German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok-so I picked this beautiful girl up just this past week, she is 3 years old, non altered (yet) and is from Czech lines. She is a wonderful girl and I already love her dearly! I feel so very awful for her that I cannot get her to stop having horrible diarrhea :( Even the entire month she was being held at the kennels, she had maybe one day that her stool actually had a shape to it. I have been to the vet already and he said she checked out perfectly fine, suggested that maybe it was stress? Allergies? Irregular diet? Insufficient protein (considering her lineage maybe she isn't getting the protein she requires?)???...he also suggested that I could give her pumpkin, plain yogurt (for probiotics), pepto, Imodium, rice, boiled chicken-I HAVE NO IDEA how I should be preparing her food and I am so confused now!

So far she (I've named her Nalla) is still happy and perky and constantly in motion and is staying hydrated. I can tell when her stomach is turning though and I'm sure she's very uncomfortable :c I bought a bag of Wilderness Blue Buffalo chicken flavor to try and for the last two days (this morning included) I have put a little under a cup of that, two heaping tablespoons of plain canned pumpkin, one egg, and (this morning only) I put some pepto in it as well...so far this morning she won't touch it :/ I've even mixed a little teaspoon of wet food and a couple pieces of boiled chicken in it to help make it more palatable, but she's only picking at it. Before yesterday, I was pretty much only giving her rice with a small hand full of kibble in it (didn't do a thing for her).

A little back history: From what I understand, Nalla's previous home was with a family that would forget to feed or give her water regularly-I'm not sure HOW they managed to do that and I'm not on here to bash them, but I thought it may help to know that bit...when friends (or maybe it was the kids?) would come over to visit, they would feed the dog something, but often times it was just whatever was in the fridge (so LOTS of random people food) because they had forgotten to keep dog food in stock. Someone-a friend I believe-took Nalla and housed her at their kennel-or took her to this kennel that I picked her up at and kept her for a while to try and find her a better home. I know she is up to date on vaccinations, I DO NOT know what kind of dry dog food she was eating when she did actually get it, or if her poop was even regular at her previous residence. She was wormed quite a few times while at the kennels so we're pretty confident that it's not a matter of parasites.

Someone please point me in the right direction! I need to get this little girl on the right track so she can feel better-any advice you can give me would be helpful, I appreciate it in advance! Out of all the shepherds i've had/worked with in the past, I've NEVER had one that was like this, and it's killing me :( The last two nights neither of us have been able to sleep because she constantly needed to get up and go out -last night she stopped telling me she had to and would just get up and go in her crate-NOT GOOD! I'm not as concerned with housebreaking at the moment as I am with getting her to actually have consistent poops-we can iron out that issue when she's able to hold it.

Again, thank you guys in advance!

*Torri~Nalla~Sammy~Angel*

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Ok, first of all, has she been checked for giardia and EPI?

You may be dealing with a combination of things and multiple wormings probably made things worse. :( Right now I would consider do all the testing and put her on a homemade diet and working with a professional to do so. Monica Segal is who I would go to because she will help you get the diet right for this dog. She may have SIBO, food allergies, stress related colitis, and/or some other intestinal disorder. From her history it sounds like at the very least she will need some special care to heal her digestive tract.

For the short term I would put her on a bland diet with an overcooked grain, a single protein (try something other than chicken like buffalo), sweet potatoes, canned pumpkin and a little raw, pureed kale (for vitamins and fiber).

I would give her a high quality probiotic (refridgerated from the health food store) and also try Perfect Form from Honest Kitchen.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I agree with BowWowMeow this could be a lot of different things :(

Is she losing weight? What did your vet test her for?

Here is the link to the EPI group: Forum - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

Here is Monica's yahoo group: K9Kitchen : dog diets raw cooked allergies disease

If you don't want to have a diet formulated for her I would put her on one of the prescription diets to see if it helps her diarrhea at all. In the past I always had good luck with Eukanuba Low Residue. This is just to give her system a rest until you can figure out what's going on.

Michaela

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
I would fast her for a couple of days to give her system a rest, while on a fast, make some home-made chicken stock, rapid boil bones 4-6 hrs - (quick recipe) w/ 1/4 cup of vinegar (extract minerals) in stock pot and strain bones (toss), cool refridgerate overnight and skim off the lard type fat that settles on top.

In the interim - Double boil (2x water, 2x the cooking time), *White* rice (specifically), strain the rice and reserve for feeding in couple days, Use the starch water, add some stock next day (1/4 -1/2 cup ea. 3-4 x's per day)

No yogart - too minimal to be of benefit and milk proteins hard to digest and not natural (humans are the only mammal that drink milk after infancy)

NO imodium! Can be toxic if MDR-1 mutant

Activated charcoal ([email protected] 260mg. if belly seems in distress, pain, girgling - helps w/gas pains) can repeat the dose in few hrs if seems needed.

Boil some extra lean gr. beef, or rabbit, turkey, (not too long)and strain and rinse.

Digestive enzymes - Berts digestive blend
Berte's Digestion Blend (1 lb.) Berte's Digestion Blend - bacterial pancreatic IBD and GI supplement [04016] - $40.95

This has amino acids for gastro tract repair, protein/fat digestion

You can also use slippery elm capsules or tea to replace the mucosal barrier and sooth inflammed tissues...

Keep fat to minimal as hardest to digest

Add in raw organic cold pressed coconut oil (when things normalize), anti-bacterial and anti-yeast and boost energy,, good for the brain, thyroid.

Raw diet after (best), contains all essential amino acids and enzymes for healthy gut and immune system

oh, and a probiotic as Ruth mentions - (brand by innovite - DDS formula, yeast buster)

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Wow I see all kinds of try this or try that in this thread. I would be very careful about trying all this new stuff. If she were my dog I would take her off of everything for 12-24 hours, give her stomach a chance to settle, then start her back on one thing at a time. If you are feeding kibble then just give her kibble maybe a sensitive stomach formula from your vet. If she does ok with that you can start adding stuff in but I wouldn't throw a bunch of new stuff at her all at once.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Lot of suggestions here and all seem reasonable. I would definitely fast her for 24 hours. That would be the first thing to kind of hit the *reset* button to her digestive tract. My holistic vet actually recommends doing this once every six months to keep the bacteria in check in their guts. You already said rice does not help her so I would not use rice. You can go to the vet and get Vetasyl which is a fiber supplement. Its all natural and I use it daily with my senior dog who has soft stools. Usually 1 capsule for every 20lbs of weight on top of their food.

One other thing to remember at this point, with a soft stool her anal glands are filling up every time she has a bowl movement, you are going to have to get them expressed (can be done by groomer, vet, or you can learn to do it yourself *it does smell really bad*). If you do not it can cause a lot of other issues including ruptured anal gland which can cause infection etc etc. Good luck! Hope she feels better soon!

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Lot of suggestions here and all seem reasonable. I would definitely fast her for 24 hours. That would be the first thing to kind of hit the *reset* button to her digestive tract. My holistic vet actually recommends doing this once every six months to keep the bacteria in check in their guts. You already said rice does not help her so I would not use rice. You can go to the vet and get Vetasyl which is a fiber supplement. Its all natural and I use it daily with my senior dog who has soft stools. Usually 1 capsule for every 20lbs of weight on top of their food.

One other thing to remember at this point, with a soft stool her anal glands are filling up every time she has a bowl movement, you are going to have to get them expressed (can be done by groomer, vet, or you can learn to do it yourself *it does smell really bad*). If you do not it can cause a lot of other issues including ruptured anal gland which can cause infection etc etc. Good luck! Hope she feels better soon!
Sorry to contradict...If she isn't scooting, then don't mess w/anal glands EVER - this leads to tiny tears in the area and leads to infection and you will end up on the veterinary hampster wheel of expressing, abx.

Do not feed brown rice (or white) starch water from white. NO oatmeal as this is contradicted for IBS.

NO vaccines during tihs time either

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for all the suggestions-it is a lot of info all at once!

I will definitely be having her fast again (I normally do the first day a new adult dog comes to my house) and I'll start trying one thing at a time...

Let's say I have her fast and tomorrow morning I try her on rice/chicken mixture-how many days should I wait while she's on that before trying to incorporate anything else? Or before I know whether that's working or not? Obviously if she has an intolerance to chicken, she won't be any better -but how long should I give it before I switch her to another meat? I was considering fish next before any red meats.

I appreciate your thoughts on the topic!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I think it's worth it, if it hasn't been done, that you have her tested for giardia, epi and coccidia , rule those out.

I agree there's alot of ''do this, do that'.. I like the fasting suggestion, and I'm not crazy about all the stuff your vet said to throw in her food.

I think you have to start 'simple', and go from there.

I would not mess with her anal glands, if there's no issue, don't start one:)

For the chicken rice, I'd use low salt chicken broth, cook up your chicken in it, cook your rice in it.. Personally, I'd feed it to her for atleast a week to calm down her gut.
I'd then go from there.

Again, I would want results from a giardia, coccidia and EPI test as well.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
A lot of people have recommended chicken and rice, which works great for many dogs. My GSD was allergic to chicken. My vet's breed is the GSD. Many years ago, he told me to fry up lean ground beef, remove all the grease and mix in All Bran cereal. It worked like a charm for my GSD and other breed dogs as well. I give a handful throughout the day. Firmed them right up. Just wanted to throw out an alternative.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Water. Pay attention to that as well. It could be tap water they gave her. The tap water has chloride in it, it works as disinfectant, but also it is poisonous for many bacteria we don't mean to die. People use bottled water, filtered water, or simply boiled water ( clhoride evaporates) for their liquid food, but many owners don't bother about their dog's guts. Chloride kills lactobacillus, beneficial bacteria which lives in intestines and, vertually, the organism cannot digest without it.

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts
I have been to the vet already and he said she checked out perfectly fine, suggested that maybe it was stress? Allergies? Irregular diet?
When you say "checked out perfectly fine", what exactly does that mean? Did they just do an exam, or did they test her for anything?

I think it's worth it, if it hasn't been done, that you have her tested for giardia, epi and coccidia, rule those out.
Totally agree. If your vet did not run any tests, I would start there. It's impossible to know the best course of action until you've got a diagnosis, and there are so many things that could cause digestive upset that it's often a process of elimination to get to that point.

If you're not sure if your vet ran tests or not, call them and ask, and see if they will fax or email you copies of the results.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Giardia, coccidia, whips, and maybe even rounds or hooks.
These must be checked for first.

Deworming 5 days with fenbendazole at a dose of 50mg/kg is always, to me, a good start.

Bland diet. Just to stir the pot and add yet another opinion.... I use a ground turkey and boiled/mashed sweet potato mix. That's all... for a few days.
Then add kefir, spinach, blueberries, canned salmon/mackerel, marrow bones .... all gradually.

Rule-outs SIBO, EPI are the biggies I think.

A B12 shot may be beneficial, as well as 30 days of Tylan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts