German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Koda is 11 weeks old and he’s been home for a week and half now. He has hardly eaten anything since being home.

I took him to the vet last week and he said Koda was underweight at 17lbs and to try handfeeding him or mixing chicken or cottage cheese in his dry food but none of that has worked. When I mix stuff into the dry, sometimes he’ll eat a little bit if he can’t eat around it, but rarely. Sometimes if it’s a new mixture he’ll gobble it right up but then the next meal won’t even touch that same concoction. I’ve tried 3 different dry foods, the bag the breeder sent with me, blue buffalo wilderness which is what I’ve mainly tried feeding him, and a little bit of performatrin ultra to test. None seem to appeal to him. So far I’ve mixed boiled chicken, beef broth, chicken broth, Greek yogurt, peanut butter, and fresh pet select. I’m getting very worried because I want him to get the right nutrients and be healthy but I just can’t figure out how to get him to eat. And I know he’s hungry because he’ll scrounge for treat crumbs and waits for his meals as I prepare them.

His breeder did tell me that he was on a raw food diet but also ate dry food. She told me it wouldn’t be a problem feeding him dry and there wouldn’t need to be any ease into it. And he has worms which I don’t know if that would affect it any?

I go back into the vet on Monday and will discuss with him but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or suggestions?

I would try new dry food if I knew that he would it eat it but I can’t just keep buying dry food that’s going to get thrown away. I’m also thinking about caving in and start feeding raw but I know that will be much more expensive and I haven’t got the slightest idea what and how much to feed. I’ve tried looking it up but I’m mostly staring at the screen dumbfounded not understanding anything! Lol I guess in the long run I’ll save money since I just keep throwing away his food that he hasn’t touched anyways. And I’ve been trying to feed him a good grain free dog food brand but should I try a grain brand that may be tastier or just drop dry food altogether?

I’m kind of at a loss right now.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Try soaking the food in GOAT milk. Pups can digest goat milk pretty well, and soaking the food will make it more appetizing. You can find pasteurized goat milk at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and other well stocked natural grocers in the milk cooler. Raw would probably be better, but it's very hard to find in urban areas. You can also find powdered at feed supply stores, or some pet supply stores. The Honest Kitchen makes a good one called Pro Bloom, if you have any high-end pet supply stores local to you that sell their products.

DO NOT SUBSTITUTE COW'S MILK (dogs don't digest it well).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried soaking the food in goats milk. He liked the goats milk but just drank the milk and licked the kibble. I mixed the dry kibble with wellness puppy wet food. He hobbled that up, but we’ll see if he’ll continue to eat it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts