German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Emma has finished with being in heat, she has become even more agressive than before, now even Df can't come near me without me having to hold her back, it's like she's gotten way over protective of me...Not to mention it's like she grew up over night, a puppy one night then boom a filled out dog the next

Also, she is trying me I know, she has decided that using the bathroom (#2) in the house is best for her, even though we keep correcting her, she still will go out, pee, and then turn around come in and within steps of the door do her business right there in front of you, then run to another room and try to hide...What's with that, anyone have this issue before? She was doing so good and not had 1 accident in the house for atleast 4 months, and all of a sudden this came on...Any suggestions? She has been to the vet in the last week and she is healthy and couldn't find a thing wrong with her. Help!!!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
It sure sounds like a medical problem to me. Aggression like that from such a young dog is not normal, nor is pooping in the house.

What kind of training have you done with her? Is she still having issues with your other dog? Have there been any changes in her/your life? Food changes? Anything that could have scared her outside?

What do you do when she charges your DH?

Did you get her spayed yet, I can't remember.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's getting spayed next week. Her issue with the other dog has gone away, and they're back to being best buds again. Not really any food changes, except we had to go back to kibble since raw feedings just wasn't working for her, she started vomiting it up, the vomiting has stoped, but now the pooping (not diareah)?.

The only thing I think might have scared her was that old male mutt that keeps coming around, we're trying to catch him and take him to a friend who's willing to take him in, but he's a bit skiddish. There is also Coyotes around, since we live in the country, but she's not yet seen one, but maybe have heard their howels?

When she charges Df I take her by the coller and say "No, be nice, sit!" She knows that command, but she is just being stubborn, I don't know why all of a sudden she no longer wants him around I was thinking she's trying to take lead in the pack, but why humans, is my question? this morning when he came over to give me a kiss, she just rose up on her back legs and started trying to box and bite at him...I don't know what it is. Maybe just playing?

Hopefully when she gets spayed it will calm her hormones a bit, and some aggression will stop.

·
Registered
964 Posts
The BM in the house is handler error. You should not be brining her back in until business is complete. If she does return without haveing done her business then put her in the crate.

If I were to guess I would say she is spoiled and the training has been too lax. What was cute as a puppy or only slightly annoying has taken on a new demension noe hormones are added to the mix.

She is running the show. This needs to stop. Do you practice NILIF?

How do you handle her inappropriate behavior? This will continue to get worse unless you establish yourself as the leader instead of Emma.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted By: mjb03The BM in the house is handler error. You should not be brining her back in until business is complete. If she does return without haveing done her business then put her in the crate.

If I were to guess I would say she is spoiled and the training has been too lax. What was cute as a puppy or only slightly annoying has taken on a new demension noe hormones are added to the mix.

She is running the show. This needs to stop. Do you practice NILIF?

How do you handle her inappropriate behavior? This will continue to get worse unless you establish yourself as the leader instead of Emma.
We are trying to get her into a training class, desperatly so, the place that's near is not accepting new dogs for a few weeks, so I'm thinking we may have to travel a bit further, so we can get this started asap.

We try to practice NILIF...but I'm not sure exactly how to go about doing it...She is rewarded with treats only if she's done a good job or has been a very good girl, am I doing this wrong?

thanks about taking her to her crate if she had not finished her job outside, I wasn't sure if that would be like punishment or not? because we do not use the crate as a punishment.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Originally Posted By: Jenniferky
We try to practice NILIF...but I'm not sure exactly how to go about doing it...She is rewarded with treats only if she's done a good job or has been a very good girl, am I doing this wrong?
Here are a couple of sites re NILIF.

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm
http://www.greyhoundlist.org/nothing_is_free.htm

It is not just about treats, it is more that your dog has to earn any reward rather than be given the reward whenever the dog demands it - the reward is not only treats, it is attention, petting, playing, etc. NILIF also helps the dog see you as the one in charge.

·
Registered
15,940 Posts
There is no successful "correction" regarding defecating in the house. She is doing it and running because she knows you will do your "correction" whatever it is.

I have found dogs are much more apt to relieve themselves after a bit of running around or other excersize. What I would do is to take her for a short walk, then walk around the yard until something happens. If it doesn't, another course would be to move her inside but then quickly back out again. My thoughts here are that she is somehow stimulated to go when she comes inside so if you get her back out before she defecates, she will have been stimulated enough that dumping outside is a given.

If that doesn't work - collect a deposit and plant it outside.

Still doesn't do the trick? No one likes this suggestion but the youngest gave me grief about not relieving herself when we were at shows. I didn't have two to three hours to walk around so -- use about 1/4 to 1/2 of a human pre-mix enema. You need to administer this outdoors, with dog's butt elevated a bit. Use a lubricating jelly to coat the tip of the applicator. You will have results within a matter of minutes.

To truly do NILIF you need to start by withholding all attention from the dog except for food, water and being let outdoors. Do this for (recommended time is a week; I've had success with two to three days). Then PIA puppy will have to work for everything for a while - even food and water and going outdoors! You will be amazed at the behaviors withdrawing attention will change...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts