German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't walked Summer in 5 months. We've been in the yard and house (winter) and she's about to go ballistic.

She wants to go for walks and I am afraid about only one particular breed of dog attack. Every day... I promise her tomorrow we'll start walking again and every day my fear keeps us inside the yard.

I have PTSD and live like a hermit anyway but I don't want to shut her life down. She loves being out, she loves people and we had so much fun out until 5 months ago... Winter and depression on my part, I'm sure not wanting to go out.

Anyway, we have a beautiful forecast for the next week and I want to be out with her every day walking..... My PTSD gives me nightmares that she and I are cornered by the two dogs that I was a couple of years ago. They bite on and don't let go. There are 5 in my immediate neighborhood. But, other people walk their dogs thru all the time and no problem....

I guess I have a 50/50 chance of walking her and it being ok. But she's DA and if any of them snark at her - she will egg them on because she does not know any better. I guess tomorrow is the big day. I just wish I could get this fear out of my head so we can live. It's at the point where I think she'd rather face death than not know and live in the world...So I guess I'll leave it up to her.

But, as far as broadcasting that "fearless leader" down the leash to her.... I have a problem there....

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hi Stone, I did not know you have PTSD - so sorry to learn this! Is it actual PTSD, or possibly agoraphobia (fear of going out)? Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) can also affect people during the dreary winter months when we lack sunlight. Or a combination of things! I am not trying to be nosy, just trying to understand. Is it a certain breed of dog you fear, or is there a particular group of neighbor dogs that you want to avoid? I myself am somewhat of an introvert, and I could be perfectly happy as a hermit. But having to stay home due to fear is very different. Perhaps you could start by specifically identifying what frightens you, write it down, and try to reason it out. As for your dog, maybe you could just start by walking a short distance, and build on that. Could you see a counselor for some assistance? I don't know, because I am no expert - just trying to throw some ideas out there! Hugs!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I think that your fear is warranted. It's not like you have a car and can go into another area. Your doing what you think is best for both of your safety. Maybe do a small walk in the opposite direction of where these dogs are? Maybe go for a walk on your own and scope things out to make yourself aware of the surroundings?

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Max!:) No, it wasn't until I was inpatient some years ago for depression that they found the PTSD. I said "are you people crazy, I've never been in the military!!"

Then, they told me what it was and I still held out the facts of my earlier life from them. Then, they started telling me some of the things I went through vaguely but were accurate regarding gun violence, prisoner etc and I thought how do they know that, I don't look like that stuff happened to me.

Anyway, my life is normal for me and it's all good. But, Summer needs what she needs and all is great except for this one particular area that is hitting my wall.

I'm gonna take her out for a walk tomorrow, but so help me - if we run across any of the stray pits and they attack - it's me they're going to be dealing with, not her. I have a bag with dog repellant spray, Marine Air Horn and an ice pick to stab and deflate their lungs if the first 2 don't work.

I will be armed and dangerous but only for them. I will end them.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that your fear is warranted. It's not like you have a car and can go into another area. Your doing what you think is best for both of your safety. Maybe do a small walk in the opposite direction of where these dogs are? Maybe go for a walk on your own and scope things out to make yourself aware of the surroundings?
Thank you!- you remembered my posts of before about this. Tomorrow I guess is the big day. Feels like tomorrow is the big day I go to get all my teeth ripped out or something. dread

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Thank you!- you remembered my posts of before about this. Tomorrow I guess is the big day. Feels like tomorrow is the big day I go to get all my teeth ripped out or something. dread
Of course I remember😄

Just stay aware of your surroundings--do you have a good loud whistle?

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course I remember😄

Just stay aware of your surroundings--do you have a good loud whistle?
Yes, I got one of those too I'll pack. I plan on taking her down the busy street at 9:30 tomorrow morning. Scotty will be outside (he runs the tattoo parlor) and will help me if needed, also 2 or three of the other small business owners should be out and about on the sidewalk too. Scotty owns 2 pits and knows me pretty well as a neighbor 15 years and remembers the pit attack on me.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Aww hugs stone. All of them.

Have you considered carrying pepper spray / bear spray with you? Having a means to protect yourself might help with your confidence.

I can relate. Honestly. I was scared of rottweilers for a very long time. Bad experiences as a child. One snapped a chain and came charging after me while I was walking my dog. I ended up climbing on top of a car and watched while my boy - a wonderful collie shepherd mix and it fought it and got torn up pretty bad. Lost half his ear. Then another neighbor had a breeding pair of them and had pups and kept four of the pups. A pack of 6 rotties. Well you know how dogs can be in packs... It took years before I could be around them. My trainer has one and that helped a lot but I still get a bit nervous.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
I haven't walked Summer in 5 months. We've been in the yard and house (winter) and she's about to go ballistic.

She wants to go for walks and I am afraid about only one particular breed of dog attack. Every day... I promise her tomorrow we'll start walking again and every day my fear keeps us inside the yard.

I have PTSD and live like a hermit anyway but I don't want to shut her life down. She loves being out, she loves people and we had so much fun out until 5 months ago... Winter and depression on my part, I'm sure not wanting to go out.

Anyway, we have a beautiful forecast for the next week and I want to be out with her every day walking..... My PTSD gives me nightmares that she and I are cornered by the two dogs that I was a couple of years ago. They bite on and don't let go. There are 5 in my immediate neighborhood. But, other people walk their dogs thru all the time and no problem....

I guess I have a 50/50 chance of walking her and it being ok. But she's DA and if any of them snark at her - she will egg them on because she does not know any better. I guess tomorrow is the big day. I just wish I could get this fear out of my head so we can live. It's at the point where I think she'd rather face death than not know and live in the world...So I guess I'll leave it up to her.

But, as far as broadcasting that "fearless leader" down the leash to her.... I have a problem there....
I could have written most of this.

I put the leash around my waist, it prevents me transmitting all that tension down the leash. And my hands are free with no fear of dropping the leash while I am defending us.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Voodoo - I feel like such a little POODLE in all this. If you knew me, you'd say no way.... but this is the slithering, creeping boogy man in your closet stuff brought to an adult. It's irrational, it's unrealistic and with every fiber in my being it will happen.

You had your fear of Rott's and justifiably so IMO. But you overcame it. I apparently have a little roadblock there....but I think we'll give 'er a try and see if I can kill a demon.:) Thanks

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I could have written most of this.

I put the leash around my waist, it prevents me transmitting all that tension down the leash. And my hands are free with no fear of dropping the leash while I am defending us.
OMG - This is how well we cover this carp up! You are one of the strongest people I know on this board. So - you just do it anyway... ok, you're going to be my strength when I'm walking out that door tomorrow. If you can do it and you're not comfortable with it - THEN I CAN DO IT TOO. Grrrrrh!!

I'd like to PM you tomorrow if that's ok, after the walk? We need to make this stop.:hug:

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
OMG - This is how well we cover this carp up! You are one of the strongest people I know on this board. So - you just do it anyway... ok, you're going to be my strength when I'm walking out that door tomorrow. If you can do it and you're not comfortable with it - THEN I CAN DO IT TOO. Grrrrrh!!

I'd like to PM you tomorrow if that's ok, after the walk? We need to make this stop.:hug:
Me and Shadow made it all the way to the end of the alley today even with the creepy weirdos hanging out. On a mostly loose leash. With barely any problems. My hands were shaking when we passed them but Shadow kept her cool and so did I.
You can do this.
Seriously put the leash around your waist, it's so much less stressful when you know you aren't going to screw up and drop the leash.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Me and Shadow made it all the way to the end of the alley today even with the creepy weirdos hanging out. On a mostly loose leash. With barely any problems. My hands were shaking when we passed them but Shadow kept her cool and so did I.
You can do this.
Seriously put the leash around your waist, it's so much less stressful when you know you aren't going to screw up and drop the leash.
Oh shoot...that's why I'm going out with 2 leashes and 2 collars on her tomorrow. Last Summer I had her on the busy street and the HS just fell to the ground... it must have been mis-hinged but it waited until the middle of the walk to fall off. I hugged her around the neck real quick like I was giving her an atta girl and unclipped the leash from the prong and made a slip leash to walk her home.

Here is her new 2nd collar I just got for tomorrow. Cheeeeeta! It's her first one that's not a hand me down.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you invite Scotty to go along with you? Another pair of eyes and someone to chat to could help.
Good idea but Scotty's like an old biker guy. You have to respect but watch very carefully who you ask favors from. I'm not sure how to explain it other than that. He'll jump in if there's problem, - but I wouldn't ask a favor.....

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Yes, I got one of those too I'll pack. I plan on taking her down the busy street at 9:30 tomorrow morning. Scotty will be outside (he runs the tattoo parlor) and will help me if needed, also 2 or three of the other small business owners should be out and about on the sidewalk too. Scotty owns 2 pits and knows me pretty well as a neighbor 15 years and remembers the pit attack on me.
Oh my goodness- were you attacked by pitts? No wonder you are scared!

·
4,497 Posts
That is a beautiful back up collar. I use martingale collars as a back up.

We have a free running GSD on our block. My boy reacts to him because the loose dog comes and taunts our dog at our fence. I know how annoyed and nervous I get and can't imagine how difficult it is for you. You are in my prayers and will be following this to read about how you conquer this obstacle.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
You should start to research sport psychology and see how your mental preparation affects the outcome of events. People debilitated by fear are simple using the power of the mind negatively.

When you can turn that around into positive then the fear should get managed and you look at things as challenges rather than things to fear.

When you start to visualize yourself going out successfully then it is more likely that you will have the confidence to get out there.

Once you are comfortable with it and confident then you start by going out a short bit and coming back. Then go a bit further.

Also try to learn or do something that you think is hard to regain your self confidence.

Calming techniques will help too. Just get some calming music, relax and empower yourself. Start practicing tai chi or something. Loads of instructions on the net. That improves life and well being, breathing, blood flow etc.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Stone vintage, can you get some professional help for yourself? EMDR, exposure therapy with professional guidance, CBT....someone with a good track record of treating PTSD. All clinicians are not created equal.

Even if you have been in treatment before, obviously you are doing avoidance behaviors. You really might have better luck conquering this stuff with a knowledgeable therapist.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good for you for facing this and getting back out there, Wish I was in the area and could walk with you. Do you have anyone that could walk with you? Someone who could help keep an eye out and maybe run off any dogs that try to approach? It seems like a good place for a team effort to help get you comfortable, if anyone is available.

Cam

1 - 20 of 46 Posts