German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had dogs my entire life and I have never run into an issue like this. I have an 11 wk old puppy. A few weeks ago while at my brothers house, he jumped into the pool after the other dogs. It didn't bother him in the least and went in a few more times.

Since that day, he has become obsessed with water. He started with standing in the water dish, then pawing it, then literally pawing it until it was empty. Water everywhere. I started putting a shallow amount of water the bowl, still it ended up all over the place. He dumps the water and then lays in it and rolls around. I stood there while he drank and corrected him but I can't stand there all day, and I have 3 other dogs.

Yesterday he got into the toilet bowl and literally emptied it into the bathroom, hall and kitchen.

I am thinking of getting a small breed self waterer that his paws will be too big to really get into but at the same time provide water for the rest.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My puppy has done this since I got her. We have some what controlled it by just catching her in the act and telling her no. The other thing she does that drives me nuts is she drinks like a slob. She'll go and drink and half of it coming running out of her mouth back on the floor but I don't know what to do about that.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My puppy does the same thing. He was swimming in the pool today and pawed all the water out of the water bowl, then pulled the bowl around the kitchen. He is a water dog.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
You sure it's not a Lab:)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mine does the same thing. She loves water. I just tried to catch her in the act and then tell her no! Eventually she stopped doing it in the house but she still will do it outside and at the dog park.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
They eventually get the idea that its not okay to do in the house. Unfortunately, outside is fair game. Dax tries to drag me to the water any time we're near the bay. He loves swimming.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Tess is a sloppy mess, I use a little water and ice cubes...they slow the messiness down a little..

·
Registered
86 Posts
My pup did the same thing. I got a raised food and water bowl which doesn't allow him to dig due to the positioning of it. Doesn't help with the messy drinkers, but it kept him from swimming in my house!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
30 Posts
That is the cutest puppy! He's looking at that bowl like he if just believes hard enough it will fill with water.
lol thank you ,yeah I started to leave the bowl empty after she pawed all the water out, so she'd sit and stare at the bowl and if you filled it, it was on the floor again lol but she soon learnt not to do that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts