German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my puppy rico is about 9 months old now, and he has been such a great dog. however, just this past week, i have really been working with him on his pulling and lunging while on our walks/jogs. i use an easy walk harness, and ill pull him back a little and tell him slow. after telling him to slow down several times, he seems to get frustrated with me. in between, i make sure to tell him wen he is doing good or treat him for it.

The other day when we were on our walk, i had told him slow several times, he then whipped around at me and grabbed his leash and very aggressively yanked on it to where he was pulling me. i told him no! and to leave it! ( which he normally responds to) he ignored me and started to bare his teeth and growl at me, so i grabbed him and pinned him down and told him no! he then kept baring his teeth at me and tugging on the leash, it went on for awhile. i brought him home because i was upset, and tried agan the next morning. the same thing happened. he got very aggressive, and even scared me. i am just not sure what the correct thing to do it, because if i keep walking and ignore him pulling on the leash, he does not stop. i have tried, and i also do not want him thinking that he can get away with it, or that it is okay. any advice would be greatly appreciated. i should add that he is about 80 lbs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am not an expert, but hope some other members will give you better advise.

I remember those days with max:cry::cry::cry:

First of all, never ever pin your dog, this will def break your bond with him and he'll be scared of you instead of respecting you. One thing saved me was Prong collar. I remeber the first time i put it on and he was a totally different dog. I still use prong with Max on my walk everyday. People will have different opinions on prong, do do what you think is right.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Get a prong collar, the harness is not working. Pinning down your dog is probably the worst thing you can do in that situation. At 80 pounds that dog is starting to get where it could do some serious damage if it felt threatened enough to fight back with you from being pinned down. Mine is 100lbs and working through protection training right now, if I were to do something like that to her she would be absolutely terrified that her owner and friend would touch her that way, and might even take a bite at me.

Once you get a prong, learn the proper way to position it on the dog, high and behind the ears not low on the neck. It should be snug. Before going out on a walk again you need get OB down. The dog needs to start looking at you to make its decisions not making them on its own. The prong is not going to hurt your dog, so get that nonsense out of your head as quickly as possible. Start at the house and get a good solid heel. Until the dog is heeling correctly you are only reinforcing bad behaviors letting her go out and run the show. Once out there, come up with a command specific to the barking/charging towards other dogs. Enforce the command. Typically a real solid yank on the prong collar should be enough to distract. If she starts tensing up and looking and responds to the command by looking away or back up at you, lots of slow calm praise and continue on your way. There are other things you can do, but start there and let us know how it works before moving on.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi just read a kind of similar post and other people with experience (not me!) suggested the "two week shutdown" - you can search for it on this site.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
This sounds like a boy a bit to full of himself, pushing and testing limits. Then with you being scared of him, he can sense that, so he will push harder.

First, stop pinning him. It really doesn't teach him anything and can cause further issues. Next begin NILIF. Read that page, search this forum for details.

How much training has he had? If you haven't taken training classes, get involved with one. Not the Petsmart variety, but with a trainer who knows GSD. Seriously, get started with this now. Your pup will learn obedience. Most of all it will help you regain confidence while handling him.

·
Registered
156 Posts
This sounds like a boy a bit to full of himself, pushing and testing limits. Then with you being scared of him, he can sense that, so he will push harder.

First, stop pinning him. It really doesn't teach him anything and can cause further issues. Next begin NILIF. Read that page, search this forum for details.

How much training has he had? If you haven't taken training classes, get involved with one. Not the Petsmart variety, but with a trainer who knows GSD. Seriously, get started with this now. Your pup will learn obedience. Most of all it will help you regain confidence while handling him.

Really solid advice.

They can sense your fear, anxiety. Likely it starts the moment you see the situation that is coming up and fearing the coming result.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Prong
NILIF
"Groundwork" from Leerburg (google it)
Patience
Consistency
Calmness with no fear (from you)
Exercise
Fun
Love