German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out moments ago I will be fostering my niece's eight month old neutered Irish Wolfhound!!It will be for a month or so starting Saturday.Anybody familiar with this breed at all?I've never met him but have been assured he's sweet tempered and gentle.
I'm wondering if there's anything unusual or quirky I should be aware of as I ease him into my existing pack.My dogs have never met another dog they didn't like(yet):eek:

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Jealous!!! Most favoritest breed ever!! I know, it's a GSD site, but these are my dream dogs!!

They are sight hounds. So may be quick to chase small things. They need exercise, but probably not more than your dogs now. Not the brightest, by GSD standards.

At this pups age, stil growing, still have no idea of body size, clumsy.

But they are generally good with other dogs, not known for aggression to other dogs, but your dogs may be weirded out by sheer size and movement.

I demand pictures. I am seriously jealous. If I had more than a townhouse, I would have one or two.

·
Super Moderator
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes me less nervous:)Thank you for the information!Samson has never been up close to a dog as big as him so it will be fun.I will post some pics for sure.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Oh I love them! Had one when my daughter was just a toddler and she was the most gentle soul! She came to me from a breeder as a foster because she had some health problems. She didn't stay with me long but she touched my heart.

The biggest thing about them is that they are sight hounds, and she would chase. Very prey driven, but so gentle with my little girl. I have some pictures of her somewhere, if I can find them, I'll scan them and post them.

If I had more space, I would have another, they definitely need room to run!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Jealous!!! Most favoritest breed ever!! I know, it's a GSD site, but these are my dream dogs!!

They are sight hounds. So may be quick to chase small things. They need exercise, but probably not more than your dogs now. Not the brightest, by GSD standards.

At this pups age, stil growing, still have no idea of body size, clumsy.

But they are generally good with other dogs, not known for aggression to other dogs, but your dogs may be weirded out by sheer size and movement.

I demand pictures. I am seriously jealous. If I had more than a townhouse, I would have one or two.
What she said! My Italian Greyhound breeder from a number of years ago had two Irish Wolfhounds. Beautiful, sweet, magnificent beasties! However, as sighthounds, they must be in a fenced area or on leash at ALL times when outdoors. They usually have an intense prey drive, and cannot usually coexist with cats, and small dogs are iffy. My tiny Italian Greyhound (iggy) caught a bird in midflight !-impressive! I would love to see pictures! My main reason for never getting a wolfy is their extremely short lifespan :( It was hard enough losing our Great Dane at only five years old. One of the pitfalls of giant breeds.

·
Super Moderator
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok,then I will definitely keep him leashed always.No letting him free to run to the car or even to the kennel behind the house.I'll have to take him over to the fenced baseball diamond to stretch those big old legs!No free running in the woods for him:)
Appreciate everyone's input!I'm feeling much more confident already:)

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Someone in my neighborhood has two Irish Wolfhounds. They are very sweet - even good with my 30 pound hound mix. I think you will enjoy your visitor.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Many years ago, before I got into dogs (so I didn't really care for dogs one way or another back then), I house sat for some people that had a couple of Irish Wolfhounds. The house was out in the woods, pretty isolated, and I would take the dogs for a walk on the trails everyday.

They were pure joy! They didn't know me, but listened very well. They were calm, and no problem at all in the house. Outside, watching them lope down the trails, they were graceful and beautiful to watch. Always stayed close to me, and responded each time I called them.

I don't know how much of this was training, and how much was their temperament, but I sure enjoyed my stay there.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I echo the positive comments above. Two of my all time favorite dogs were Irish Wolfhounds. My neighbor had two of them named Chewbacca and Kodiak. They were very sweet, gentle souls.

Yup, sight hounds such as these are driven to chase. I saw Kodiak chase down and dispatch a rabbit one time. Towards other dogs and humans they never showed any sort of aggression. At full stride they could cover serious ground in a big hurry.

Quick story: a JRT in our neighborhood came nose to nose with Chewie. The JRT held his ground and stared until Chewie lied down and submitted to him. The JRT was smaller than Chewie's head but had an attitude that was enormous.

Here is a pic of Chewie and Kodiak. I really miss those dogs. I would like to have one myself but an 8 year life span would break my heart too quickly.

Attachments

·
Registered
624 Posts
Giant breeds are short-lived.

They need a lot of food - and space to roam! Not good for an apartment or urban life.

Sighthounds are really country dogs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please google the symptoms of bloat/torsion just in case. Stress can bring it on and once you suspect go to the Vet asap. He is only 8 months and neutered so his growth plates have not closed - I would monitor his exercise and no super long walks, etc. I would shut down any real rough housing too. They live fine with cats and other pets if they have grown up with them. Cats outside though, and especially if they are prone to run, are highly likely viewed as prey even if they do live with them. My 3 are fine with little dogs and have never viewed them as prey. No off leash out of a fenced yard definitely. I am sure he will be a lovely boy to have as a houseguest. Stress related diarrhea could happen - metrozinadole should clear it up. I would ask if his owner has some for him and ask them to include it with his things when they bring him over.

·
Super Moderator
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Giant breeds are short-lived.

They need a lot of food - and space to roam! Not good for an apartment or urban life.

Sighthounds are really country dogs.
I'm just looking after him while my niece is hospitalized and recovering.I only need to keep him safe,fed, and alive for a few weeks.

·
Super Moderator
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I echo the positive comments above. Two of my all time favorite dogs were Irish Wolfhounds. My neighbor had two of them named Chewbacca and Kodiak. They were very sweet, gentle souls.

Yup, sight hounds such as these are driven to chase. I saw Kodiak chase down and dispatch a rabbit one time. Towards other dogs and humans they never showed any sort of aggression. At full stride they could cover serious ground in a big hurry.

Quick story: a JRT in our neighborhood came nose to nose with Chewie. The JRT held his ground and stared until Chewie lied down and submitted to him. The JRT was smaller than Chewie's head but had an attitude that was enormous.

Here is a pic of Chewie and Kodiak. I really miss those dogs. I would like to have one myself but an 8 year life span would break my heart too quickly.
Thanks for the story and picture!I'll have to get some pictures of Ty and my Yorkie together,they have similar coloring and wavy fur.Should be fun!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've only met a couple, owned by the same people, and they were lovely dogs. BIG, well behaved, friendly, coach potatoes, and did I say BIG?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts

Beautiful picture! I, too, would love to have a wolfy, but that short life span would do me in!:(

·
Registered
624 Posts
I've only met a couple, owned by the same people, and they were lovely dogs. BIG, well behaved, friendly, coach potatoes, and did I say BIG?
Irish Wolfies and Great Danes are big lovable lap dogs. There's nothing better they love to do than to snooze with their favorite human on a couch. If you're looking for a dog to burn off energy with, they're not exactly a working dog for that but they will certainly look forward to whatever you want to involve them with.

·
Super Moderator
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well,here he is.His name is Ty,he's about 35" at the shoulder!!The counters are 36".He's very sweet and he and Samson get along fine.The other two don't care for him.Ty has no clue how to greet another dog politely,just sticks his big nose in their faces:)I've been holding him sideways so they can sniff and greet properly but mostly just rotate them around using baby gates right now.A group walk is planned for later today.

I'll try for better pics later.He's light gray with wide dark grey stripes.Don't know if that's considered brindle?

Attachments

·
Registered
941 Posts
What a handsome baby! I'm a new member of this group and mostly lurk to read and learn, but then you posted about IWs so I had to respond. :)

I grew up with GSDs, but have lived with IWs (sometimes 2 at a time) since 1990. Had to euthanize my last wolfhound (a rising 10 year old) last summer due to bloat. Typically, IWs are easygoing mellow breeds that get along well with most dogs. I say 'typically' because there's always the rare exception that is not so mellow with new dogs and high on the protective dimension too (not at GSD levels, but still). Sounds like the intros went well, so I'd just keep an eye on things. Also, he's an adolescent, so all bets are off as to how mellow he might actually be. LOL. IW puppies (and they are often puppies until 3 years of age) can be quite, uh, full of themselves. Again, not as intense as GSDs, but at 120+ teenaged pounds, it can be rather eye-opening. They can easily reach the top of refrigerators, for example, so you may want to rethink your kitchen arrangement... >;)

The biggest concern I would have is to ensure that you're monitoring him for stress (e.g., new setting, with unfamiliar dogs and possibly people) which could lead to a bloat episode. These guys are notoriously stoic, so sometimes even an experienced hand doesn't know that something's amiss until it gets serious. The problem is that guys can go down very, very fast! Doesn't happen very often, thank goodness, but when it does, it can be very scary. Take some time now to figure out emergency transport options so that you won't have to scramble if you need to get him to the vet in a hurry. It's like the proverbial umbrella: If you have it with you, in won't rain! :)

Now that I've probably scared you, just relax and enjoy him. They're very different to GSDs (my favorite fantasy pack would be 2 IWs and a GSD) and quite special.

Aly

·
Super Moderator
5,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Aly!I'm being super careful with him,feeding small amounts three times a day,no strenuous activity.He's enclosed in the kitchen and on a leash in the yard or in the kennel.Just keeping things mellow.I will take another look around for dangerous items on the counters and fridge too:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts