German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We finally decided to introduce a new puppy into our family (we had just 1 cat) and obviously I went for the shepherd breed because I grew up with them and love their temperament. Especially when it comes to kids. I didn't care to get a registered shepherd because he will just be a pet and didn't want to spend the extra 300 plus for the papers. So with that being said, I found one online not very far from me. Mom is a white shepherd and dad is a black and tan. Mom is a little on the small side. I didn't actually meet them. They sent pics because we met at a public place. I was told my baby was 9 weeks old and that he was the runt. They gave me shot records and handed me the puppy with a collar and food. Looking at pictures of other shepherds, he just seems too small. Even if he is the runt. Also he has white markings on his toes and his tail curls a lot typically when he's walking around. So far he has been hard to train which I'm not used to in shepherds, even puppies. I've attached some pictures taken a couples days after I brought him home and some of the parents. In your opinion is he pure bred? I know you cant 110% tell without papers but just want an opinion.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,714 Posts
Very cute puppy, but my guess is that he's not purebred. Hard to tell how big he is from photos, do you know what he weighs?

Reactions: Thecowboysgirl

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He has his first vet appointment next week so I will find out then but he cant be more than like 7lbs I'm guessing.

·
Super Moderator
7,704 Posts
He's adorable!His mom's physique is very different from a purebred shepherd,but she looks healthy and muscular.Most importantly is that he's a good fit with your family.

Reactions: T'Challa!

·
Registered
268 Posts
A very cute puppy, but not likely a pure breed (based on the combined things; multiple white areas, the size & the curly tail you mention) Enjoy the puppy Sometimes there can be a health advantage, with a mixed breed

When you can't actually meet the parents, generally there is a reason. Meeting in a parking lot, has to make you wonder. Perhaps one of the parents could be a mix, but looks like a pure breed. Several years ago, my parents fell for a similar story I could tell right away when I saw the dog, that it was a mix The dog became a good pet & was a benefit for my elderly parents.

My understanding is that pure breed GSD's can have a white spot somewhere (ie on the chest), but not multiple white spots in various locations. I don't know it it's the lighting in the photo, but it appears as if there is some white above the eye brows as well. The face marking are very cute, whether it's a pure breed or not.

I used to have a semi-ferral cat, that was a Siamese mix. It looked Siamese in almost every way, but it had white on it's feet. Those involved with cat rescue, referred to it as a Snow Shoe Siamese. It was a mix of a Siamese with a common cat

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
The ear set is all wrong for a purebred GSD. They are set too low on the head and the bases have no strength. I doubt very much they will ever stand.

Here's a photo of my 9 week old GSD. The ears should look more like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
My first dog looked very much like the photo of mom that you posted, only mine was mostly black with a white patch on the chest and white feet. He was a Lab/GSD mix I was told. Cute puppy though!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not a purebred there, in fact I'm highly skeptical that those two dogs made that puppy. Puppy looks to have hound or retriever of some kind in it. Father appears to be long haired, and I doubt he fathered that litter at all.

In litters it's possible to have two males father one litter. Our husky/shepherd had 10 puppies shortly after we got her. 4 of them were quite obviously not similar to the other 6. We kept track of most of them, other than the one we kept (our late great Happy dog) some lived quite close to us. The hound looking puppies grew up to resemble none of their other siblings.

Unless you paid a lot for your puppy, just enjoy him. Mixed breeds are great.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Just one thing I'd like to add: if someone says they will meet you anywhere but their home to exchange the puppy, that is a HUGE red flag! It means they don't want you to see the pup's living conditions, and COULD be a puppy miller.

The pup is cute, and looks healthy, and you did get health records, so I think you're off to a good start, in spite of everything. But next time, PLEASE arrange to see the puppy's home, and the mother, father as well if possible!

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
I agree about the red flag. I found what I thought was a good online breeder for a friend. I told her when they get there if anything seems off, walk away. They drove 6 hrs to pick up the dog in a parking lot. She didn’t tell me that I advance. He looked like a mix but they insisted in taking him anyway. He is now about 8 and looks mostly German Shepherd except for his ears, and he has a different temperament. I found out later the woman was not a breeder, she was a scam artist who posed online as a service dog trainer and handler. She bred two random dogs and sold them as purebreds. It was not the first time, either.

There are good reasons why we suggest buyers only buy from a reputable breeder with pedigrees. It’s not about the money but about knowing what you are getting. I agree with everyone else. He is very cute and you are probably already attached to him. Love him, train him, ask for help here and enjoy your dog.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
He has his first vet appointment next week so I will find out then but he cant be more than like 7lbs I'm guessing.
If you have a scale weigh yourself, then pick him up and weigh again while you are holding him, then subtract the first number from the second.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I paid 350 for him. He's an okay dog. He's been hard to train and hard to fit in with our family and routine. He just doesnt possess any of the qualities I really wanted in a shepherd. I'm not sure what to do. I dont want to be that person that gives away their puppy to a new family just because I didnt get what I wanted but part of me feels it's also unfair that now I have to keep him for 15 plus years when he wasn't what I signed up for anyway. Does giving him to a different family make me a bad person? I know mixed dogs can be perfectly fine and great dogs but for right now I want all the qualities a shepherd has to offer. I already know it would be a perfect match for my family and 2 year old.

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
the white areas really mean nothing. GSDs can have residual white, typically on the toes and chest.

The mother does not look purebred. Her physical shape of her face isnt' right. The father does look purebred.

You only paid $350 and met the person in the parking lot. What exactly did you expect? Even if he is a purebred, which you can test for genetically, you bought from a BYB in a parking lot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I see purebred shepherds go for 350 all the time. Just without papers. Also, I didn't know I was buying from a random "BYB". And I didn't exactly find it odd we met in a public place because that's what people typically do when buying from strangers. So I didn't exactly question it. I get that I put too much trust in these people but geez.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I am not sure where anybody is getting that this breeder met OP in a parking lot and did not want them coming to their property to meet the parents. Maybe OP was satisfied with conversations with the breeder and pictures and made arrangements out of convenience to meet part way to save on driving or to protect their privacy. You never know today about people. I did the same with both of the last two dogs I purchased. I even paid them some gas money to meet me part way as I don't like what is long distance driving for me. I did get to meet the mother of one who the breeder brought with them but I think they brought her more out of meeting a stranger in a parking lot in a somewhat unfamiliar location than for me to meet the dam. I brought one of my own dogs with me too for the same reasons. Anyhow, so far so good with both of the pups and the one didn't look much like a purebred either but as she is maturing, it is all falling into place.

Without something in pictures to reference for size, it is kind of hard to tell how the puppy in front of you compares to others size wise. I mean you would need to see a puppy in a picture near a car and then put your puppy by the same kind of car to make a fair comparison. Pictures sure can add a few pounds and nobody is going to post an unflattering picture.

I would disregard the white markings. White toes and chests and even tail tips happen in the breed. Some time they diminish, other times they disappear altogether. I once had a GSD puppy whose full one third of the end of his tail was white. He had a white chest and white toes. They all disappeared with maturity. His sister had white markings too that disappeared. Then I have a friend whose GSD has white toes and although they diminished with age, they are still present. It is a trait that he passes on to his puppies. They were all purebred.

I have a young male GSD right now who is a very well bred working line that is the master of the ring tail. I just find it comical. As long as he works, he can curl his tail all he wants. Ring tails are a GSD fault, but they certainly do occur in the breed.

Your puppy is only 9 weeks old, a toddler. He does not have the maturity to learn very much of anything. He is fine. The expectations need adjusted.

9 weeks and 7#s sounds about right for a runt. Some GSDs are much larger, grow fast, and are done growing faster. Others are smaller, grow slower, but grow for a longer period of time. There is a whole range of growth patterns within and without of both of those examples.

Ears can vary widely. Low set is not preferred in a show ring but it should not be a deal breaker for what you want. Personally I prefer low set ears, I like the look better. Low set should not be an issue as to whether the ears stand. Genetics play a major role and the pup's parents may carry for soft ears. Who knows? But heavier ear leather, and larger ears can be more problematic when it comes to ears going up.

Reactions: brightspot

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Please don't blame the puppy for not being what you expected. If you can't love him for who he is, please responsibly rehome him. Don't expect to get $350.00 for him, but don't offer him for free. He deserves a loving home.

The puppy is absolutely adorable. Every pup is different and learns differently. Since you purchased him from seemingly sketchy people, it's possible he is not even as old as they said he is. Perhaps that is the reason he is not learning as quickly as you expect. Believe it or not, there are even purebred German Shepherds who aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

See if your vet can help you to rehome your pup.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
What qualities did you want? What are you seeing? Young puppies are not going to show all the behaviors you expect in a mature dog. I’m not sure why you want to give the puppy away. $350 might seem like an average price but for most of us it’s very low. Even rescue groups charge more like $400-600 for a rescued dog. I don’t know where you live. A lot of us paid closer to $2,000 for purebred dogs, possibly more. A few paid slightly less.

Even if he is a mix, the mom is at least 50% GSD so your dog is at least 75% German Shepherd.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know most everyone on her probably bought really expensive aka registered shepherds with working line and ect and spent 1,000-2,000 but I'm from Ohio. I see purebred puppies with papers go for 500-800 dollars so it's not at all uncommon to spend 350-450 for a purebred without papers. I promise it's really not. I have done tons of research. I know if I 110% want no doubt it's a purebred I have to get the papers but I just figured I could trust these people. And I know that mixed dogs can make great pets too. I've had them as well. I'm not a snob or whatever. And I will most likely end up keeping him so dont shame me for giving him away. I'll try again in a few years.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I don't think anybody is saying that just because your puppy doesn't have papers means that it is a mix. There are enough AKC registered dogs with unscrupulous breeders whose puppies are mixed.

People here just want to see the puppy in the right home. That is no reflection on you. I rehomed an AKC GSD because she wasn't the right dog for me. She was placed in a wonderful home where she was a perfect match and she was a well loved and well taken care of dog until the end of her time.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts