German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping for some guidance ---- Need Help TODAY with recommendations please

Both dogs are on Heartgard monthly--I happened to notice 2 days ago little tiny worms (look like thread) -
They are due to get their monthly heartgard medicine on Saturday according to calendar
I've been looking at different wormer meds and my head is spinning

was leaning towards giving them either Broad Spectrum dewormer -- Safegard --- Sentry 7 way Wormer

my questions
--- which one is best of the 3 above
---Can I give them the dewormer on Saturday AND give them their Heartgard Pill
----OR do I hold off giving the Heartgard Pill …..and for how many days (as I do not want to over-medicate)
Thank you for all who reply

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
We can't answer that question on which dewormer without a fecal test identifying the worms. I'd guess they might be rounds, but they could be tapes, and there could even be hooks and whips in there that are microscopic and invisible to the naked eye. It's VERY common for dogs to have multiple parasites.

If they're roundworms, either the Sentry or the Safeguard would work. If there are invisible whipworms, the Safeguard would work but Sentry won't. If they're tapeworms, Safeguard probably won't help...but Sentry might. See the problem? Without knowing what you've got, it's hard to know which one is best.

Safeguard 8-in-1 is Fenbendazole -- same as Panacur -- it's an excellent, broad dewormer. It needs to be given for 3-5 days to be effective, and it kills rounds (and hooks and whips)...but not most kinds of tapeworms. Tapes require Praziquantel instead (which is in the Sentry, but the Sentry won't cover whips).

If you have a good relationship with the vet, sometimes they'll let you bring in a ziplock bag with a sample of fresh poop and not even charge an exam fee. The fecal test is cheap (possibly $25 or so) because all they do is mount some poop on a slide and look at it under the microscope.

I wouldn't hold off on giving heartworm prevention during peak mosquito season (= NOW) -- your dog could end up with heartworms (which are very difficult to treat -- it's a $1000+ treatment plan and 3 months of crate rest--not worth the risk!). Check with your vet to be sure, but I would be surprised if there's any interaction between Safeguard and Heartguard. I frequently use Advantage Multi (a different HW prentative) at the same time as Panacur (same active ingredient as Safeguard) when I pull dogs out of the shelter for the rescue -- and we usually deworm for 5 days. Many vets only deworm for 3 days, but we have found that 5 is more likely to get them all because the worm loads in our rescue dogs are so high. However, if your dog doesn't have much of a worm burden, 3 might be fine. This is where the advice of a good vet is so helpful!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts