German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my new GSD pup on Sunday. We are going to continue him on raw since this forum has convinced me of the benefits. :) Also, he is currently on raw so no transition required.

I decided to transition my 10-11 year old lab mix (rescue not sure age) to raw as well. I have read on this forum where people transition slowly. I have also seen plenty of posts where people do a little of both to help offset cost.

I read on the pre-packaged raw manufacturer's website the following:

Is it okay to mix "kibble" with raw ?
Absolutely not. The rate of digestion is much different. Raw food is known to digest at a rate of about 8 hours where as processed can take up to 24 hours. This has the potential of causing a bacteria build up. This is why when you switch your dog to our food, we recommend you fast a day before introducing our food. We do not recommend a slow change over.

Any thoughts on this info? I had planned on adding raw to his kibble to slowly transition. Now I am thinking maybe I can just switch him ..with a one-day fast (give him knuckle bones maybe).

Thanks in advance for any input/advice.

Karen

·
Registered
391 Posts
I switched my dogs cold turkey. They eat prey model raw, not pre packaged, so they ate chicken leg quarters at first. Knuckle bones are not recommended neither are any weight bearing bones of larger animals.

I also did not fast my two, but they had both been on boiled chicken and rice for a few days thanks to a bad bag of kibble.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I haven't had to switch a dog in along time (mine are all weaned right to raw), but when I did it was cold turkey.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!! Good to know about bones. I am going to just switch him. How can he watch the pup eating raw and he gets boring kibble... That just isn't right. :)

I know I will have more questions. Thanks everyone for all the support.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I switched my 10 year old golden to raw when I got my gsd puppy, I only feed her once a day is I fed kibble one evening raw the next day and forever, she had lost interest in her food now 5 :00 comes and she is waiting for it, no problems looks better fur is shinier and her teeth look better, poops are like 1/2 the size and just kinda disappear over time, would not go back to kibble, strange. But it kinda grosses me out to feed dry hard things to the dogs, they love raw chicken feet too

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Cold turkey is what I did for Fiona. For your guy to tran sit ion, give him cooked meat with the kibble. That should help with the digestion. Never mix raw and kibble.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
42 Posts
Like you, I wanted to feed my pup raw, but my 10 year old Golden was getting kibble. It has never been a problem for my dogs eating kibble and raw mixed. HOWEVER, the only raw that I mix with kibble is green tripe. I think it actually helps them digest the kibble better with all those digestive juices and enzymes.

My Golden is about to turn 11. She has been doing great with Orijen kibble and 0.2lb beef or lamb green tripe on each weekday; 100% raw prey model on the weekends. On weekends. they get 30% beef or lamb green tripe and 70% WPM from either rabbit, goat, beef, duck, bison, muskrat, or beaver. They get a different meat every weekend. I do also add a heaping tablespoon of organic canned pumpkin on the raw weekend meals to help with digestion; probably not necessary anymore. This routine is working out great for us. I like the flexibility of feeding kibble or raw. Their poop always looks perfect; slightly smaller on the weekends.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts