German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a pair of coyotes setting up house under her shrubbery, despite the presence of her nearly 100lb. Anatolian Shepherd mix who chases them whenever he gets the chance. Does anyone have any suggestions for encouraging them to find a new homesite? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
We've had a few coyotes around here. When they get that brave, to stay around humans, you might have to call animal control (if they will come humanely trap them).

My only other idea is to trim the shubbery so there is about an 18" gap at the bottom. Then they won't want to stay there.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Animal Control wouldn't take them and said she would have to call a private trapper, which she was reluctant to do because she was told the coyotes couldn't be relocated and would be euthanized. Trimming the shrubbery is a good idea. Thanks!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Sounds to me like there is no fencing in place? Since the Anatolian chases them away, I am assuming the dog is kept indoors or in another part of the property most of the time because the area with the shruberry has no fencing. So an obvious suggestion is put fencing in place.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She uses an electric fence--another argument for having a real one: the electric fence doesn't keep anything or anyone out.

·
Banned
1,754 Posts
Unfortunately it sounds like there really not to much that can be done if your friend doesn't want them trapped, They will grow braver and sounds like trouble is just around the corner.

What part if Illinois are they at, cause we have them but our guy's usually keep them far away

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe coyotes are in every county in Illinois. They seem to travel close to waterways, but it sounds like you have a pretty strong deterrent. Safety in numbers.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Coyotes here are shot and killed as there pelts are sold to trappers (yes even in the year 2010). But I agree trim the bush's. If she doesn't want to do that, she could probably steak the tree around it and use some plastic snow fence to keep them out till they move on in there travels.
I live in southern Ontario, and if coyotes start hanging around humans they are usually sick (here anyway) most coyotes will run away from most humans and pets. They carry rabies, distemper and many other illness's like ring worm and mange to name a few.

Good luck!! and let us know what she has decided to do

·
Registered
542 Posts
If you have a big dog, there's nothing to worry about with coyotes. They're just trying to survive with human encroachment everywhere. On the other hand, if you have cats, keep them as indoor cats if you want to still have a cat. But that's true if there are GSDs in the neighborhood too.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can't you pee in a bag and poor it where they are living or get some other strong pee?

Coyotes wouldn't want to stay there if they smell a scent of a bigger animal?

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Where I live, coyotes are a big nuisance, especially to our neighbor who has a sheep farm. He has had coyotes come right into his barn and kill sheep, and he ended up getting a permit from the State to eradicate coyotes on his property. We've found that once we started shooting at them, they moved on to other property around us and leave us alone.

Obviously, that's not much of a solution if you live in town or have close neighbors, but if you're in a rural area / no neighbors and it's legal to hunt them, you may want to consider it.

·
Registered
30,388 Posts
You need to call your game warden, not animal control. Your game warden should be able to help you with either advice or trapping them.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
My advice is, OBVIOUSLY when they aren't home, trim the shrubs... Get a motion-sensing alarm and stick it out there... Knowing how big the area is would help. How big is the shrubbery patch?

http://www.fundwildlife.org/coexist/coyotes.html
"
Battery operated flashing lights, tape recorded human noises, scattered moth balls and ammonia-soaked rags strategically placed may deter coyotes from entering your property. "

Hot crushed peppers also deter dogs from my fence, I would think they would do the same with a 'yote.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Oh for crying out loud, people. Read the news, these varmints aren't looking for anything but their next meal. Wheather that's a rabbit, cat, small dog, or if they work in a group they can take out a good sized dog also. They are smart critters, they scavenge what they can, and kill what they have to. When they bite a kid or harrass a bigger animal, be it dog or human, you will then know what to do. Don't call for help take matters in your own hands. Safety first, is what I always say.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
Coyotes fascinate me.

As far as the repellants, artificial big cat (as in lion or even medium size cat as in cougar) urine or the real stuff manure from a zoo will probably give them pause. The trouble is the potential effect on your dogs. I used some deer repellant once to discourage squirrels from digging up newly planted bulbs. Barker the Elder was very upset. She laid down on that spot & I had to drag her away - She was PLANTED! Barker the Younger wasn't the least bit phased. No squirrels messed with those bulbs, though.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I HATE Coyotes, we are terrorized by these animals where I live and even though it's not legal to shoot them, everyone here does. I have lost cats, rabbits and a Chihuahua to these &[email protected] and now have a pellet gun that I use if they are anywhere near my fenceline, I actually had a pack harassing one of my weanling foals, now that I have 3 German Shepherds and the gun the coyotes are finally showing fear of me when I am out in my yard, but it's a constant war as I have 4 small terriers that they are constantly stalking from their side of the fence, they see me grab my gun though and they hit the road.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts