German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents 10 month old dog just got switched to Orijen because of all the good reviews I have seen here. Problem is whe will not eat...... She only wants to take a few bites and then walks away. She is healthy happy dog, my parents want to move her back to what ever they were feeding. Have any of you guys notice your dog not liking Orijen? What can I tell her to stick with it or to help the dog want to eat. They were eating a mix of store bought kibble and table scraps.

·
Registered
877 Posts
First-

How large is this dog, how much are they feeding, and how much is a "few" bites?

Also, did they transition to the new food, or did they cold turkey change her?

Orijen is one of the richest kibbles on the market. It takes a CONSIDERABLE amount less to satisfy most dogs, especially compared your your average grocery store brand. A few bites might be all it takes to satisfy her.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
maybe the dog doesn't like Orijen. there's plenty
of preminum brands out there. sometimes you
have to try several brands before you find one
your dog likes or one that works well
for your dog.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I recently switched Stosh to Orijen and he loves it- but doesn't need much. He's 10 mos old, 80+ lbs and eats 4 cups per day in 2 meals. Maybe they should try picking up the food after 15 mins and not giving it back until time for the next meal. I used to leave Stosh's food out all the time because he ate that way, now when I put the bowl down he knows he'd better eat. And he's more eager to eat since he has regular meal times.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
They need to be mixing in 1/4 cup Orijen into the previous food for this week, and up the Orijen by 1/4 cup until they have weaned the dog off his old feed. Orijen is great but very rich food and if they have tried cold turkey the dog may have gotten a tummy ache and said screw this stuff. Tell them to mix it in SLOWLY and they should have no problem:)

·
Registered
262 Posts
They need to be mixing in 1/4 cup Orijen into the previous food for this week, and up the Orijen by 1/4 cup until they have weaned the dog off his old feed. Orijen is great but very rich food and if they have tried cold turkey the dog may have gotten a tummy ache and said screw this stuff. Tell them to mix it in SLOWLY and they should have no problem:)
Completely agree with this. This is how we transitioned our puppy from the brand that the breeder used to feed. It's less stressful for the dog as well

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Most likely what is going on is that the store bought food is full of tasty fillers. It's like being addicted to junk food. This is actually a really common problem when switching from crappy food to good food.

Unless the dog has digestive issues I would just get rid of the old stuff and transition to the Orijen using good quality canned or scrambled eggs or some canned salmon--something to make it more exciting. But just take the crappy stuff out of the mix.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the comments so far!

They did not transition it slowly due to the fact there dog was doing poorly on the old diet anyway.

They are feeding the LBP formula, and would like to start with 4cups a day (2 per meal) There puppy 11months old is really thin right now.

Thanks again!

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
The dog may either not like it or it may not agree with him. Try something else. There are plenty more good foods out there.
Orijen is the most overrated pet food I have seen in 35 years. Get your money back and buy a mid-priced food and don't worry about all the nonsense you read on the internet.

I swear its like a cult with Orijen.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
as a puppy my dog was fed 3 cups a day with some can
food added for flavor. i also added chicken, beef, veggies and fruit.
as an adult i feed my dog 2 cups a day with things added.

Thanks for all the comments so far!

They did not transition it slowly due to the fact there dog was doing poorly on the old diet anyway.

They are feeding the LBP formula, and would like to start with 4cups a day (2 per meal) There puppy 11months old is really thin right now.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Then why is it so effective for so many dogs, why are the ingredients so high quality, and why has there never been a recall with this company. Orijen is surely not overrated and why would you even think so.....evidence? Many dogs don't tolerate corn, wheat, by-products, and other fillers found in other foods which is why Orijen is a good choice for sensitive dogs and overall a good choice for healthy dogs. Diet is one of the most important things for us and our animals- we are what we eat. Processed low quality foods increase the risk of cancers, heart disease, immune problems, and are hard on the liver and kidney's- proven fact not an opinion.

Orijen is surely not the only good dog food, but it is by far the best kibble on the market. I rotate between TOTW and Orijen and have resolved my labs allergies, ear issues, and itchy skin without antibiotics and other medications. I don't trust BB anymore after their recent recalls and inability to speak out about the problems so don't knock a food simply because you don't feed it. It's certainly not low quality food and has helped many dogs overcome chronic issues:)

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Don't wake the sleeping giant. You can look back at some of his/her threads, but it's obvious sable is not a fan of orijen. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone has a right to their own opinions... you're just most likely not going to change his/her mind.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Not trying to change his/her mind at all I just don't want the OP to get the wrong idea. All dogs react to all foods differently, but common sense should tell someone the higher quality the ingredients the more receptive the body will be to the food- thats all;

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Not trying to change his/her mind at all I just don't want the OP to get the wrong idea. All dogs react to all foods differently, but common sense should tell someone the higher quality the ingredients the more receptive the body will be to the food- thats all;
You are making assumptions about the quality of the ingredients in Orijen and you are also making assumptions that many of the ingredients in Orijen actually benefit the dogs, like flowers and herbs.

You would be suprised of the commonality of the quality of the ingredients used in petfoods. So many things are now standardized that the only edge is "feel good" marketing and packaging. Even things like a vacuum foil bag influence consumers to think the food is superior to a food in a paper bag.

The hysteria over grains is even more intriguing, as potato is pure garbage compared to brown rice and whole corn.

I am not suggesting that people use Ole Roy, but you will see no difference in
your dog if you feed Kirkland or Orijen.

The industry responds to consumer wants but if you ask them they would rather use a mix of whole, properly prepared, grains over potatoes.

The other scam is using fresh meat. Pure marketing.

You say it is effective. In terms of what? After spending all that money for food, of course people will say it is effective. That is human nature. Scientists including vets and nutritionists can find no basis for any of these assertions.

Do people even realize that confirmed food allergies in dogs are less than 10% of all allergies??? Not grains causing it either.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
My friend feeds her GSDs foods that have grains and her feeding costs a lot more than my feeding Orijen for my dogs. The food she feeds with potato is outrageously priced compared to the Orijen. I feel like I am getting a bargain!:)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the comments!

Sable, I will agree that Orijen is not the best dog food for all dogs, however I do feel it is one of the best if not the best kibble on the market. With that being said im sure not every dog will do there very best on it.

I have been feeding a RAW diet but my parents won't spend the time it takes to prepare it. Before RAW I was feeding Orijen, and although my dog never seemed to love any kibble she was hands down doing the best on Orijen including RAW. I have thought about moving her back to it, her coat was perfect and had more focus and calm energy. On RAW she eats great but I feel her coat is a little thinner and she is more all over the place mentally.

I don't think Orijen is the only food but I do feel it is a dang good one, and I know when I was feeding it my dog did thrive! For only about 10-15 bucks more sticker price every month of five weeks I will continue to recommend Orijen and maybe even move my dog back to it.

Thanks for the comments guys!!!

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I would not give up on Orijen since it is a great food but you need to add it slowly as mentioned. There are other things you can do to her kibble to make it interesting such as just try adding some water to the kibble or a spoon full of yogurt. I would think if you just waited it out a day or two she would eat the food as is also. Don't give up so quickly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.