German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD gave birth to 11 puppies a week ago. All are healthy and gaining weight. I noticed some hard patches on the puppies bodies. The vet checked and said it was milk and needs to be removed so to wash the area with 'hibiscrub' until it comes off. It's not really coming off and I'm worried about infection from the bacteria in the milk causing hotspots. Please has anyone experienced this and any ideas on how to get it off?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Can you post a pic? I have a friend who's frenchies had something like you describe. No other symptoms. The vet said to leave it and see what happened as otherwise they were healthy gaining etc.

I posted to a breeder page on Facebook and another breeder had experienced something similar, at 10 days the spots or "scabs" appeared, her vet was conservative, did nothing, at 3 weeks the 1st puppy passed away completely unexpectedly. Literally eating, running, playing, then passed away. She right away had the vet put the rest of the litter on antibiotics and brought the puppy for a necropsy.

They found white spots on the liver of the puppy and determined it was a bacterial infection. The breeder did a 10 day course of antibiotics, the spots healed and she didn't lose anymore from the litter.

My friend started her Frenchies on antibiotics straight away, never lost one and the spots healed almost immediately.

If you can post a pic, I can tell if the Frenchies spots looked similar, but I would definitely want a second opinion from a repro vet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts