German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is that indicative of if anything?

Ava did it once on Sunday, once on Monday but was still eating like a horse.

Asked for breakfast this morning, but when I gave her the bowl, refused it. I thought it was the salmon oil, gave her a new dish with no oil, refused it.

Offered her a treat (normally lose my fingers) and she spit it out.

Offered her the emergency Arby's and she refused it. That is what I use to gauge a dog's interest in food since they all will kill me for a bite of Arby's.

She has never NOT eaten-even after she impaled her foot on a crate panel.

She is sleeping right now. I have a call into the vet office. Now just waiting...

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Hmmmm....we haven't had that before. So I'm not sure. Just sending good wishes and hope it's nothing. (We had yellow bile vomit for the first time in a few months today -- is it the moon?!!!)

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Sounds like bile. Rafi was doing this every morning at about 6 am because his stomach was empty. Chama also used to do it in the morning and then her tummy would hurt from acid build-up and she would refuse to eat no matter what I put in front of her. Is her tummy making any noise?

Wait--I'm rereading now. she didn't throw up this morning, just Sunday? Is her stomach making noise?

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ava wants to be like Gracie, Camper, Rafi...etc!

Sunday and Monday not today.

No eating today.

Stomach-heard one gurgle. Temp was 101.9.

Wouldn't drink regular water or eat grass but did drink the broth water.

She also just ate a few tiny treats that I buy in bulk from Wellness-they are fingernail size. But refused her breakfast meal...and Arby's.

Then I am thinking maybe it's her food-maybe she's getting some kind of bad reaction to it that the others are not.

I am afraid to try to give her one of Kramer's other dried foods-or should I? I don't want her to eat something because it's new and hurt herself, yet if she wants to eat????

I have never seen her refuse her meal. I am concerned she may have eaten something like paper and is blocked or atypically bloated. Of course I am-and it just could be upset stomach, nausea or something very simple.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I can't prove it, but I've always found that white foam vomit (different from yellow bile vomit) can be a sign of a very serious health issue. Thankfully your girl's only done it twice on two separate days, but given she's also not eating, IMHO she should go to the doctor.

Normally I associate white foam vomit with anything from some type of a partial digestive tract blockage that can be due to anything including a build up of gas ballooning a portion of the intestines to full blown stomach torsion.

I've taken dogs to the vet or ER based on the only symptom being vomiting white foam. Using this criteria, JR survived both messenteric torsion and 14 months later stomach bloat w/torsion - Kelly survived stomach bloat w/torsion - and Bruiser almost died when he was a young puppy from viral enteritis (sp) that ballooned a portion of his instestines (and I think beginning quick treatment, including emergency surgery, was the only thing that saved his life). Echo vomited the white foam with his bloat w/torsion, but he also had all the classic bloat symptoms and would have been rushed to the vet despite vomiting white foam. I've been wrong twice, both times with Niki who had some type of obstruction that cleared up by itself.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Obviously I am extremely jaded (from having lots of pukey dogs) because white foam isn't particularly alarming to me but I'm sure Gayle is right. What is bothering me is that she's not interested in anything, even Arby's. If she isn't feeling well then I wouldn't feed her just to feed her because that could upset her digestive tract. If she misses a few meals she'll be fine. It's good that she's drinking broth.

What about giving her some gas-x?

And yes to the food. I have had dogs that were fine and then bam, they weren't. It seems like sometimes the food builds up in their system and then there's a toxic reaction.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm just waiting for them to call back.

I also got an e-mail from a Mal(amute) person who had experiences with two dogs like Gayle. So yeah-I go back and forth from panic level red to tan or taupe or whatever the low ones are.

I can give her Gas-X. Of course I am having huge problems not trying to get her to eat-it must be the Italian in me. Anna's laying down right next to her even though it's not one of her usual spots.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Oh, I know. I do that with Chama and believe you me, missing a few meals would be good for her!

It's always alarming when the food snarfers refuse food.

Wouldn't you just feel better if you loaded her up and took her into the vet? Now I'm worrying!

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to sneak her back into the kitchen and do a sampling of dry foods - like one or two pieces - to see if its the food they are eating.

Then if the vet office doesn't call (this is an hour-very unusual-but I had to wait to just get through to a receptionist which is unusual) I am going to call and just take her in.

She did rush the fence to bark at something I couldn't see when I had her out-so that was good I guess.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay-I did the gas-x. Gave up on working for the day-she's going in at 4 and I will work tonight. Until then I will stare at her.

She has had some water on her own, she wanted to play (she's leashed to me now outside) with Anna and Mario, BUT she didn't want to harass Nina like usual. She did eat a tiny bit of dry food-but just has that "look" about her.

I am going to ask for an x-ray I think-just so I can be sure and not worry all night. Ava has been known to eat paper, etc. so I don't feel quite so weird asking.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks!

Vomit isn't that common here-those full body heaves that toss up a meal-yeah, they happen every once in a while. But thankfully, what happens in the gut stays in the gut. So this little white foam two times on two days and then lack of appetite is unusual.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Ok, Jean-- Ava has GOT to be just fine! She is too cute to be seriously sick.
I am glad you are bringing her in. Your vet knows her, her history, and will have seen this before I am sure. He will re-take her temp, do the x-ray.. if there is a blockage, it will be obvious. It may also be something vague that goes away and never returns-- which is what I am hoping for Ava!

By the way, a friend's dog was doing this same thing.. same behavior, too-- and the vet REALLY did a thorough exam. Guess what? Spider bite to the very back of the tongue! Inflamed, red, horrible-looking-- responded very quickly to meds.

Whatever it is, please let us know how Ava is! HUGS to you and Miss Ava,
Patti and Da Grimm

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Jean, the white foam is what was happening with Cooper when we had that recent bloat scare. He foamed two days as well. I didn't think anything of it the first day but then it happened a few times the second day. While we'll never know if he was starting to bloat, his stomach was full of gas and his spleen was enlarged. I think the Gas-X was a good precaution. Cooper didn't want to eat either. The vet was looking for an obstruction also. Let us know how she does at the vet.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you both.

I am going to have a look for bee stings-they've been snapping at some bees so you never know.

That's right-he did do that. It's almost like a bloat lite. Was he pretty tired acting? She's not whining, pacing, or anything like that, just laying down quietly.

I am impatiently waiting! I will update later tonight!

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
I don't remember how Cooper was earlier in the day, but then he started panting and looked distressed. The vet said he was gulping in air which was adding to the gas.

It was interesting reading Gayle's post, I agree about the white foam being so different than vomit. Have certainly seen my share of vomit around here and this was nothing like it. It was literally like he was foaming at the mouth. I'm not saying that's what's going on with Ava, just wanted to add it for FYI pruposes for everyone else.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes-she hasn't done that today, which is the weird thing, but it was like you would think of "mad dog" kind of foam. But when she had the spit up, she was fine, active, and eating.

Now she looks great. I am going to look like the crazy lady again. Oh well-I think going with our gut is the best thing to do and the worst thing that can happen is feeling a little silly if nothing is wrong. I can live with that.

Thanks-good information-that poop post with all the types of poop-I was wishing there was a serious vomit one.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAAN

Thanks-good information-that poop post with all the types of poop-I was wishing there was a serious vomit one.
I could probably tell more about vomit than anyone could ever want to know. LOL!

I may be avoiding the health section for awhile. There seems to be a pattern going on here.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
I agree. I'd rather look like the crazy lady than have something bad happen. I did that with Ris once because she was acting anxious in class and I was worried about her. We did X-rays and an enema at an emergency clinic and found out nothing was wrong with her (other than being a little constipated). Nothing beats peace of mind.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAAN
Now she looks great. I am going to look like the crazy lady again. Oh well-I think going with our gut is the best thing to do and the worst thing that can happen is feeling a little silly if nothing is wrong. I can live with that.
That happens to me almost everytime....he is miserable, lethargic throwing up, refusing meals...and desperate..I rush to the vet...and when we get there he is so excited to see everyone.....they think I'm crazy...

Glad to here Ava si doing better. Hugs from Safir and I

1 - 20 of 48 Posts