German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Sorry if there is a post elsewhere for this, I just cant seem to find it! :)

Zara is 8-9 weeks old and her biting is getting ridiculous. I cant give her any sort of attention without her biting me. This is not soft biting this is now drawing blood. She has lots of toys and she is very well treated, we try placing a toy in her mouth, saying NO in a stern voice, saying ouch even waking away and ignoring her for a few minutes but every time we come back it is just the same again after a few minutes of playing. When she bites she just wont let go!

Zara comes from a reputable breeder who is a family friend.

Does anybody have any suggestions coz my poor hands and feet cant take this anymore! :(

Thanks Laura

·
Registered
391 Posts
The only thing I remember is that it took a lot of time and patience. If Riley wouldn't stop, she was placed (calmly) in her crate for a short time out. I kept up with the "OUCH" when she would bite and constantly redirected her bitey mouth to an acceptable toy. Over time she got the hang of it, but I don't think it happened overnight. sadly.

I also greatly limited her time with my kids during this phase since it took no time at all for them to whip her into a biting frenzy.

She's now incredibly gentle and can roughhouse with the rest of us, and is very gentle with her mouth. I also made sure to feed her out of my hand, saying "easy" with each bite. She's darn near "dainty" when I feed her something from my hands now.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
It's not something you can teach and be done with it when they're this young, it's a process. Like StellaSquash said, patience, redirect, use the crate. Eventually they do stop, honest. :)

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Mine stopped at 5 1/2 months. Until then, nothing worked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aw thanks for replying everyone!

I'm glad it's not just me it's happening/happened to! :) knowing you've all been through it makes me realise that it can be done! :)

Just away to head to the pet shop to get her more toys and hopefully they'll taste better than my hands :)

Thanks as always

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Aw thanks for replying everyone!

I'm glad it's not just me it's happening/happened to! :) knowing you've all been through it makes me realise that it can be done! :)

Just away to head to the pet shop to get her more toys and hopefully they'll taste better than my hands :)

Thanks as always
Just hope she won't lunge and bite your butt, as mine did to me! :wild:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just hope she won't lunge and bite your butt, as mine did to me! :wild:
Haha! Not happened yet..... :)

We've had a good day, she seems to have calmed down a lot! I think once she has her 2nd jabs and we can get her out for proper walks she will be a lot better! Just been running in the garden for around 35 mins and now she's asleep on my feet after giving me lots of cuddles! :) maybe I should do this more often! :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Welcome and trust me, as you already know, you are not alone! German Shepherd puppies are notorious land sharks. Both mine and my husband's arms and legs use to be covered in bite marks. The best thing you can do is keep redirecting her to a toy to chew on, rather than yourself. I had to carry a toy with me everywhere and as soon as she'd start, I'd say no and then place a toy in her mouth.

I would also try acting like a tree when she'd get pretty bad, and/or walking away from her, but she would run after me biting at my heels and ankles. She tore a lot of my clothes, jeans, slippers, boots, etc. I use to think I had an aggressive puppy and would lock myself in my bedroom and cry some days thinking it would never end. Trust me, it does, it may take a while but it does eventually end. My girl Tess is 7 months old now and she still can be nippy at times, especially when she's not had enough exercise.

Engage with her as much as you can, tire her out and always keep a toy close by...;)

Good luck and congratulations on your new puppy!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i am a first owner of a Belgium cross German Shepherd and i call he Angel but she is a little devil at mo. she is 12 weeks and is a gobby madam and mouths all the time so different to my staffy crosses. has got her in to a few near misses with my bitch darla as she hurts when she mouths her. i hope it will settle as i have to muzzle her when my friends 3 year old son come around to stop the mouthing. i am not so bothered but don't what her to get a bad rep as i can see she has potential. even a local police officer was eyeing her up, being gobby i don't mind but i need to get on top of the mouthing, any tip as she does it all the time. she is also a big whimp if i have to hold her for such as worming to flea treatment you would think i was killing her. :wub:

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I am in the same boat. My husband is calling my 11 week old pup Zeusifer. He is a total shark and he is completely fearless! So yelping, yelling, no, does nothing. Tomorrow is puppy school and I am looking forward.

My brother had a biting puppy and he took him to class and puppy play time at a daycare, in about two weeks his pup stopped biting! I think what happens is he fount a pit-bull pup to play with and they bit each-other so hard that both pups were bleeding! After this, the soft-mouth it was =) I am a horrible parent, but I really hope that another puppy roughhouses with mine so he understands the force of his bite....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts