German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum an this is my 1st post. I have 3 dogs, 2 coated GSDs and a Bernese mountain dog. I've been feeding the Wellness Lamb, Barley, and Salmon recipe but with the recent increase in cost I'm forced to look for another food. I've head good things about both Kirkland and TRactir supply brands, but it's important that I feed a high quality food. Any recommendations from the group? Thanks.

·
Registered
352 Posts
In a kibble, my preference would be a family owned, NO RECALLS EVER brand, like Fromm. When I feed kibble,I feed Fromm Gold. If you have a pup, feed Large Breed Puppy Gold. I've spoken to their nutritionist in my travels and was very impressed.

·
Registered
838 Posts
While I definitely second the recommendation for Fromm Family Foods kibbles, they are not exactly what you would call inexpensive, and I believe that was the gist of the OP's question. A good quality food that isn't too expensive, and Wellness (which is what the OP is currently feeding) and Fromm are about the same price ... the Four Star Fromm formulas are actually more expensive than the Wellness Super5Mix formulas that the OP has been feeding and probably more in line with the prices of Wellness's 'Core' line of kibbles.

You don't mention where you live, but if it is available in your area I would recommend looking at Victor Dog Food ( Victor Super Premium Dog Food ). It is made by a small, family owned, company in Texas and produced in one, company owned manufacturing facility. Very affordable and an all around excellent quality food. Only problem is, it is only available in certain areas, and not available anywhere online.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions. The dog food review link was very helpful. After researching I decided to go with Taste of the Wild high prairie formula. I'm disappointed in the Wellness price increases. They went from $44 for a 30lb bag to $58 last May. With 3 big pups, it adds up. I'll start the transition tomorrow and see how it works out. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts