German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP PLEASE….Sasha has met and played with my dad before. Last weekend on the second day of being with him, about the afternoon she started barking and backing up when at my dad when she saw him coming close to her or walking in her direction. This was after a very nice smooth boat ride on a beautiful day on the water. I do not want her to be acting like this towards my father. And we were in their house. She has been in their house a couple of times and never acted this way before.

After she acted this way, my dad gave her treats (her treats) and a special treat a piece of cheese, which she loved!! But then after she went to barking again.

Anyone have any suggestions or why she would all of a sudden act this way?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Have your dad completely ignore her, no eye contact and no touching. By being neutral he minimizes any threat she may see and that should slow and hopefully stop the barking. Also by not reacting to the barking he's also sending signals to her that barking at him doesn't make him move or act any differently. If she runs away or startles, he still needs to project calm energy and completely ignore it.

If she doesn't bark, have him toss treats in her general direction a few times, still not physically acknowledging her. As she learns that he's not a threat and then that he brings good things (like treats) he'll start being a positive thing in her life.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts