German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I Havent posted here in a while. I just recently build my gsd an 800 square feet gate, 6 feet tall and he did good for the first week and a half. But now he found a way out and jumps out when Im not around. Hes got food and water available and plenty of things to keep him occupied. Im thinking he might be bored or maybe lonely when im not around, but i want to make him understand if possible that getting out of his property is not acceptable. Lobo is an 11 month old gsd. Any insight on how to fix this problem. I dont want to modify the fence or make it taller, i want him to know hes not allowed to be getting out. thanx in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
If you don't want to put a roof on the kennel, you'll have to keep him inside when you're not watching. Safest place for him anyway.

Of course he's bored and lonely and wants something to do. So he goes looking for it.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
LOVE LOVE LOVE an easily 100% and immediate fix and I have one for you!

Cause you are also BRILLIANT and hit the nail on the head with this statement:

"Im thinking he might be bored or maybe lonely when im not around"

Just go with him when he's in the yard, and when you go in, so does he! No alone time in the yard means no boredom and jumping the fence!

For exercise and fun, I'm a part of that picture. So WE exercise and train together.

DOG CLASSES and hiking would be a great addition to your life for you current pup.

·
Super Moderator
32,586 Posts
But now he found a way out and jumps out when Im not around. Hes got food and water available and plenty of things to keep him occupied. Im thinking he might be bored or maybe lonely when im not around, but i want to make him understand if possible that getting out of his property is not acceptable. Lobo is an 11 month old gsd. Any insight on how to fix this problem. I dont want to modify the fence or make it taller, i want him to know hes not allowed to be getting out. thanx in advance.
Put a lid on it! He's already learned that he's capable of jumping the fence - you can't unring that bell. You might be able to train him not to jump out when you're there (or he may not even try because he doesn't want to jump out when you're there), but I don't see any way to train him to know he's not supposed to be jumping the fence when there is nothing preventing him from doing so. You're going to need to manage his environment so he CAN'T.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Can I ask what is out there to keep him occupied? I know things like toys are useless to my dogs unless I'm playing with them too.

Does he live outside or is he just staying out there for a little while during the day?

·
Registered
484 Posts
A remote collar is the only way to "train" him to stop but really the best thing is to make it escape proof with a roof.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
he has toys, and i know what you mean, i have to play with him and make him company or else those toys are useless. I do want him to live out there since he doesnt like being inside. The problem is only when i leave to work. Oh and this is not a kennel we are talking about, i screwed up by saying 800 square feet but i meant 8,000 square feet. Its a large fenced up area, i was going to build a house in that property but for the mean time i wanted Lobo to have it so he can have plenty of space to run around freely. He has a good sized dog house in that area as well.

·
Registered
484 Posts
he has toys, and i know what you mean, i have to play with him and make him company or else those toys are useless. I do want him to live out there since he doesnt like being inside. The problem is only when i leave to work. Oh and this is not a kennel we are talking about, i screwed up by saying 800 square feet but i meant 8,000 square feet. Its a large fenced up area, i was going to build a house in that property but for the mean time i wanted Lobo to have it so he can have plenty of space to run around freely. He has a good sized dog house in that area as well.

Ah! In that case you really should consider a chain link kennel/run. It is much safer for him.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Yeah, you can't put a roof on an 8,000 sq foot lot. How tall is your fence? We had a section that was owned by a neighbor that was 5 feet tall. No problem for any self respecting GSD. I had to make that 6 foot and some days I worry the young male is going over it...

What about electronic fence? There's a bit of cost and training time but it might be your best option.

There are not enough hours in the day for me to wear both my dogs out. The old lady yeah, walk her 3 miles and she's good. The boy, forget about it, he can spent 2 hours dragging my kids around the baseball field on a sled, come home take that walk with the old lady and still run for his ball. For him, I use squirrels.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I do want him to live out there since he doesnt like being inside.
If he doesn't like being indoors with you, that should be ringing a bell in your mind that there is a bonding issue.

If you mean he doesn't like being alone indoors when you are at work, HELLO :) he's also telling you he doesn't like being alone OUTdoors when you are at work.

He's bored bored bored bored bored bored bored....

Once again, I have a 100% fix that will start helping right away. It involves YOU plus way more time with HIM, hours more at least every other day. Just being 'with' my dogs isn't enough. I need to take down my calendar, look at it and my upcoming week, and then start planning and writing down Dog Time on that calendar.

Dog classes and the 'homework' that includes is a no brainer easy start. But additionally planning on packing my dog into my car for socialization and hikes is important. This is the stuff I have to do with my dogs or they also get bored out of their gourds!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts