German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, This is Wolfiesmom. I used to be on this forum a few years ago and couldn’t get back in under my original screen name. Anyways, Wolfie is 8 years old now and having an issue with itchy skin. He did have seasonal allergies this past spring and was on Benadryl. I stopped the Benadryl when his eyes cleared up . The past couple of weeks , he has had a lot of itching near his shoulder blades and in his groin area. I checked him over for fleas and I can’t find anything. He’s never around other animals so I am thinking his chance of having fleas is very slim. He did catch a woodchuck last week in the yard and was shaking it around. I thought he may have got fleas from the woodchuck, but I can’t fined any evidence of fleas. His ears and eyes are clean and clear. His skin looks good, no red areas. He does have a little dandruff on his back. I gave him a bath with shampoo to help with itching but it didn’t work.
Any ideas of what this is and how I can help relieve his itchiness? We are on vacation for the summer and not near our regular vet.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How would you find out if he has notes or demodenic mange?

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I googled it. He doesn’t have any lesions or red skin and no missing patches of hair.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Claritin or Zirtec. You can give it every 12 hours
Are you sure human drugs are ok for our dogs? I used to take Zirtec daily for almost 2 years for hives. It made me really sleepy everyday. For humans, it's once every 24 hours, not once every 12 hours. I don't know, but it just doesn't seem like giving these drugs to dogs is ok. Again, I don't know. OP, ask several vets before you do it.

My dog got Apoquel for allergies. They worked but like all drugs, there are possible side effects.

·
Registered
32,590 Posts
Are you sure human drugs are ok for our dogs? I used to take Zirtec daily for almost 2 years for hives. It made me really sleepy everyday. For humans, it's once every 24 hours, not once every 12 hours. I don't know, but it just doesn't seem like giving these drugs to dogs is ok. Again, I don't know. OP, ask several vets before you do it.

Yes. I didn't pull that information out of the air. Dogs process these drugs differently than we do and they can be given every 12 hours. Feel free to ask YOUR vet as I've already talked to SEVERAL vets and the answer is always the same.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Yes. I didn't pull that information out of the air. Dogs process these drugs differently than we do and they can be given every 12 hours. Feel free to ask YOUR vet as I've already talked to SEVERAL vets and the answer is always the same.
Easy, Jax. It was an honest question. That's why I said, "I don't know." No need for the attitude. Sorry.

·
Registered
16,191 Posts
Generic form of Zirtec is Citrizene (sp) == just as effective and way cheaper. Barker the Elder 2d was prescribed 3 once a day. When despite the two allergy meds the dogs began serious scratching, my vet recommended an allergy shot -- took care of both the theophylene (sp) & citrizene so although it wasn't cheap, it was cheaper than the other drugs and worked for those issues and the general itching. BUT you should talk to your vet to get the appropriate dosage for your dog. Don't rely on a chat room to prescribe meds.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
One bite of flea saliva in a dogs system can cause havoc.

Get a "flea comb" and use it all over him to make sure, especially since he tangled with a wood chuck.

Besides the meds mentioned for relief, try Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar.

It has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. You will know it is organic because you will see “The Mother” (which contains the medicinal properties) floating around in the bottle. Other apple cider vinegar is clear.

Make a 50/50 mix of the the Organic ACV with purified water (not city tap water) and after a bath with a mild organic or castile soap/shampoo, rub the Organic ACV mix down into the skin/coat, working in small areas, until the whole dog is covered including legs and belly. Always be careful of eyes (vinegar stings). Let dog drip dry, do not rinse off. You can put the mix in a spray bottle and spray on their coats and specific itchy spots (if skin is not opened) a few times per day till you see improvement. You can also use this mix to wipe out ears. Usually at a health food store, but more and more grocery stores are beginning to carry it. Braggs and Heinz makes them.

Vinegar: ~Internally:
*You can add Organic ACV to each meal. If the dog doesn’t seem to like it, mix the AVC first with a Tablespoon or two of low fat chicken broth, then drizzle over kibble.
“Apple Cider Vinegar has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral properties, primarily coming from the malic acid and acetic acid portion of the vinegar. Apple cider vinegar changes the PH in the system to alkaline because of the ash content. Apple cider vinegar acts as a buffer in the body because the acetic acid reacts with base or acid compounds to form an acetate, therefore rendering them chemically bioavailable for the body's utilization. Additionally, Apple Cider Vinegar can reduce the toxicity of certain compounds by converting the toxin into an acetate compound, which is less toxic. This is why they are ideal for insect bites and certain skin allergies.
• Up to 25# = ½ teaspoon per day
• 25# - 50# = 1 teaspoon per day
• 50# -75# = 2 teaspoons per day
• 75# 100# = 1 Tablespoon per day.

IF you have a dog that is sensitive to grains, beware of other GLUTEN BASED ingredients, with names that we do not recognize, that could be in the Doggie Shampoo that you are using!
WHEAT: hydrolyzed wheat protein or triticum vulgare (wheat) or stearyldimoniumhydroxypropyl (hydrolyzed wheat protein) or hydroxypropyltrimonium (hydrolyzed wheat protein).
OATMEAL: or avena sativa
BARLEY: hordeum vulgare or maltodextrin (can also be from barley)
RYE: secale cereale
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein can be derived from: Soy, Corn, or Wheat

You can try an Organic Shampoo like these:
4 Legger: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011ESJXRW/ref=sxr_pa_click_within_right_aps_sr_pg1_2?psc=1

Moosh: https://www.amazon.com/Shampoo-Anti...rd_wg=oGlz0&psc=1&refRID=JAJWHDM9F4AVS1AGTC9B

Good luck!

Moms :)

·
Registered
32,590 Posts
Easy, Jax. It was an honest question. That's why I said, "I don't know." No need for the attitude. Sorry.
no attitude here so no reason for you to be rude . I responded to your concern with an honest answer . A person should always ask their own vet and not blindly take medical advice on the internet.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One bite of flea saliva in a dogs system can cause havoc.

Get a "flea comb" and use it all over him to make sure, especially since he tangled with a wood chuck.

Besides the meds mentioned for relief, try Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar.

It has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. You will know it is organic because you will see “The Mother” (which contains the medicinal properties) floating around in the bottle. Other apple cider vinegar is clear.

Make a 50/50 mix of the the Organic ACV with purified water (not city tap water) and after a bath with a mild organic or castile soap/shampoo, rub the Organic ACV mix down into the skin/coat, working in small areas, until the whole dog is covered including legs and belly. Always be careful of eyes (vinegar stings). Let dog drip dry, do not rinse off. You can put the mix in a spray bottle and spray on their coats and specific itchy spots (if skin is not opened) a few times per day till you see improvement. You can also use this mix to wipe out ears. Usually at a health food store, but more and more grocery stores are beginning to carry it. Braggs and Heinz makes them.

Vinegar: ~Internally:
*You can add Organic ACV to each meal. If the dog doesn’t seem to like it, mix the AVC first with a Tablespoon or two of low fat chicken broth, then drizzle over kibble.
“Apple Cider Vinegar has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral properties, primarily coming from the malic acid and acetic acid portion of the vinegar. Apple cider vinegar changes the PH in the system to alkaline because of the ash content. Apple cider vinegar acts as a buffer in the body because the acetic acid reacts with base or acid compounds to form an acetate, therefore rendering them chemically bioavailable for the body's utilization. Additionally, Apple Cider Vinegar can reduce the toxicity of certain compounds by converting the toxin into an acetate compound, which is less toxic. This is why they are ideal for insect bites and certain skin allergies.
• Up to 25# = ½ teaspoon per day
• 25# - 50# = 1 teaspoon per day
• 50# -75# = 2 teaspoons per day
• 75# 100# = 1 Tablespoon per day.

IF you have a dog that is sensitive to grains, beware of other GLUTEN BASED ingredients, with names that we do not recognize, that could be in the Doggie Shampoo that you are using!
WHEAT: hydrolyzed wheat protein or triticum vulgare (wheat) or stearyldimoniumhydroxypropyl (hydrolyzed wheat protein) or hydroxypropyltrimonium (hydrolyzed wheat protein).
OATMEAL: or avena sativa
BARLEY: hordeum vulgare or maltodextrin (can also be from barley)
RYE: secale cereale
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein can be derived from: Soy, Corn, or Wheat

You can try an Organic Shampoo like these:
4 Legger: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011ESJXRW/ref=sxr_pa_click_within_right_aps_sr_pg1_2?psc=1

Moosh: https://www.amazon.com/Shampoo-Anti...rd_wg=oGlz0&psc=1&refRID=JAJWHDM9F4AVS1AGTC9B

Good luck!

Moms :)
Thanks. I ordered the shampoo and a flea comb and will give the apple cider vinegar a try.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Claritin or Zirtec. You can give it every 12 hours
My vet told me the same thing. She said Benadryl, Claritin, or Zyrtec.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
A blue-ribbon, international panel of vet derms came up with a protocol specifying that the first line of attack is to shampoo, ideally with an antimicrobial shampoo -- staph and other microbes can be part of the problem, as they settle in once scratching starts. This also removes contact allergens. Typically they'll tell you to use something containing chlorhexidene, or possibly that plus an antifungal. There are a gazillion brands on Amazon, but I prefer the effectiveness of the 4% chlorhex products (not 2%). Here's an example (brand doesn't matter IMHO--but check out the reviews):
https://www.amazon.com/Dechra-TrizChlor-4-Shampoo-8-Ounce/dp/B00K4X8TF6

My vet sells this stuff at twice the price. Keep it off the head (away from the face) -- but leave it on for the time specified on the bottle (run a timer). Don't be surprised that it's runny and doesn't foam up, as it's not like regular shampoo. I would do this weekly for a few weeks, and see if it helps (it doesn't strip the coat oil like regular shampoo).

This step alone helps a lot of dogs. We go through this shampoo by the gallon in our rescue for itchy dogs. It also minimizes the chance you'll end up with a dog needing oral antibiotics due to skin infection. Regular shampoo will not give you the same kind of benefit, in my experience.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts