German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks
I live in West Chester PA which is Z6. This is a problem that I'm sure others here have. I have 2 GSDs & a medium-small yard. I have the typical motocross track that they run when they're first let out (1st to tree w/ the squirls, then to the garden shed w/ the ground hogs, then to the bushes/garden for the rabbits). I have a low lying area w/ clay. The area w/out the grass (i.e. motocross track) gets muddy when it rains & dogs track in mud.
Last summer (too late in year) I seeded, spread spent mushroom compost, reseeded, watered twice daily & kept dogs off for a month. It looked great! Then my sprinklers broke and we had a HOT DRY 6 weeks. My new grass got fried. Now tracks are back.
My lawn care company suggested airating (has never been done), seeding and adding started fertalizer now (mid-Sept). Then in mid-Oct spreading spent mushroom compost (to replace the erroded topsoil from the motocross track) and seeding again. They also said I will need to airate and reseed the track area every fall.
My questions are:
1. Might this work or am I throwing good $ after bad?
2. If I do the 2nd part, i.e., mushroom soil & reseed, in mid October, will there be enough growing season left for the grass to get a hold or will I have a mud pit all winter?
3. Should I do both airate, seed and mushrrom soil and reseed at the same time & keep the dogs off of it till it gets established?
4. Is ther a different plan that anyone here recomends?
I appreciate any advice you guys offer!
Thanks!
JD

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Grass? Is that the stuff you have if you don't have dogs?
If it is fescue it is going to take a long time to really get strong like next Spring has been my experience

WHen I had fescue it was aeration and overseeding every September. (down here you have to kill the bermuda that sneaks in) now I have Bermuda which is pretty self healing but ... it is a southern grass and anyway you cut it dogs are tough on grass.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I feel your pain. I aerated, fertilized, limed and seeded on Labor Day and have
been watering (once a day) since. My lawn had been almost totally destroyed by
the harsh winter and the dog. I am using Heavy Traffic seed combined with 'normal' seed. Since I have other places to walk and exercise the dog, she will probably be
off it for at least a month. I can see a lot of green but I can also see that I should
have used fresh topsoil in several areas. My dog does exactly the same as yours re: the race track and certain areas to check. I think all dogs have a routine. My last dog wore out a path to a gate that was permanently closed. She checked that gate for 13 years and there was never anything there. NO chance of growing grass there. I think that many of us have to make the choice: dog OR grass.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
y would u want grass on an mx track?

My bad. Not really an MX track, just looks like it & I don't want it to!
Yes it is tall fesque.
Yes I will airate & over seed every fall if that's what it takes. Do you think I have a chance or is it throwing good money after bad?
JD

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
My bad. Not really an MX track, just looks like it & I don't want it to!
Yes it is tall fesque.
Yes I will airate & over seed every fall if that's what it takes. Do you think I have a chance or is it throwing good money after bad?
JD
I don't think your Mx track has much of a chance.
Neither does the part where they first hit the grass.
If you play frisbee, every time they pivot to go after it
will also dig up some grass.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I have to aerate and seed every year. By end of the season usually 1/3 of the yard ls lost to dog traffic. I put pavers a ways out onto the MX track.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I have to aerate and seed every year. By end of the season usually 1/3 of the yard ls lost to dog traffic. I put pavers a ways out onto the MX track.
I use pavers but not far enough out (if that is possible). The first point where she hits the grass will be grassless in short order.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Maybe give up on the MX track and just mulch it. Concentrate on the rest of the grass.

I currently have half my yard blocked off to give the grass a chance to recover.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I guess how they exit the pavers would make a difference. I put my path far out, so all 7 of them kinda leave at different places. It doesn't make a big improvement, just the muddy pathness is improved. That many critters and some rain, it looks like cattle drovers brought a herd through!

·
Registered
860 Posts
luckily i don't have too bad of a path in my very small yard, but what i DO have is the yellow spots ALL over the yard. I live in Florida and we have St Augustine grass in the back yard--- Is there a grass that handles the urine any better, or a treatment i can put down? Sorry to hijack your thread!

·
Registered
839 Posts
We dig up and till the tracks and yellow spots every fall. Then we reseed and my hubby puts some other stuff on it. Lime I think.

It's a lot of work but it seems to work out well...after the snow melts and spring comes, our grass is usually very lush and very green.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i gave the backyard to the dog. whatever happens
with the grass i accept. take your dogs out for
a walk more often so you cut down on the yard usuage.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I did put up exercise pens and covered them. The dogs are out in the pens some rather than spending time creating paths in yard. They are also dry places to be outside some when the weather is wet and mud is an issue.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
My neighbors had a pool (big enough one) they took down at labor day, already you cannot see the circle where the pool was, their grass has taken quite well. I find fall seeding is better for grass growth. It was a total dead spot and they fluffed with topsoil and seeded.
Our grass fared really well this year, which cuts down on mud this time of year :) But we overseeded like crazy in the spring. I finally made dh just buy the regular grass seed, just store brand - it took so much better than all the other things he tried combined, including one patch fix that looked like blue insulation on the lawn.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts