German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! So I'm struggling to teach my 3YO GSD to run ahead of me while I'm biking or running. She will usually trot next to me and lately even behind me. I think she gets more and more bored with every running/biking session. I keep them short, I don't run her in hot weather or sth, she is not injured. Some time ago she would really enjoy our running or biking activities and I bought her a bikejoring harness because I thought of doing bikejoring and canicross with her and going to some competitions. If she wasn't so bored with the sport maybe we were standing a good chance winning some of those events because I'm a mountain biker myself and she is a schutzhnd dog who trains hard,eats healthy and seems to be very good at running. She could run around blinds again and again, she is obssesed with endlessly playing fetch, she won't get tired after running on the beach after her ball again and again or jumping off a dock again and again to swim after the ball...but this canicross thing doesn't motivate her athletic nature at all :grin2: .
She doesn't care if she is in her bikejoring harness, on a regular collar, on or off leash...she just won't enjoy this activity and that's it. She has a weight pulling harness too and we sometimes do weight pulling for fun so she is familiar with pulling something in a harness. I don't expect her to pull though...just run ahead. She would trot unimpressed and wait patiently for it to be over. How can I reward her when running because I never do and maybe that's why she doesn't find any motivation? She has pretty much fun working for a toy and even food(she's not a picky eater) and I believe that she would find the fun in the canicross/bikejoring thing if I reward her properly. My other dog didn't need to be rewarded for running after the bike. Thanks to him I got into the mountain bike world and won multiple events. Unfortunately he was diagnosed with degenerative myelopathy 1.5 years ago so I can't take him running to show her how it's done.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
My GSD was like this. She just wanted to be with me, she didn't want to pull. That was OK, my malinois love skijoring and pulling, and I just let my GSD run along with us. Pulling wasn't her thing, we did a bit of it when she was real young, but phased it out. She was such a good dog, she'd always stay right with us even off leash.

I don't reward for pulling, not with a tug or treat or anything. I'll give a verbal reward at times. You could. But if the pulling and running isn't intrinsically motivating for the dog, it might be a challenge. Have you tried having her run and pull really short distances and then rewarding, then pairing with a command, and trying to extend the time and distance?

What about having her chase a friend or other dog in harness, and encouraging pulling that way? Be careful, though, you don't want to make her chase dependent and you want to make sure she can cleanly pass another dog/person.

·
Registered
7,515 Posts
I do bikejoring for fun and it’s sporadic and not for miles and miles.
I have not started with my female but thinking she may like it. They either like it or don’t I suppose. Max I started off when he was young with the one of my kids at the other end of the trail.We have a very long ride dirt path near our house. They would call his name and Max would run as fast just to meet up with them and I would say mush and praise him. It was very fun and exciting I’m pretty sure we both enjoyed it. Did this a few times and then transferred that with just ourselves to the narrow paths in the woods. I think the narrowness of the path kept us on track. Always and with both dogs either on walks or bike rides the dog would want to forge ahead if one of the members of the group strayed ahead. So with this it was easy to bring forward some speed. So if you have a family member ride ahead of you in May bring some speed and excitement just if pass or meet up with the family member that’s ahead. Try different harnesses.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts