German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Our family is looking to add our first GSD to our household. My Husband and I have 2 children - a 12 year old son and 4 year old daughter. We also have 3 cats and a Bull Terrier. We are looking for a male Shepherd. My Husband is partially disabled (he can walk with the aide of canes) so we are looking for a low-key temperment. I was leaning towards doing SAR and TDI work with the dog. Our son is a Boy Scout and we watched a demonstration recently and thought it would be a fun avenue to pursue. Can anyone sort of steer us in the right direction? My family has always had Shepherds. My Aunt had a male who died 8 years ago, the best dog in the world, believe it or not from a BYB. My parents had a male from Vom Rheinland - he died last year at the age of 11.5. I have spoken with her but want to explore all avenues before we decide. I want to make sure we end up with the right pup for our situation. As a member (and Treasurer) of the BT Club of New England and a breeder (1 litter to date), I know how hard it is for people to wait for the right animal. It is so easy to see a pup and say "I want that one". I have had my share of dogs with behavioral issues and I am not rushing into anything. You live and learn I guess!

It is nice when people work together and put a site like this for all too learn from. After all it is all about the breed right :)

Thanks for your assistance. I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I suggest you search in the breeder section while waiting for replies. You may also want to list your location so if anyone knows of a breeder in your area they can reply. I would also suggest that you consider consider adopting a rescue gsd. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We live right outside of Boston, MA. I have been searching the other threads and think I have a good idea of the breeder that I feel the most comfortable with, I was just curious to hear more.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
If you're leaning towards wanting to do SAR (do you have any experience in it?) a "low key" dog isn't what I would be thinking of. Off switch? Yes. Low key? Not particularly.

That said, somebody may disagree/correct my assessment

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I think vom Rheinland would definitely be a place I'd be checking out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts