German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

My name is Tom and we recently adopted a German Shepherd/ Siberian Husky mix (so we believe anyway..Awaiting results from a genealogy blood test now).

His name is REO and has just turned 6 months about a week ago.

He is an awesome dog 50% of the time. Tell him sit, he sits, tell him lay down he lays down, call him to you he comes, can walk around my yard (about 1 acre ) with him NOT on a leash and never leaves my side more than 20 feet.

The part that has me worried/scared is this landshark attacks!

Let me explain is actions:

When he is taken outside to exercise/ go the bathroom he "usually" goes out (only if someone is with him..he wont just go out on his own) walks around a bit, may find one of his toys and and play with that...then after he does his potty time..it becomes time to attack me...will run right to me and start going for whatever he can nip at! Feet, legs, then start jumping and nipping my back side and of course arms and legs. I've done the FREEZE and don't move thing but just cant anymore or I'll get nipped left and right.

I've tried distracting him with a toy, that will work for a few minutes but think he has more fun watching me get chewed!! LOL

I find that if I get down on the ground in a crouching position he is not as bitey..but still trying to nip. soon as i stand up he jumps and nips like crazy.

As I slowly get away from him I will go inside and leave him outside to "calm down"...he will go calm after about 5 minutes but as soon as I let him in ..GAME ON again. Food seems to be the only thing that that really takes his mind off of this nipping..He loves Chicken and pretty much knows when I get a piece he runs to his room waits in front of his crate and when I get to his room he walks into his crate and lays down waiting for his chicken.

I really want to have him more of a family dog but starting to wonder if he will ever just sit there and hang out with us. We can get him to stay still for about 15 minutes sometime then time for him to go after the arms!

I feel so bad caging him up but we have to in order not to mauled to death.

We love this puppy so much but just want to get him to be more of a family type dog if at all possible.

We took him to obedience training but made no difference..like he's stubborn or something..Plus was not fond of the training facility..not a fan of choker collar training.

Any input and how to deal/correct this behavior(s) without getting chewed to death would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I would leash him so when he gets jumpy you can step on the leash while he's in a down or at least hold him off of you. He sounds just really excited and needs to burn off energy. Give him some good play with a flirt pole and keep up obedience

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Does he like to play fetch? I think he needs to expend a lot more energy so that he can settle a bit more. I usually played fetch for a while (we have an acre as well so it makes for some nice long runs), do a bit of obedience for some mental stimulation and then he usually settled pretty well once we went back in. If he doesn't like to play ball, then the flirt pole idea (or both!) might be a good outlet for some of his excess energy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never even heard of a flirt pole but gonna built one tonight!

I do think it is a lack of exercise..when he act up we put him back in his crate and i feel awefull doing that...feel like a bad parent :(

yes he is a fetch-a-holic..LOL

What is the best way to handle when he is "attacking" you...I was initially grabbing his collar and bringing him to the ground but that seemed to just aggravate him...

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Keep him leashed when walking outside, try taking him for walks outside your yard, tire him out by playing fetch (you said he likes it) and when inside, keep toys all over to stuff in his mouth if he tries to nip.

I do not see the Husky in him, but he's very cute.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keep him leashed when walking outside, try taking him for walks outside your yard, tire him out by playing fetch (you said he likes it) and when inside, keep toys all over to stuff in his mouth if he tries to nip.

I do not see the Husky in him, but he's very cute.
I don't either...reason for getting genealogy report too..just curious!

Vet thinks he is more Australian Shepherd due to tail markings.

Gonna tire him out a bit and see if that works!!

Thanks for the input!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Never even heard of a flirt pole but gonna built one tonight!

I do think it is a lack of exercise..when he act up we put him back in his crate and i feel awefull doing that...feel like a bad parent :(

yes he is a fetch-a-holic..LOL

What is the best way to handle when he is "attacking" you...I was initially grabbing his collar and bringing him to the ground but that seemed to just aggravate him...
I had read in a "-- for dummies!" book that interacting with your hands is more of a 'play' interaction and will encourage more of the behavior. The book suggested pushing them away with your foot (not kicking, though :p ) while not looking at them while using a harsh correction word.

It seemed to work with our GSD that had a similar nipping problem and a neighborhood pitbull puppy that keeps getting out and wandering over who liked to jump up on me.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
He's trying to initiate play. Hopefully by redirecting his energy to toys (ball, flirt pole), mental games and obedience some of that seeking, instigating behavior will diminish and disappear over time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He's trying to initiate play. Hopefully by redirecting his energy to toys (ball, flirt pole), mental games and obedience some of that seeking, instigating behavior will diminish and disappear over time.

Thanks...gonna play him till one of us is exhausted!!! LOL

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a similar prob with my 6 month old pup. What works for us (and we've tried it all) - is shorten up the leash so she can just walk at my side - and start walking briskly. We do this until she settles into the walk, then I have her sit, and we'll start with fetching again.

Works pretty well, though sometimes our walks get longer than I like and she can be a bit feisty at first.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Try to think of it this way....he is like a can of soda. He is busting full of energy. When he sees you, that can of soda is shaken and opened. He is over flowing with energy and excitement. Since he's a dog, the only way he knows to spend that energy is through body movement...which includes his mouth. It's not agression, or being stubborn. It's all about the flow of energy that he has and needs to spend.

The fact that he has a high interest in food is a very good thing. You can use that to your advantage. The fact that he's so interested in YOU is a very good thing too - much easier to get him to focus on you.

Step up your game. Use the flirt pole to help build his confidence and spend some of that energy. Use the flirt pole to work your OB as well. Teach him control.

Google dog tricks. There are tons of really good utube videos that will help you teach him different tricks. Teaching him silly tricks helps him build confidence and learn to focus on you. It's also a lot of fun to do.

Just remember he's a baby. Don't expect perfection. Don't think that one day of hard work will result in a weeks worth of good pup. It's daily...every..single..day. You are building a solid foundation. So you know that you'll have a balanced, well behaved dog once he matures.

Patience. Patience. Patience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OMG thank you so much for the FLIRT POLE idea!!!!!! 10 minutes and he's done!!! (and a little dizzy myself!!)

Still goes into landshark mode sometime when I first take him out of his crate, but at least I know I can get him outside and wear him right down!!! Best part is when we come in I'll go sit on the couch ,he jumps up beside me and has no interest in biting me!!! LOL

Not a cure all for the Landshark issues, but at least I'm glad he is getting some really good exercise now without wearing me out!!

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Little update...

He's turning worse!!!

I can't even let him out of his crate to roam...he immediately goes into jumping and nipping /biting mode!!

Rarely can take him for a walk cause by the time I get his leash hooked up, I'm worn out trying to control him.

We did obeience classes, but he was so bad we had to drop out cause we were distracting the rest of the class

My hands and forearms are so bruised and scratched up from his mouthing looked Like I've been beat up!

For that 25% of time when he is calm...he is the best dog ever!

We also did a genealogy report on him. When he got fixed a couple weeks back (he's gotten worse since that time too!!), we had them draw some blood and send it off to a company to see what is bloodline was... Well...he was not what we were told!

One Parent is a Mixed breed ( Wheaten terrier, White Swiss Shepherd, Chinese Crested, HArrier, Shetland Sheepdog) , German Shepherd and Chow Chow all rolled into one parent........ The other parent is pure Belgian Malinois.

Not sure if this is playing at all into his mood..but thought I'd add that in there.

Talking about being at wits end...I feel horrable for keeping him in the crate around the clock..Been thinking about a muzzle so he can at least roam a little, but feel bad putting that on him too!!

He always has his mouth open too...

Trying to find a ONE on ONE trainer now...

No clue what to do anymore

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi, I'm a GSD newbie, and know nothing about Belgian Malinois other than they are a working breed, too. Do they have the same kind of clingy trait that makes them want to be right next you whenever possible? Please don't take this as criticism but do you think he's getting so frustrated being crated a lot that he goes nuts when he gets out?
My pup is 6 1/2 months old too, and she becomes a pest when I haven't given her enough exercise and attention, which believe me, is all I feel like I'm doing, other than working 40+ hr/wk. Sorry, got a little venty there! But sometimes I just want to sit down and read a book!

Anyway, I have a tiny yard, so I take her for an hour off leash walk with lots of fetch in the am, and do about 10-15 in of OB during the walk and while I'm getting ready for work. Brainwork is energy burning too! Same thing at night but longer walk and more fetch and training. I've read just about every post I could find about puppies on here, and every time a pup is going nuts, the experienced people say up the exercise and training, and it helped me when I was losing my mind with Jedda a few months ago! I had read so much about not over-exercising their young joints that I wasn't wearing her out. Tired puppy = good puppy you don't want to give away!
Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts