German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I plan on switching to Raw in the near future but still researching. I'm especially concerned about starting a new puppy who ill be picking up the end of May. I have been reading a lot and balancing for a puppy is the most intimidating aspect of switching over to me. I have found a Raw co-op that delivers to my area and need to place my order soon for the next delivery. This is who i will be using
Farm Dog Raw
Anyone else use them? Any experience with there mixes? i think this would be the easiest way for me to start but would it meet the needs of a puppy? i don't know why but the puppy mix says "no bone" i done understand how that could be complete is it bc the tripe balances it? Any suggestions of items i should buy? I have an adult GSD who is about 80lbs. They say feed a puppy at 3percent of the adult weight. Im estimating my puppy a working line male will be 80lbs too as an adult. I will get specifics from parent weights. Just using 80 for shopping. So at .03 x 80 = 2.4 , i will need roughly 2.4 pounds per dog/day? so for 2 dogs i will need 5lbs. is that a good starting point for an amount to order? Thanks
http://www.farmdograw.com/new-shop-page

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
one reason people choose raw is because they are able to have some control over the quality of the protein that they
are feeding.

even though you are feeding an animal the meat should be human quality . Try for hormone free , antibiotic free .

ask how the meat is sourced.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
one reason people choose raw is because they are able to have some control over the quality of the protein that they
are feeding.

even though you are feeding an animal the meat should be human quality . Try for hormone free , antibiotic free .

ask how the meat is sourced.
From their website "Our products are from the U.S. and are human grade unless otherwise specified. The term "complete" is used when meat, bone and organs are included. All Farm Fresh items are pasture raised at local farms and change with the season"

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From their website "Our products are from the U.S. and are human grade unless otherwise specified. The term "complete" is used when meat, bone and organs are included. All Farm Fresh items are pasture raised at local farms and change with the season"
well i guess i need to read the fine print.Not really fine print but there is a difference in items that are labeled "farm fresh". they also emailed me. They have some items that are denatured. im glad i looked that term up. Im waiting to hear if that is the beef they use in there mixes. i also wonder about all of there beef products now. i emailed but am waiting to hear back but would assume there beef tripe and heart and the rest of the beef products are from "condemned" cows as well. This throws a serious wrench in my plans.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
"The term "complete" is used when meat, bone and organs"

this MAY be balanced -- a good base , but so far from complete .

they may be good , they may be outstanding but i can't rally my confidence in them.

about us -- they discovered raw for themselves only two years ago ?
use of ye olde fashioned , as in Shakespearean speak - terms , wesand - well that is wind pipe
also known as esophagus .
some very novel proteins such as bison at $5 per pound ?
alpaca - another exotic -- how do you arrive at these prices .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts