German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help in determining what this is on my pups face. She is 8 months old now. She recently had some puppy pyoderma which she had some antibiotics and it cleared up. All the sudden I noticed this on her muzzle, not sure if it is the same thing or something else. Im trying to get some insight before I spend a fortune at the vet. Any help will be great. i know its a little blurry, but its kinda like a bald spot sorta or not sure if its an ingrown hair either.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
could be a touch of demodectic mange, it's most likely best to take her to the vet for a skin scraping

·
Registered
906 Posts
It looks like a pyodermic cyst. When I was going to school to be a surgical assitant, we removed alot of those. They are nasty, like a giant pimple! I would definitley get it checked like Diane said just so whatever it is doesnt get worse or spread and then cost you even more money!

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Jax had the same thing recently... I bought him some cute ceramic bowls and I think that's what caused it. I switched all of his bowls back to stainless steel and took away all of his non-kong toys and it seems to be almost gone. The one eye next to the area was also red before it started getting better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually gave her keflex last time. I had some more refills so I am going to give her that for two weeks and see if it clears up. Thanx for all the help, if anyone else has any ideas what it may be please feel free to add.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
The Penaten cream works better than anything else. I found out about it through this board and it cleared up Rafi's lip fold pyoderma in 2 days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will look into it for sure, does it look like pyoderma to you. Im worried since someone mentioned possible mange

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
It's really hard to tell from that one picture.

Mange is no big deal though: Rafi had mange when I adopted him and I treated it by boosting his immune system and using some all natural topical stuff. If it is mange be sure not to let your vet use ivermectin. That can cause more problems!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will give it a week with the antibiotics and see. I hope its not mange, just for the simple fact of the horror stories but im glad u say its pretty easy. Just curious is mange something common in pups? Also what topical stuff did you use?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well Sage got her face scraped and it turns out she has demodex mange. I was told by the vet this is not a big deal but it still freaks me out. They gave me Goodwinol cream to rub on her spot. Well while I was at the vet they found a small spot on her back leg as well, again they told me no big deal. Well its been six days now from putting on the cream and still no change. I actually noticed a small spot on the back of her right ear. I was told by the vet to go ahead and order Promeris and that it will kill everything. Im just wondering if anyone has had experience with this and could give me some reaassurance.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Well its been six days now from putting on the cream and still no change. I actually noticed a small spot on the back of her right ear. I was told by the vet to go ahead and order Promeris and that it will kill everything. Im just wondering if anyone has had experience with this and could give me some reaassurance.
A watched pot never boils ;) is it just that the fur is still missing that makes it look bad or is the site not improving at all? The scabs will take a little while to fall off and after that, the fur will start to come back. It's even an improvement if it stopped getting worse.
I haven't tried Promeris but I've heard good things about it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I gave her the first dose of promeris...wooo what an odor that stuff has! Im just hoping that it works. Actually today i was petting Sage when I noticed on her chest near her arm pits it almost looked like her hair was thinning. For about a week she has been biting at her chest so Im assuming it was her dealing with the mange. Any how I will keep giving updates with the promeris.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts