German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a aunt to a very sweet 2 year old German Shepard. Moka. Her dad and I feel so bad for her when she gets these rashes. It doesn't seem to bother her much, but every not and then she will lick or bite at them. They look terrible. Shes had them on her groin area and on her armpits. The vet will put her on steroids and Apoquel. She also has medicated bath wash she gets every 3 to 4 weeks. Just looking for advice or help. Would love to get my girl all clear up and not have this happen again. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
It looks like yeast to me. I use Keto-C shampoo on my pups. It is a Rx shampoo that has 2% Chlorhexidine (anti-microbial and 1% Ketoconazole (anti-fungal). For an infection as seen in the photos, I would wash her with it twice a day. You lather it up and leave it on for 8-10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and then pat dry with a towel. You should start to see a difference after a few days of this. Then you can cut back to once a day. I usually continue the wash for a few days after it's healed to make sure it doesn't come back. I've also used 1 % Clotrimazole cream on yeast infection if the dog isn't licking or chewing on it. You don't want the pup to ingest these meds. The Keto-C is supposed to require a prescription but you can buy it on Amazon without one. Clotrimazole is generic Lotriman and you can find it at any pharmacy. There are many other topical remedies for yeast but I've had great results from the two I've posted here.

You should also know that yeast infections in dogs are usually the result of allergies. This can be difficult to pin down because it can be caused by food or other things in the environment. Ask your vet about this. She may benefit from antihistamines and/or a change in diet.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
My dog was getting a rash too. It looked different from yours but in the same area. It was a food allergy. He is now on a novel protein diet and I use BioHex Mousse on it. I also filter all his water and the rash is gone. If it is yeast it should go away with a shampoo like Ketoseb.

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
NOTE that the Organic Apple Cider Vinegar must be diluted 50/50 with pure water (not city tap water).
Do not apply any type of vinegar to open sores or get into eyes as it burns.

If you want to try a "Natural" approach instead of drugs:
Providone Iodine for skin infections, hot spots, abrasions or other skin problems.
In a small bowl, dilute a few drops of Providone Iodine with purified water, to the color of Ice Tea.
I use large cotton squares or rounds to wipe down affected areas, then throw away. Do this 3 times per day.
Avoid eyes.

Per Dr. Karen Becker: “Providone Iodine will take care of staph, yeast, and pretty much any common bacteria, but doesn't sting or irritate the dog's skin at all. And it's safe if dogs lick the area after cleaning.”

You can purchase the Providone Iodine and Cotton at your local drug store.

Also, check your pm.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
My golden retriever had a rash just like that in the same area for months. I switched her food multiple times, tried all kinds of different proteins, limited ingredient diets, cut out everything except her kibble. Tried the medicated baths once a week. Nothing helped. Finally, she got a fox tail burrowed in her vulva, so she was put on antibiotics. That kicked the rash AND the constant diarrhea, and it hasn’t been back since.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks like yeast to me. I use Keto-C shampoo on my pups. It is a Rx shampoo that has 2% Chlorhexidine (anti-microbial and 1% Ketoconazole (anti-fungal). For an infection as seen in the photos, I would wash her with it twice a day. You lather it up and leave it on for 8-10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and then pat dry with a towel. You should start to see a difference after a few days of this. Then you can cut back to once a day. I usually continue the wash for a few days after it's healed to make sure it doesn't come back. I've also used 1 % Clotrimazole cream on yeast infection if the dog isn't licking or chewing on it. You don't want the pup to ingest these meds. The Keto-C is supposed to require a prescription but you can buy it on Amazon without one. Clotrimazole is generic Lotriman and you can find it at any pharmacy. There are many other topical remedies for yeast but I've had great results from the two I've posted here.

You should also know that yeast infections in dogs are usually the result of allergies. This can be difficult to pin down because it can be caused by food or other things in the environment. Ask your vet about this. She may benefit from antihistamines and/or a change in diet.
Thank you for your reply i will look into this!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thank you for your reply i will look into this!

·
Registered
82 Posts
NOTE that the Organic Apple Cider Vinegar must be diluted 50/50 with pure water (not city tap water).
Do not apply any type of vinegar to open sores or get into eyes as it burns.

If you want to try a "Natural" approach instead of drugs:
Providone Iodine for skin infections, hot spots, abrasions or other skin problems.
In a small bowl, dilute a few drops of Providone Iodine with purified water, to the color of Ice Tea.
I use large cotton squares or rounds to wipe down affected areas, then throw away. Do this 3 times per day.
Avoid eyes.

Per Dr. Karen Becker: “Providone Iodine will take care of staph, yeast, and pretty much any common bacteria, but doesn't sting or irritate the dog's skin at all. And it's safe if dogs lick the area after cleaning.”

You can purchase the Providone Iodine and Cotton at your local drug store.

Also, check your pm.
I did 70% appel cider vinegar 30% destilled water. She didnt first accept it but after a while she is fine.

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
I did 70% appel cider vinegar 30% destilled water. She didnt first accept it but after a while she is fine.
@hirakawa,
Thank you for the clarification! :)
Some readers who are not familiar with the Organic Apple Cider Vinegar technique may have used the ACV in it's pure form, which could possibly irritate the skin and burn an opened sore.

For those readers wondering about the ACV:
. Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. You will know it is organic because you will see brown matter called “The Mother” (which contains the medicinal properties) floating around in the bottle. It can be used internally (drizzled on their food to aide in digestion) and externally (for itching).
Make a 50/50 mix of the Organic ACV with purified water (not city tap water) and after a bath with a mild organic or castile soap/shampoo, rub the Organic ACV mix down into the skin/coat, working in small areas, until the whole dog is covered including legs and belly. Always being careful of their eyes (vinegar stings). Let dog drip dry, do not rinse off. You can put the mix in a spray bottle and spray on their coats and specific itchy spots (if skin is not opened) a few times per day till you see improvement. You can also use this mix to wipe out ears.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts