German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I got given a 4yr old purebred girl who is unfixed, she is so overweight that she has troubles walking and her coat is very dry feeling dull and she has dandruff. In all honesty I felt bad for her, although im sure it was because her previous owners were elderly and had mobility problems.

Wondering if anyone can recommend a food that would help to improve her coat as well as help her to slim down? How do I know how much to feed her I dont want to over or under feed her.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Any of the more premium foods will help improve her coat and also cut down on her weight as long as you feed her the appropriate amount for what her weight *should* be, not what it currently is. Also, if you have the capacity, a lot of people feed a BARF diet (bones and raw fed). Meaning, they just feed their dogs raw meat and bones, along with veggies, supplements, etc. It can be cost effective if you can find good deals and buy in bulk, but if that is not an option for you, then here are some of the better quality kibbles:

Orijen
Acana
Fromm
Nature's Variety
Merrick
Blue Buffalo Wilderness
Wellness Core

Also, if you start adding Salmon oil and/or coconut oil to her food, that will help to improve her coat as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts