German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's storming out and I went to take Reznor outside and at first he didn't go but then went a little. Then he peed once I put him back in my room (completely away from the puppy pads) so I put him in his kennel because I know rubbing his face in it wouldnt be any good. Well then I was sitting on my futon and he started to whine again.so now I'm laying down in front of the kennel watching my movie. He's asleep but I don't know if this will seem like I'm approving of his his whining behavior to get what he wants.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
My advice, ditch the pee pads, thay are confusing IMO. Allow him more time outside. I brought my pup home in the rainy Spring. I kept rain boots, flashlight, jacket & leash by the back door so I could get him out quickly. No playing when we were outside, it was a potty break only. He went, good boy & back in the house.

GSD puppies are very smart & easy to house break. It takes consistency & patience on our part.

Correct, it's pointless to rub their noses in their mess. It does nothing. When those accidents happen they are our fault.

Some pups are very subtle about their signs that they have to go. Just take him out more often, he will catch on:)

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
i agree, pads are a bad idea. but if your dog pees outside then praise the heck out of him but dont go inside right away, play with him! if he goes potty where he's suppose to then play with him a little bit afterwards. let him know that if he goes outside then fun happens. if you take him out and he doesnt pee then act normal and go back inside. the pup will very quickly catch on that going potty outside is a very good thing!

·
Registered
424 Posts
courtney and boomer are right.
Just to add, remember about 20min after your pup eats you should ALWAYS take him out. They almost always seem to have to go potty about 20min after eating or drinking! :) Puppy pads are a bad idea IMO, too. Not to mention they are expensive.

And I'd agree that sitting with him after he's been whining in the crate is about the last thing you should do. You are encouraging his bad behavior. When he whines, you have to ignore ignore ignore. Let him know whining won't get him anywhere. There are lots of threads on here on the subject, but you have to make crate time a positive experience. Some suggesting feeding while inside the crate so they associate the crate with mealtime-yay! Give treats while in the crate, etc.

This is a SMART breed, very trainable :) it just requires consistency on your part, and lots of positive reinforcement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts