German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my female puppy is stepping into 13 weeks but only weigh about 20lbs instead of 26.7lbs in the growth chart. She is still on the same smallest hole on the smallest collar since I got her at 8 weeks.

I have been feeding her Canidae All Life Stage beef lamb chicken fish for a couple weeks. I used to feed her Bil Jac puppy food and Purina One puppy food before Canidae. She also used to have roundworms but have been dewormed twice in the last month. My question is should I switch to something with high crude protein (42-44%) to stimulate growth?

Bigger Version

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Don't get too crazed by the growth charts, they just GENERALLY give a rough idea. Some of our pups grow slower, some faster. Genetics takes over at some point if you are feeding your pup well, so you get what you get.

As long as your vet has cleared for other issues, any your pup is acting full of energy and healthy, AND you are using a good diet and enough of it, then I would try to relax. (though we all obsess....). Talk to the breeder to see how the other pups in the litter are doing, and how past litters grew.

The photo of you pup seems fine, but be better with a side shot, a shot looking down, and a bit closer. Even then though, all the people I know a pup on the lean side is WAY better than a fat puppy, cause the fat ones are the ones that can end up with the health issues later on.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
If you can take some pictures of her standing with you standing directly above and then some of her standing from the side then we can tell you more but in that picture she looks absolutely fine. Are her hipbones sticking out? If not then she's probably fine. The growth charts are guidelines but every puppy is different. She may just be small or she may just get a growth spurt a little later.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
The growth chart is basically worthless. All puppies are individuals.
My pup weighed 12.3 lbs at 8 weeks which the according to the "chart" is small. But at 4 months she is 45 lbs. (And NOT fat.) And the chart says 44LBS at 5 months. So now all of a sudden she is "bigger" than "average". (Mine has been eating Canidae since 9 weeks.)

·
Registered
618 Posts
I don't know much but she looks good to me. She looks happy and healthy! I'm sure the others could give you a more specific answer though. Hope you make out ok

·
Registered
606 Posts
As the others have said, I wouldn't worry too much as long as he's healthy. My boy Shadow weighed 23lbs at 4 months, but was and is healthy. At 7months, he's 47 lbs. still underweight according to the charts, but well proportioned. And next week, who knows!!! We are going through a growth spurt.

By the way, gorgeous puppy!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
the worst thing you could do is try to feed your dog into fitting the weight chart. better that she's lean and healthy and dont worry about the numbers.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
My male pup Havoc has always been under weight according to the charts. At 12 months he finally weighed what a female 12 month old *should* weigh per the chart. So don't let the chart fool you.

She should have a nice, defined waist with a layer of fat over her ribs. Her hips bones should be felt but not jutting out. If she is thay way she is fine.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Because of this thread we weighed Baron last night and he's 86 lbs he's 8 months he looks trim I figured he was high 70's or maybe even 80 nope. So I guess you really have to just go by what looks right huh. As long as they are healthy looking acting ok, and happy I guess thats what counts the most

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Yikes!!! Havoc is 73 pounds at 14 months!!! Goes to show the chart is not the holy grail!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I think he is going to take after his dad because he is HUGE

·
Registered
618 Posts
Sorry I was off on his weight he is 89 not 86 my DW just corrected me

·
Registered
618 Posts
Looks ok to me Baron was skinny then took off. I made sure I just kept following the chart on his food for what he should get and made sure I didn't overfeed him. Also asked questions on here ALOT. I didn't want a fat puppy, but let somebody that knows what their talking about answer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally Posted By: BaronthegreatLooks ok to me Baron was skinny then took off. I made sure I just kept following the chart on his food for what he should get and made sure I didn't overfeed him. Also asked questions on here ALOT. I didn't want a fat puppy, but let somebody that knows what their talking about answer.
So overfeeding is actually bad for skinny puppies? I thought since they are underweight they would need more food than regular puppies?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Plus should i still follow the chart on my food if it doesn't say "for large breed puppy"? I thought the chart would be for regular size dogs? Thanks!!

·
2,967 Posts
He looks fine to me. Puppies go through weird phases. Fat and round day, skinny the next. I was pretty sure our girl had some greyhound in her, she was so thin and leggy for awhile. Now it's starting to even out and she's putting on weight. At 7 months.

You want to see a weird skinny puppy...This is Anka at 12 weeks just after he legs sprouted out of her body. Have no fear we do feed her! She was eating about 4 cups a day of Candidae.

Here she is at 6 months...

And now she's really starting to fill out, but unfortunately I don't have any pictures of her now!

Yes. Overfeeding is not good. You don't want a fat puppy. As long as she's healthy, (have your vet check her out if your concerned) I wouldn't be concerned about her weight. Everyone grows their own way in their own time.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
don't try to make your pup a size she shouldn't be. she's young and growing so quickly. feed her what's normal and watch out for the high protein levels. maybe she's a smaller Shep. are her parents big ?

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
The dog looks fine to me, in fact just plain normal. Each animal is so different, in terms of matabolism, energy, how much they play and are ran, or go swimming.

Forget the charts, and go with your instincts. If the dog is happy, playful and energetic, I would not be concerned.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts