German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone out there please help us out?

Me and my housemate have 2 puppies, one a chihuahua x jack russell, and mine is a German Shepherd, they're both six months. In the house they are more or less fine with each other...typical puppy behaviour, but at night when we all try to sit down, they just wont leave each other alone. I put my GSD into his enclosure in the sitting room right beside where I sit, and the small guy just kind of sleeps and does his own thing. My GSD starts whining and whingeing and it's ubareable to my other housemates, so I end up letting him out and then he won't leave the little guy alone. The only reason I keep him in his enclosure is that he's getting big now and his tail literally knocks everything off the coffee table and he's like a bull in a china shop when he starts to play with the little guy.

Has ANYONE any advice on how we can calm them down a bit???? both are well excercised and see loads of other dogs of all breeds, so we cant understand why they get so lively so late at night especially! It's almost impossible now to watch a movie on tv without us having to roar at them to leave each other alone. :help:

·
5,627 Posts
It's almost impossible now to watch a movie on tv without us having to roar at them to leave each other alone. :help:
Special bone time = quiet time in my house. If I want to watch a movie on a Sat night, the dogs get a special bone that they only get then.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have given them bones a good few times, but it basically turns into....I want your bone and i want mine as well :)

·
5,627 Posts
Have you tried kongs stuffed with peanut and frozen? Generally if they are busy eating, they forget about the trading bone deal.

You can also try some obedience with them before to mentally wear them out. In my experience, a good mental workout for a GSD does way more than a physical workout for wiping them out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
To go along with the bone thing, do you use kongs? I used stuffed kongs for my 8 1/2 mo. old. I put some of his dinner in it, some water in it, and a little bit of peanut butter to seal the end. I put it in a plastic ziploc bag and then I freeze this. I keep a couple of these in the freezer all the time. When I need them I have them and because they're frozen they take awhile to get through. Because I've uesd some of his meal, I'm not giving him a lot of peanut butter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's great I'll try that! I have the kong but usually only use it when I'm leaving him alone for a few hours, but it just might work. It's 1.30am here now and they've eventually settled down to sleep! Peace at last! :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have dealt with a similar situation. My fiance and I both live with our parents as we save up for a house of our own. His mother has two dogs that are both around a year old. Freyja loves to play with them and the house can get quite hectic. Special bone time is a big no no as each dog likes what the other likes better, and it turns into a game of aggressive musical bones.
I have found that putting a leash on Freyja until she calms down makes the best difference. She has learned that when you are calm you are free. It took multiple weeks of this treatment but now that she's gotten the message, the effort was worth it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried the leash alright but drives him crazy altogether haha! I hadn't the heart to keep him on it what with the small guy dancing around him!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Maybe it would help if both dogs were crated or in their enclosures. Also, might want to try teaching "enough" to your GSD. We're working on this with Panzer (10 months) too.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Also your GSD is at the age he can go for miles and miles to get enough exercise.

Perfect age to start dog classes so the mental and physical stimulation will help when you get home. Chances are your GSD will need way more exercise/training then the other pup, so you can start figuring out his new schedule to get him back on track.

It's very discouraging for our young pups when they start being bad dogs all the time cause of the normal 'trouble' they can get into from boredom and lack of sufficient exercise to take the edge off when they are asked to be calm in the house. A 2 hour off leash hike in the woods gives me the PERFECT pup for the rest of the night!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I just want to add that I think about 90% of behavior problems can be solved with more excercise! At six months, we were taking our guy on a daily four mile hike, plus lots of chasing the jolly ball , and some obedience work as well. That would take the edge off him, but just sitting around watching TV at night is not without throwing his fav toy! I think its unfair to crate them, or just stuff them with peanut butter and such when they need to blow off steam. (bones do have a place tho!)

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I just want to add that I think about 90% of behavior problems can be solved with more excercise! At six months, we were taking our guy on a daily four mile hike, plus lots of chasing the jolly ball , and some obedience work as well. That would take the edge off him, but just sitting around watching TV at night is not without throwing his fav toy! I think its unfair to crate them, or just stuff them with peanut butter and such when they need to blow off steam. (bones do have a place tho!)
HEy ponyfarm, welcome to the board and YOU are clearly a very intelligent puppy owner :wub:

·
Registered
606 Posts
I understand the constant play time. My two Shepherds will play until they can't lift their heads anymore, even after lots of exercise and training.

What I did is teach "take a break".

Start off with each separate and play. Stop the play, remove the toy and say "take a break" then ask for a sit. Once he is quiet reward with something yummy.
Do this with both dogs separately.

Then introduce the behavior together. If they ignore the command put your body in-between them and ask. Then reward.
At times if "take a break" is ignored again I remove the offending dog for a time out in the crate or other room with a gate. After a few minutes I will bring the dog back in and 9 times out of 10 the look I get is "crap! Mom's got my number and I will go lay down with this bone now."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts