German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently rescued a 10 week old German shepherd puppy female and we're working on training need ideas on how to help her house break and work on her general behavior. She has had no prior training. And is proving to be considerably harder than my golden retrievers

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Good for you! Maybe since this tiny baby's world has been turned upside down, she just needs time to feel comfortable with all of the new changes. Since you had to rescue her, whatever circumstances she had to be rescued from can be playing a role.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Pandemic Puppy raising support group on facebook, check out their units section.

·
Registered
473 Posts
2 words to start: crate training.

Thank you for rescuing the pup. It's still really young (my last dog was re-homed to me from a breeder at 12 weeks) and virtually everything is still possible with patience, perseverance and consistency.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How can I tell if a dog is not a thoroughbred dog? I see the dog has a difference, puppies under 2 months I can not distinguish the breed.

·
Registered
31,579 Posts
How can I tell if a dog is not a thoroughbred dog? I see the dog has a difference, puppies under 2 months I can not distinguish the breed.
Thoroughbred is a breed of horse.

If the breeder of a dog does not have registration papers then there is no way to tell for sure that the dog is a purebred.

·
Registered
258 Posts
For sure start with crate training. I have posted a flowchart for this on this site many times- start there.
For general young puppy training, start with some targeting. This will easily lead to come, sit and down.
There are great videos by Stonnie Dennis and Michael Ellis on YouTube showing how to do this for young puppies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts