods differently, but common sense should tell someone the higher quality the ingredients the more receptive the body will be to the food- thats all;
You are making assumptions about the quality of the ingredients in Orijen and you are also making assumptions that many of the ingredients in Orijen actually benefit the dogs, like flowers and herbs.

You would be suprised of the commonality of the quality of the ingredients used in petfoods. So many things are now standardized that the only edge is "feel good" marketing and packaging. Even things like a vacuum foil bag influence consumers to think the food is superior to a food in a paper bag.

The hysteria over grains is even more intriguing, as potato is pure garbage compared to brown rice and whole corn.

I am not suggesting that people use Ole Roy, but you will see no difference in
your dog if you feed Kirkland or Orijen.

The industry responds to consumer wants but if you ask them they would rather use a mix of whole, properly prepared, grains over potatoes.

The other scam is using fresh meat. Pure marketing.

You say it is effective. In terms of what? After spending all that money for food, of course people will say it is effective. That is human nature. Scientists including vets and nutritionists can find no basis for any of these assertions.

Do people even realize that confirmed food allergies in dogs are less than 10% of all allergies??? Not grains causing it either.

· Banned
1,233 Posts
I would not give up on Orijen since it is a great food but you need to add it slowly as mentioned. There are other things you can do to her kibble to make it interesting such as just try adding some water to the kibble or a spoon full of yogurt. I would think if you just waited it out a day or two she would eat the food as is also. Don't give up so quickly.
If you want to stick with it, don't indulge your dog with tricks to eat. Put the food down and if its not eaten within 15 minutes take it away and try again next feeding time. The dog will be eating happily in 2 days if not sooner.

Don't try to make anything interesting, because the dog will always expect something new.

Tough love is the way to go. If you want to add stuff, add it only after the food is eaten.

If you are spending $60 a bag or more than $2lb you shouldn't have to supplement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.