German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! First time here. So i have a “assumed” GSD pup that is “assumed” 12 weeks. She is also supposed to be purebread (Mom CKC Dad AKC). Long story short, the couple we bought Meeka from won’t return calls or texts. Not sure what is true and what’s not. And it’s had me worried. This is what worries me:

1) Size is 11 pounds @ 12 weeks
2) Ears don’t even look like they’re able to stand
3) shades of white on her paws and kind of chest
4) curly tail 50% of the time

How old would you guess her age?
Are these ears normal being on the side like that?
Shades of white don’t seem to be typical?
Curly tail i hear mixed things about.

She’s very well behaved and very smart. But here’s Meeka!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
What you have is an absolutely adorable pup. Age is tough to say but could be twelve weeks, does she have all of her puppy teeth?
GSD is doubtful, but she is cute. Does it matter?

·
Super Moderator
6,443 Posts
She is adorable!Looks like maybe some husky mixed in there.She reminds me a lot of my girl Misty as a pup - the eyes,ears,and curly tail.The color looks GSD though.No matter,she's a bright eyed little fuzzball and did I mention adorable?:)Enjoy her!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh she is absolutely adorable and fun. I guess I’m just trying to ask people that have experience with GSD. Her not being purebread is fine with me but I’d like to get an idea of what people think she might be asap for training and obedience purposes. Also i don’t want to expect a 75lbs GSD if I’m getting a 45lbs mixed something.

Any ideas on what else she could be? And why? Thanks so much for the replies btw

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
She is an adorable pup and is going grow into a beautiful girl. She looks mixed, but perfectly healthy and that is what is important. Enjoy your baby and don't worry if she is purebred. Both of my dogs are mixes and they are awesome. I wouldn't trade them for the world.

Love her and train her. She will be the best dog you have ever had.

·
Registered
646 Posts
To my untrianed eye, it seems she's prob less than 12... I'd guess closer to 10wks, but her coat looks more gown up, like that of a 16+wk pup. I mean, my pup's fur had long hairs, but mostly puppy fluff and looked disheveled and unkept (started looking nicer around 12wks). She didn't start getting her adult coat until 15wks

I wouldn't be surprised if she was actually around 16wks old. Fur just looks too much like adult fur

Her ears seem maybe lab-ish? I only had a lab so anything looks lab to me, haha

I've seen purebred GSDs with a curled tail, so I wouldn't go off that. White on the chest I THINK can be on a PB. The 2 dogs I've seen have had Aussie Shepherd mixed and that lead to a white chest

I'd just bet that she's probably going to be on the small side

Maybe when she's older some other traits may show better in build

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
shades of white can be found on purebred puppies, but yours does look like it has something else mixed in. Have fun with your puppy. There looks to be GSD in there, so training is your friend.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Just when I think I've seen the cutest puppy ever....she is real cute. You can do a DNA test that's probably the best way to find out. Just work with what motivates the puppy in front you until you know more about her breed. Best advice I can think to give. Enjoy

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm very inexperienced but could she be a GSD mix with a reversed mask? Her eyes and lack of mask is what throws my untrained eye off.

·
Registered
10,215 Posts
To me: the first picture she looks 8 weeks, in the youngest picture more like 5 weeks old. She doesn't look purebred to me but she is a very good looking pup. Don't have GSD expectations for her. Take and enjoy her like she is.
If, after a few years, you still crave a GSD, you can go to a good, honest breeder but first get this little gal trained. Keep us posted. It is always exciting to see how they turn out. Have fun with her. I love her expression.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
White on a GSD's chest or paws is not unusual. Also, she has a reverse mask, which is a recessive trait in the breed. Hard to say without seeing her in person.

Here's Star as a pup - the white markings on her toes and chest faded as she got older. The link goes to Proven Hill's Banker of Altana, a well known American show line stud, who did extremely well in the breed ring, despite a huge white patch on his chest.

The second photo shows Tasha, one of my rescues (far right of photo). She had a reverse mask, very similar to your puppy's She lived to be 14.

Proven Hill's Banker of Altana

Attachments

·
Registered
31,597 Posts
I don't see a GSD at all. I see a hound or a northern breed..

My male was 12# at 8 weeks. But it's not the size that makes me question the ancestry. It's the look in the head and face.

Yes, GSD's can have white on them.
Yes, GSD's start with floppy ears and they come up with age. Sometimes they stay soft due to cartilage thickness and strength.
Yes, their tails can curl to some extent. It's called a 'gay tail' but they will not curl like a husky or northern breed.

I would question the "CKC" portion of this program.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
What does CKC stand for?

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I don't see a GSD at all. I see a hound or a northern breed..

My male was 12# at 8 weeks. But it's not the size that makes me question the ancestry. It's the look in the head and face.

Yes, GSD's can have white on them.
Yes, GSD's start with floppy ears and they come up with age. Sometimes they stay soft due to cartilage thickness and strength.
Yes, their tails can curl to some extent. It's called a 'gay tail' but they will not curl like a husky or northern breed.

I would question the "CKC" portion of this program.
I hate that Continental uses CKC abbreviation. The Canadian Kennel Club should not have to be tarred with that brush all the time.
I thought hound X when I first looked, I see no GSD at all. And she does look to be an older pup to me. Without knowing the breed it's tough to guess since small breeds tend to mature much faster.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Sabis I so agree -- how about the "other" rogue kennel club using CKC - how about ConKC.
to end confusion.

CKC , Canadian Kennel Club , have the same standards and rquirements, which are world recognized.

this pup --- holy cow what a cutey.

I do not see any GSD ---

I do see beagly hound -- round eyes , head shape , body size and proportions.

Looks like a engaged , connected , social dog . Good health .
Probably 10 to 12 weeks based on the possible breed mix.

Looks like a perfect in like a dirty shirt sleeve companion , the kind kids had following them
from friends house to friends house when we (or i ) was a kid .

all dogs need the same training for good companions . Same house rules , same behave in social situtations .

GSd may require a different pathway in respect to early training and conditioning because you want to develop a part of them for a work or sport future .

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm not sure if your pup if purebred or not, she definitely has a Beagle puppy look to her. Those big round eyes are just precious, she's a doll! I hope to see pictures as she grows!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts