German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 year old loves to chase his tail. He will do it for hours on end, and we cannot figure out how to redirect his energy. He has done it since he was about 2 years old. He does it when he get super excited I.E: when someone comes over, or we get home.....or he will do it when he is bored i think. We have tried to direect him away from it by playing with toys. He will stop and play for a bit, then go back at it. We now have a 4 month old pup in the house, and for a while it was gone.........now he is back to his spinning and its driving us CRAZY! We have had company over and he will spin almost the entire time they are here. Any ideas or tips to stop this would be greatly appreciated!!

Both dogs are shepherds...both get lots of outside time, and lots of toys!

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
At 5 years old I doubt there is too much you can do about. An option is to consult a vet SPECIALIZED in behaviour problems and familiar with stereotypical behavior, some dogs get a bit better with medicines but revert back as soon as they are taken off. Unfortunately, after 3 years of doing it his brain is already shaped that way. I've seen a few cases (interestingly, all GSDs) and none got better unless for short times with increasing doses of drugs.

·
Registered
445 Posts
My dog Apollo does it. He is a year and 4 months though. I adopted him and he came with a docked tail because the previous owners said he chewed his tail to the bone. She said the vets even put him on human prozac. Since I've had him he doesn't do it quite as often as when I first got him. He also gets a lot more exercise and mental stimulation so it helps.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts