German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently Thunder started barking while he's in the back yard.At first it wasn't bad once in awhile,but it's becoming a habit especially at night.He'll be quiet laying down chewing a toy all the sudden his head snaps up and he starts barking away loud too.I've tried to teach quiet with little success,I say quiet he stops looks at me I click treat then he gos right to barking.He's not barking constantly just when something gets his attention which is often. I have woods behind my house so I believe he's barking at animals.It's to the point now I have to let him go potty and bring him right inside.I don't want him upsetting my neighbors.I'm also afraid me constantly bringing him in every time he barks is teaching him barking is bad I don't want that.Somehow I need to teach when to bark like if someone is to close to the fence.My neighborhood isn't the best place.I also remember an incident many years ago when an escaped criminal found his way into the woods behind my house a situation where I would want him to bark if this person got too close.We take walks in these woods everyday so he knows what's back there.Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention I have tried redirecting his attention with tug of war which is his favorite game,but that's not working well either.He wants to play and does but still will stop look in the direction of the distraction and bark,he's more interested in whatever it is he hears or smells.It's hard to break his focus when he locks on something.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts