German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greta recently has had dry craked lips at the back of her mouth on both sides. I noticed a tiny bit of blood on my bedspread on Wednesday and checked out her lips more closely. One side of her mouth is bleeding a little bit. For the last couple of weeks, I have been applying lip balm to her lips which doesn't seem to be doing much. They don't appear to be as dry but still not normal. Since I noticed that one side was bleeding a little, I has been applying Bag Balm but have only been doing it for two days so too early to tell if it is working.

Does anyone know what causes this and have any recommendation for treatment? While each of my GSDs have educated me with other problems, this one is a first. Any advice will be appreciated.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Brady gets that too. Usually from playing ball
I wouldn't worry, I would leave them alone if they don't get better in a week then I'd call vet and ask

·
Registered
913 Posts
I thought my new boy, Hans was the only one. He has it, too, but only on the left side. I thought he had some crud stuck to his lip, so I took a warm washcloth to it and he whined. Then, I realized I was trying to wipe his lip off! Hans plays A LOT of ball and frisbee, so what Dawn says makes since. I just left it alone and it got better.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dawn and ShepsRgr8. Greta too is a ball and frisbee nut so what both of you are saying makes sense. I became more worried when I saw it start to bleed a bit.

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
I used plain Chapstick on Max and it worked great!

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Brady's will bleed a little bit too
Nothing to worry about, sometimes it's one side
I tried to put vaseline on it way back when that was way more work then the outcome.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear you there. Trying to put the lip balm or the Bag Balm on Gret can be somewhat challenging. This morning it was darn near impossible once she saw me pack her food and treats for the weekend. She knows she is going bye-bye and is way too busy for any grooming after that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts