German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 6mnth old male sheperd, who has just learned he can escape, lucky for us he only goes next door where they a have a puppy the same age as him. We run him, walk him and play with him all the time but he still runs away, its gotton worse this week, he escapes at least 2 times a day and the only reason he stops is because i have to lock him in his run. PLEASE HELP US.:(:mad:

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Do you try to have him off lead??
Take him outside & call him ("come") & give him treats when he comes!
That way, you are much more fun than him trying to run away!
Good luck :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have a 6ft fence all around, but we think he jumps in the plant box and manuvers his way over that then under our second fence(which is 4ft) and off to the neighbours lol. And we keep him in a very large run with a kennel now cause even when we're home he's gone. So he makes an effort to escape. Basicly i want to be able to leave him out and him not dissapear on.

·
Super Moderator
32,031 Posts
Basicly i want to be able to leave him out and him not dissapear on.
That may be what you want, but it sounds like that's not going to be possible. He should either not be left out unattended, or he should be in a secure kennel or run, with a top on it if necessary, to prevent him from jumping or climbing out. He's already figured out he can get out of your yard - you can't unteach him that. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Are you taking your dog out for exercise and do you have him in dog school?

Worst case, you need to remove the planter and put in an invisible fence on your current fence.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He's starts obedience on the 28th so hopefully that'll be good for him and me. I think he just need to keep his mind active. But i don't really know what to do for that?! We walk him and my husband takes him for a run.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Instead of feeding him from a bowl, lay his meal in a track and have him work for it. It will exercise his mind. Does he like to play tug? That is a great game, and letting him win is ok, too. Wears a dog and human out. By getting him into obedience class and doing short ob sessions will also work his mind.

Nina Ottoson
has some puzzle games that are great, with supervision.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
He's starts obedience on the 28th so hopefully that'll be good for him and me. I think he just need to keep his mind active. But i don't really know what to do for that?! We walk him and my husband takes him for a run.
:doggieplayball: In addition to the walk and run, can you play ball with him for 20 minutes or so a couple times a day to give him some additional exercise?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He doesn't play with balls and i wana play with him but he's not interested in toys. I run round with him and he has settled down abit, now when he goes out he doesn't run away. We have left bones around the yeard for him to chew and find. Yay we may have solved it!!! Thanks for all your help

1 - 14 of 14 Posts