German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the vet and she said that my pup has Carpal Subluxation due to not enough calcium in his diet. We're going to do acupuncture, physical therapy and a new diet+supplements. She suggested that I go to balanceit.com and have them help me out so I can work up a new diet so we can get him all straightened up, as well as supplementing with his same diet (which he's on raw)
While I do trust my vet, I did want to get other opinions and maybe options?
We've had him on a raw diet since he was about 4 months old and I didn't want to switch to kibble because he LOVES the diet (and, frankly, I do too) and doesn't really like kibble anymore (recently offered him some and he sniffed it and walked away, I don't blame him either!)
I'm all for doing a home-cooked if that's best for him AND I get the right recipe (so I'm all for spending the money on a recipe, if it's the right one!). I have read the threads and articles, but I guess I feel a little overwhemled and am in need of some guidance to help my pup out :eek:

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I can't answer your questions but perhaps if you posted the amount of meat:bone and calcium sources in his diet it would help someone who could. Personally, I think I would switch to a balanced holistic kibble before using that line of supplements with synthetic vitamins and minerals.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I've used Monica Segal in the past and really liked my experience with her.

Individualized Nutrition For Your Dogs

I know others formulate diets differently, but I do mine based on the NRCs nutrient requirements of dogs. Their adult dog guidelines are published in one of Monica's books as well as nutrient analysis of common raw diet ingredients, like turkey neck. Not having the guideline numbers for a puppy, as well as me not having the desire to reformulate almost weekly as he grows, I am feeding good quality kibble to my pup while supplementing with meat and bones. Once he's closer to a year in age I will feel more comfortable formulating his diet on my own.

Monica can analyze your diet and tell you exactly how much calcium and all other nutrients are in it. And it's not all about 1 nutrient value, often it's their proportions to each other. Monica does puppy diets where she works with you for 1 year reformulating as the pup grows and you finish with a balanced adult diet. I think this is a great way to go if you can afford it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts