German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted my gsd from a rescue in early May and he was being fed the very basic kibble. I switched him to raw diet right away. I can tell he loves eating raw.

Problem is that he doesn't constituently have hard stools. 90% of the time it's wet stools. Several weeks ago I came home to two big piles of diaherra on the carpet.

I've tried pumpkin but that only seems to help little. I've been feeding him chicken and nothing else. I don't know what to do.

Please help. I don't want to switch him back to kibble but I don't know...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Have you had him checked for parasites? What exactly are you feeding (other than chicken and pumpkin)? Whole chicken? Leg quarters? Any organ meat?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had him checked for parasites and he came back clean.

I did try some organ meat and it just seemed to make it worse.

So right now I take a whole chicken, cut it in half down the middle neck to end. Then I take each half and cut it in half. He gets one half in the morning and the other at evening. So half a chicken a day. No organ meats

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
Yes, get some probiotics/digestive enzymes and or raw fresh(frozen) green tripe. Have you looked at the raw forums for balances and portions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forgot to mention that usually he drops stool twice a day, in the morning and Evening. If he doesn't at evening he usually wakes me up at around 2 or 3 am to be let out. This really messes up my schedule caused have to be up at 5 am

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm having the same issue with both our dogs... We switched back in April and I never feel like the stools are the way they are supposed to be. Wet, a lot of the times runny... We've tried pumpkin, give yogurt every day, tried less OM... Can't figure it out :( it's worse for our senior dog... I'm wondering if we should just switch her back to kibble... But coat, doggy smell, breath, teeth, etc. have all improved with raw! I just hate seeing them have digestive issues.... It can't feel good.

I'll be following this post to see if you have any improvements... Good luck :/

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
My girl has loose stool on chicken quarters, she needs necks or backs to keep it firm. If I overfeed the necks and backs then its like shes pooping croutons it looks so dry. It may be my dog but I never wake up to let her go, she stays in the crate fine if I sleep in also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm having the same issue with both our dogs... We switched back in April and I never feel like the stools are the way they are supposed to be. Wet, a lot of the times runny... We've tried pumpkin, give yogurt every day, tried less OM... Can't figure it out :( it's worse for our senior dog... I'm wondering if we should just switch her back to kibble... But coat, doggy smell, breath, teeth, etc. have all improved with raw! I just hate seeing them have digestive issues.... It can't feel good.

I'll be following this post to see if you have any improvements... Good luck :/

Yeah and he seems to enjoy chomping down on the chicken so much more. He teeth look better and his coat!

I don't want to switch him back to an high end kibble. I would much prefer to stay on raw if I can figure this out.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Have you thought of the possibility that he may be allergic to chicken? It's not unheard of. Maybe try a different protein source and see if that helps. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Try some prepared or dehydrated raw, if you are sure there's no parasites or anything.
Some petfood stores have prepared raw in a freezer section, and I like The Honest Kitchen, it's dehydrated in case I forget to thaw something out.

suggested portion sizes are on the package.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Try adding a couple of chicken necks to each meal and see if it makes a difference.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I would check him again for both coccidia and giardia (the latter can be tough to find). Adding probiotics and/or digestive enzymes are also a good idea. You should also look into other protein sources like maybe turkey or rabbit. Like chicken there isn't any part of the rabbit he can not have though I have had a couple of dogs over the years that won't eat it (they will eat the wild ones, but not the domestic). It is possible that he has an issue with chicken.

I would also thoroughly wash and rinse off of the chickens if you haven't tried that. Some are packaged in a broth/brine that he might be reacting to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I only had time to go grab a bottle of kefir from the store. Says it is probiotic with 12 species of microbes.

Might go by petco tomorrow. I don't live in a big town so my options are limited except for the Internet

·
Registered
127 Posts
I know that the skin can cause runs too.

Dante get runs now an then. I have to balance out his Muscle Meat and Bony Meat; also too much Organ meat makes him runny as well.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
I vote with the digestive enzymes (pancreatin type),

possible parasites - some on here have used non toxic "Kocci free" with great success.

Could be fat intolerance (so enzymes again - pancrealipase) Bert's blend has a good one that also has L-glutamine (excellent for healing the villi in the GI tract to repair leaky gut)

Slippery elm - tea or capsules

probiotic (I think the bert's blend is also probiotic)

Strip the fat off

1 - 20 of 29 Posts