German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We rescued our GSD from a breeder (she wanted to "shoot" him at 6 weeks). He was very demanding by the 2nd day and growled/snapped a lot. He whined for hours, no matter how much we ignored him. He went numerous times to the vet and behaviorist to figure out what was going on. He was perfectly healthy - just skittish. About a year old, he stopped obsessively whining, which was great. However, he suddenly (at age 2) became so fearful outside that he zig-zagged dramatically out of nowhere. Despite extensive training, he is still fearful. The behaviorist AND trainer, who we hired to work together, ended up handwriting a note to hand to our vet for Reconcile (Prozac). That worked for about three days and then he started acting up again. Nothing has worked for him. He is great in the house, wonderful with children (so patient and happy), listens and follows commands, etc. But as soon as you get him outside, he becomes agoraphobic and clambers to get back home. There have been times where he has frozen when he has seen another dog and growls, and he especially fearful of large/tall men and trucks.

What do we do? We've gotten him to the point where he is calm indoors, but as a 118 lb woman, I can barely control him when he loses it outside. Tried all leashes, collars, harnesses - and to add to that, I've trained several GSDs. When I couldn't figure out how to help him as a pup, I sought help, but nothing/no one has been able to stop this behavior :(

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
I would try an animal communicator. You've tried everything else. And at this point just let him stay in his comfort zone. If he is happy to stay at home, be let out to do his business, then that may be all this life has to offer him. I wouldn't pressure him to be what he isn't. I don't think any amount of desensitization will help his issues.
Some dogs just have "demons" that they cannot get over. I hope you do find help for him, his life outside his home sounds like it must be overwhelming.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would you believe people have actually suggested putting him down? Not going to happen. If he were skittish in the house or food/bone aggressive, then in this circumstance it may have been a vague idea. Not sure what to do. Have you ever used an animal communicator? We're willing to try anything.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Would you believe people have actually suggested putting him down? Not going to happen. If he were skittish in the house or food/bone aggressive, then in this circumstance it may have been a vague idea. Not sure what to do. Have you ever used an animal communicator? We're willing to try anything.
To me, he does seem like a liability...he's scared and could bite if he got away from you or run off. So, while I'm not surprised that people have suggested that I don't think that's the right answer.

I think there has to be a reason he's fearful of things and an animal communicator could help or at least provide some assistance to help your guy work through this.

My only other thought was perhaps he has something wrong neurologically speaking - a brain tumor or something.

I would try an animal communicator. You've tried everything else. And at this point just let him stay in his comfort zone. If he is happy to stay at home, be let out to do his business, then that may be all this life has to offer him. I wouldn't pressure him to be what he isn't. I don't think any amount of desensitization will help his issues.
Some dogs just have "demons" that they cannot get over. I hope you do find help for him, his life outside his home sounds like it must be overwhelming.
I think that, like what Onyx said, since he's happy in his home and he feels safe which is good. So, putting him down should only be a last resort, obviously...hopefully a good animal communicator can help him with his anxiety/fear.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He has been tested for everything you can think of, and is perfectly healthy. The trainer and behaviorist kept suggesting this may be my fault - that I may be transferring my fears onto him, but then they both experienced him firsthand and apologized. I'm pretty laid back and always happy when we go for a walk. It starts off great and then bam! He is bolting.

Do you guys happen to know of a site/animal communicator? I'm in the DC area. Never thought of using one before but this warrants a visit by one.

·
Registered
940 Posts
He has been tested for everything you can think of, and is perfectly healthy. The trainer and behaviorist kept suggesting this may be my fault - that I may be transferring my fears onto him, but then they both experienced him firsthand and apologized. I'm pretty laid back and always happy when we go for a walk. It starts off great and then bam! He is bolting.

Do you guys happen to know of a site/animal communicator? I'm in the DC area. Never thought of using one before but this warrants a visit by one.
Here's a directory of animal communicators :)

Animal Communicator Directory

1 - 8 of 8 Posts