German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up our 4 mo girl on Monday and she seems fantastic so far except she had spent very little time on leash ever, except when the breeder would take her to the vet and so she has been pretty fearful on the leash (and is still refusing to poop while on the leash but will pee on leash fine).

We took her to our local pet store today where she has been one other time but not encountered any other dogs, well today we were walking through the doors and there was a weimaraner right inside the door with it's owner and Sage went nuts- hair on end, barking, growling and lunging at the dog. My husband removed her from the store when she wouldn't calm down and I finished our shopping. I'm assuming that her lack of leash training combined with her lack of confidence/trust in us yet made her aggressive while on the leash. Help, how should we proceed from here?

We are planning on starting a puppy class next Tuesday but now I am worried that might not be the best idea yet if she is so reactive.

It may not have helped that our cat decided to put up a big show about this dog in his house and is a hissing/puffing/growling nightmare so Sage, who was raised with cats, is now totally freaked out and has to be leashed any time the cat comes near. Perhaps this is not a good idea either? We are trying to work through all of these things as we go here.

:help:TIA

·
Registered
606 Posts
That reaction was most likely fear not aggression.

Socialization is key at this age.

I would begin to leash train her by making it a positive experience. If she already readily accepts wearing the leash I would begin having her drag it around the house. Treat her along the way so she associates good feelings with the leash. Once she has that down move on to holding the leash loosely in your hand and while using treats as a lore. I have even used a long wooden spoon with peanut butter held at my side so they naturally follow you while licking the spoon. Once she is doing well you can begin to add distraction.

As far as pottying.....you have to wait it out. Eventually she will poop on leash but it can get long and boring fast. Just stick with it and when she finally goes jackpot with treats and throw a little party :)

I would say once the leash skills are down begin taking her out into the world and socializing her. Let each experience be as positive as possible. Meet other friendly puppies/dogs that are also well socialized as well as people of all ages/sizes.

And maybe get involved in a puppy class. Foundation training is an overwhelming help when raising a puppy :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Try not to go too fast at that young of an age, I made that mistake with mine, and now at 9 months we are just beginning to get back on track.

The peanut butter on a spoon isn't a bad idea, I would try just inside the home as well gently pulling on the leash, the moment she begins to follow it give her a treat, do this a lot, and she should learn very quickly to follow even the slightest movement on a leash. Once distractions come its going to be a very different story and take a while, just make sure you have as many positive interactions as possible.

·
Registered
16,006 Posts
And with the cat and other dogs -- carry high value treats. See hissy fit cat, get a good treat. See other dog, get a good treat. This really does work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome. Thank you all. It's all stressful in the moment! I just have to remember to relax and go with what I know and am learning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts