German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you let your GSD sleep in your bed with you?

My wife and I are "debating" on whether or not to let Kaiser sleep in our bed with us. We have a large king size bed so even when he is full size it won't be a space issue.

Kaiser is 10 weeks right now and we have a second crate in our room with us that he does well with. On a couple of our middle of the night potty breaks that happen only a few hours before we have to get up, we have let him just sleep in our bed with us until the alarm goes off. He sleeps much better in our bed and loves to be up there.

Does anyone let there dog sleep with them and if so what sort of issues do you have (both good and bad). Wondering if I should stop this now or if it is ok to let this one go.

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
No, no, and more no. Your puppy is WAY too young not to be crated when you are sleeping. You just might wake up to a new hole in your bed or discover he got off the bed and chewed on something that could make him sick or dead. When he's older and safe to have loose in the house, then you can take up the matter of having him in bed with you or not.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
No, no, and more no. Your puppy is WAY too young not to be crated when you are sleeping. You just might wake up to a new hole in your bed or discover he got off the bed and chewed on something that could make him sick or dead. When he's older and safe to have loose in the house, then you can take up the matter of having him in bed with you or not.
Justin, I totally agree with Elaine. Puppy cannot be trusted if you doze off. I learned the hard way :).

We have a king size bed too and my husband said that Mac would never sleep with us...ever!!! Mac's 10 months now and sleeps in our bed every night LOL.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
NOOOOO spells NO! Haha. Way too young. He needs to learn to sleep in a crate and that whining and crying doesn't mean he gets to come cuddle with mom and dad. He could get hurt in bed. He could just off the bed and get himself into trouble. He could dedcid he's your "equal" and respect you less. All around it's not a good idea, as much fun as puppy cuddles are.

You need to wait until he doesn't need to be crated to make the choice, and I'd do it based on his personality. Some dogs get attitude them they get to share a bed with you. Some don't. My husband waited a year to let Elsa sleep in bed with us, and she was an adult when we got her. Only allowed on the bed at "bed time" and she respects it. And I tell you, first time she ignored a command or got saucy with me...there would be no bed time.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I would say 'no'.

I let Sobacca sleep in my bed. But Minna is a big fat no on sleeping in the bed. She is 5 months old and I know if she slept in the bed she wouldn't sleep the entire night. At least in her crate she knows it is sleepy time and even when she wakes up off and on throughout the night she'll go right back to sleep and not wake anyone up wanting to play. It'll be a while before she's allowed to sleep a whole night in bed with us.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I agree with what the other posters are saying too about respect. Mac will sleep on the bedroom floor until he's invited up.

·
Registered
164 Posts
One of our dogs sleeps in bed with us but only after he turned one, and even then we had a baby gate up for another few months after that. He had to proove himself to us.

Navah, is six months and she will be sleeping in her crate for awhile. I just dont trust her, she chews on everything and so quietly i dont think id wake up. Its just safer that way... plus she is a MAJOR bed hog! When my boyfriend wakes up for work he lets her out for our morning snuggles, but only if im awake.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Our dogs started being allowed to sleep on the bed at about 1 year old. Mostly, though, they've always just come up for loving and then jumped down to sleep. I think they got crowded.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Wait until your pup is 5 or 6 mths old that what we did!!!!

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I let one dog sleep in my bed - Balto. He usually doesn't stay up there all night, plus he will get down if I say, "get down, Balto". At about 6 am, I let my female join us, but I don't get any sleep after that. When I want a good night's sleep, the dogs sleep downstairs.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Our first shepherd did but never again. We've never had a problem with fleas but we're in tick country. Dog and deer ticks. Advantix works but ticks still do find their way on to the dogs...I don't want them crawling off the dog and on me while I'm sleeping. euwwww

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I have to agree with a big NO. Not only the issues that he is to young but as he gets older it could become an issue with dominance. He should only be on the bed if invited, later!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I guess I totally stink because Zoe though crated when we are gone for the day is allowed to sleep in our bed. As a pup she stayed there, but now that she is older sleeps on the floor at the foot of the bed. When she went through her first heat she was crated at night without issue, and never has destroyed anything at night at least,lol. A word of caution from me is that king size bed will NOT be enough room for you all to sleep comfortable when she is full grown- they sprawl out and take up half the bed:)

·
Registered
929 Posts
shilo was a heavy sleeper,, she always slept with me, but my room is pretty much empty and i puppy proofed everything!! like barriers everywhere. but she slept by me alll night

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
If you set your pup up now to learn to sleep in the crate (and enjoy it) you can do what ever makes you happy once it's older. Think about if you take your dog with you to a friends house and ya'll are going to spend the night. Having the dog in your friends bed is different then a dog in yours. Some folks don't care for having animals up on their furniture. I can crate my GSD anytime, anywhere and he is perfectly quiet. No worries about taking him with us, anyplace.

My GSD wasn't allowed on the bed. He is now a year old, and hubby lets him jump up there for some one on one time. However, Hondo always jumps back down when he is ready to sleep.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
So how won the argument?? I have no desire to sleep with dogs, any dogs- a big noisy husband is more than enough beast to sleep with. My pups slept in a crate by the bed for the first couple of weeks, then crated in the kitchen. Once Stosh turned 5 mos I let him out to have free run of the uncarpeted areas of the house. And I haven't caught any furry little bottoms on the carpet yet!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Your pup is way too young to be sleeping w/ you right now.

Miikka sleeps with us but she didn't start to do this until she was about 7 months old, or so. She is a very good sleeper! Once she is in bed she does not move until the morning (unless she has to go potty, then she'll wake either DH or I up).

Miikka usually sleeps curled up down by my feet. Every once in a while she’ll work her way up and lay between DH and I, putting her head on the pillow and stretching out. I actually prefer she does that because then I can stretch out too!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I would say keep the puppy in the crate. They may be little and cute now, but they are going to grow to be BIG and cute, and trying to break a habit is going to be hard for the dog if that's what he learned from the get-go.

Plus letting him cry in the crate will also help to show him that it's OK to be out of your sight. He will get over it soon enough. We put a blanket partially covering Jackson's crate at night, and he never cried (his crate was next to our lab's, so that probably has something to do with the no-crying). He slept on the main level, we were up-stairs.

Then there's the hair, and ticks you will find on yourself in your bed. I went to bed and woke up with a tick on me just from having my clothes from the woods in the bedroom with me!

Just all around not a good idea IMO.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
If you set your pup up now to learn to sleep in the crate (and enjoy it) you can do what ever makes you happy once it's older. Think about if you take your dog with you to a friends house and ya'll are going to spend the night. Having the dog in your friends bed is different then a dog in yours. Some folks don't care for having animals up on their furniture. I can crate my GSD anytime, anywhere and he is perfectly quiet. No worries about taking him with us, anyplace.

My GSD wasn't allowed on the bed. He is now a year old, and hubby lets him jump up there for some one on one time. However, Hondo always jumps back down when he is ready to sleep.
Great point Lilie. That's very true. We took the dogs camping this summer. They both had their crates along and slept fine away from home.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I don't even understand why people want to sleep with their dogs, but apparently I'm in the minority.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts