German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got my 14 week old female GSD puppy Riley almost 3 weeks ago. Overall she is an absolute joy however she does 2 things I would like to nip in the bud ASAP. I just want to get some advice on the best way to correct these behaviors.

I have 3 pugs, two females which she leaves alone for the most part and a male pug who is blind. She will harass him the most and unfortunately he cannot see it coming. For the most part he tolerates it (although I can tell he is upset). Once in a while he will snap back at her but since he is blind he can't get after her too much. She always thinks he is playing. She will also try to hump him every chance she gets. I always tell her "be nice" and try to distract her from him but she is always adamant to go after him and rough house every chance she gets. I usually just end up putting her on a leash in the house so she can't run after him and that will quiet her down.

She will also run and tackle my cat. My cat will just hiss at her and lay there tackled. She has yet to smack Riley with her claws out, which I think Riley might need so she will realize she should back off.

Riley also loves water and knocks over her water bowl every chance she gets. She is always putting her paws in the water, as well as toys. I want to get her a kiddie pool to play in the backyard but I am afraid this will only make her water love even worse. My dogs are all indoor dogs, supervised in the backyard, so I can't just have the water kept outside. I need a big bowl (we have two) so the pugs can drink too. I am getting so sick of mopping up the floor every other hour it seems. I pretty much have to run in the room and watch her drink so I can make sure she won't knock it over. The bowls are pretty heavy stainless steel bowls.

As for exercise Riley goes to the barn where I work as a horse trainer and is down there for about 6 hours with me. She is a saint down there, as well as being out in public. She has been naturally obedient (well so far!) There are 2 other GSD she will get to play with at the barn but they are older and don't want to play very long or rough. There are also a ton of kids who play with her and she walks all around the barn with me. She will get super exhausted, take a nap for a few hours when we leave, but then her energy levels are sky high soon again. In the evening I have been taking her for a 15-20 minute walk to tire her out again, as well as lots of random ball and toy playing sessions in the backyard.

Any advice would be appreciated! :eek:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sorry, can't help w/ the being a pest to other pets, but the annoying water dish thing will just pass on it's own. But in the meantime, get a "waterhog" rug from LLBean, and wait for her to get over it! Good luck!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, can't help w/ the being a pest to other pets, but the annoying water dish thing will just pass on it's own. But in the meantime, get a "waterhog" rug from LLBean, and wait for her to get over it! Good luck!
Ok, glad to hear it is something they eventually get over. I am going to get one of those rugs first thing tomorrow!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm glad it's not only me! Luka CANNOT drink his water without putting his paw in it. Then he tries to dig in the water and splashes everywhere. I had heavy ceramic bowls and he was using his paw to tip them over. I finally got a wide based metal bowl but that was too light and he shoved it across the floor until it spilled. I finally put the ceramic bowl inside the metal one and now it's heavy and he can't tip it. I'm so relieved to hear he'll grow out of it!

As for being a pest with other animals. I have two cats and Luka goes after them all the time. I put a leash on him and keep my foot on it when he's around the cats. He tries to lung at them and the leash yanks him back a little. Usually after a couple attempts he gets frustrated and barks which we ignore. Finally he usually settles down enough to take a toy or treat. When he settles down pretty easily I give him a CET chew, which is a big reward for him. Quick corrections with the leash work best for me.

Good luck and keep me posted!

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
To address the water situation.... as others said, it will pass. I remember when Titan was a puppy and would do this. Him and his brother would play tug with the waterbowl and it would spill everywhere. When Titan's brother finally left with my roommate I thought it would be over. NO he just started digging and playing in it... water EVERY WHERE.. haha. It took him a good while but he grew out of it. Actually once I got a raised feeding and water dish it stopped... though he did discover a fun game where he would dunk his whole face in the bowl and watch the water drip off his nose while trying to bite the drops.. THAT was entertainment. Haha.

Anyways, for the pestering of pets.. have you taught her "leave it" yet? That would be a really good and useful tool for you. It will come in handy for A LOT of things. If you have taught it to her already, you should start using that command when she goes after the cat or your other dogs. If not, it's really easy to teach. Titan picked it up in a few minutes. Let me know if you need help with the how to's or youtube has a good amount of videos.

Exercise.... oh man. It will never ever end. lol. It sounds like to me you have a very high energy puppy. Titan is/was the same way. I remember when he was Riley's age I would walk him tons, play fetch, etc.. probably all the same things you are doing! Nothing I did would tire him out... until... I learned that mental stimulation with physical exercise tire him more. Have you tried something like that? Doing periods of obedience with play reward. I also started the "find" game with Titan. Perfect for when I can't go outside, or even to lazy, lol.. hide a toy or treat, whatever motivates her, and tell her to "find" this could also come in handy if you ever want to start SAR one day. But it really kept Titan entertained. Also, not sure if this is a problem for you guys but I found that a lot of Titan's "endless" energy came from simply having his toys all over the place. So he always had this taunting toy in front of him, like he couldn't help himself. I ended up toy restricting him which helped tremendously with his energy levels. Now I have him on a pretty good routine. We do 4 miles a day total, 2 in the morning, 2 in the evening. With a lot of mind game, fetch and OB when I get home from work. He gets his box of toys while I am at work. They are picked up when I get home and I pick one or 2 toys for him to have access to if I think he needed some extra entertainment. He always has a Marrow Bone handy or an Antler, so that keeps him occupied too.

Anywho, sorry that was so long winded.. I just know exactly what you are going through and wanted to share how I handled it. let us know how things work out! :)

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I have a 15 week old puppy that does the same thing. When Leyna and Levi were young, Leyna used to do this as well. We actually bought a washing machine plastic dish (it goes under the machine to catch water) and that worked really well to keep the mess contained. We don't have the room to do that now. Also, we had to go to a horse feeding bucket (for the outside water bowl) so that Leyna and Levi wouldn't tip it over constantly.

Any chance, one of the GSD's at the ranch is named Janka? (my friend works at a horse ranch and has a GSD...and I believe it is in Temecula). Just a random thought...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
With regard to the pestering of the old dogs - teach her to "leave it" and also keep her under supervision when she is with your other and smaller dogs. I have a one year old GSD female and other dogs that are smaller (30-55 pounds, one of whom is visually impaired). My female GSD has become a "brat" lately and I have had to resort to keeping her on a retractable lead when the dogs are out together in my fenced yard. She has been to multiple obedience classes and has a CGC certificate too, but she is now adolescent and she is in a multi-dog pack. She is well behaved at dog shows, in stores and when on a leash. When she is loose, she has become the bully of my backyard and I have now taken steps to reign her in and let her know that her behavior is not acceptable.

As soon as you can, enroll her in a puppy training class and have fun with her. She sounds like a great dog.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts