German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a 5 month old German Shepherd Puppy named Theo. We have had him a month, and the breeder that we adopted him from had never put a leash on him or done any training. The only thing he did very well is go in the crate and he doesnt whine in there. But now we are having an issue with him got potty in there. We have a large crate but we have a divider, so I know it’s not that. We are taking him to the bathroom right before we put him in there. Also, he maybe in there a max of 2 hours. Very rarely do we have a potty incident within the night. It generally just during the day. Also, my wife believes that he could have been eating his poop as well.

·
Registered
844 Posts
From what I understand, dogs don't like to poop where they sleep. So they clean up their den area by eating their poop. My dog never pooped in the house since he was a small puppy. And he never was interested in his own poop. In the last few months of his life, he had fecal incontinence and would poop a lot in the house - while he was in the middle of eating, or while he was sleeping, and also on car rides. He knew he did wrong and he would try to eat it all up right away.

The other theory is that dogs only eat their poop because of their food. Either they're not getting enough, or the food doesn't have what they need. What are you feeding him?

He's still very young so you have to take him out more often...after play, after eating, after sleep...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Taking him out to relieve himself is one thing, but what percentage of the time is he actually doing it? If you take him out and he doesn't relieve himself, you either have to wait longer or take him out again within a short period of time.

·
Registered
15,889 Posts
So he does fine all night... Is he fine loose in the house when you are home during the day? Maybe crated too long during the day and as Chip suggested, not defecating outdoors when given the opportunity.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I would recommend getting him out a little more during the day so he is exercised and nice and tired. And then putting him back in the crate after you have seen him go to the bathroom.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Exercise him.. maybe if he pee's in his cage then he gets left out... He's not peeing cuz his bladder is full not @ 5 months old. He can hold all night. Exercise him

1 - 6 of 6 Posts