German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got our gsd puppy this past Saturday. He's been great minus how he reacts to our cats. He starts barking and growling at them so they of course run away which makes him try to run after them. I've tried holding his collar while trying to introduce them but he does the same thing.
Has anyone introduced a puppy to cats who have been with you for a while? Did it take a long time for them to relax around each other? Any tips?

·
Registered
334 Posts
We have had our pup since 8 weeks old and have a ragdoll cat and he still chases her and bites way too hard and she just takes it "doesn't fight back" so I am constantly separating them I did try to let them "fight it out" with my supervision but he was too rough with the cat and I felt bad and put her out of sight or him outside they are pretty much just being rotated.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
ALL puppies want to play. My mellow girl wasn't any different. My cats are pretty dog savvy but puppies.... that's a whole different ballgame there. It will take time and training to get your puppy to learn the cats aren't interested in playing. One way you can discourage your puppy from behaving poorly around the cats is let your puppy learn the hard way the cats are boss. You have to work on teaching your puppy to leave the cats alone and let the cats teach him too. Crate your puppy and let the cats sniff around. He can see them but isn't allowed to get to them. This is a safe way for them to get used to each other.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My husband said to let our one cat get a hold of him and then he'd leave them alone, but I'm just not ok with what could happen. Would rather not end up at the vet clinic.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
My husband said to let our one cat get a hold of him and then he'd leave them alone, but I'm just not ok with what could happen. Would rather not end up at the vet clinic.

I've never once heard of a puppy having to go to the vet because he pushed the cats buttons too many times. Cats have a pretty good way of teaching a dog a healthy dose of respect. Sometimes, pups have to learn the hard way. And to be totally honest, they learn a lot faster to leave the cat alone when the cat tells them to back off itself...

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Yes, we brought in 3 dogs at various times and we already had cats (now one cat). This may sound silly, but I don't expect them to chase the cat. I expect them do to what I'm telling them. So, when we got Riley and he tried to chase the cat I told him , "No! That's our cat. We're nice to our cat." and he stopped chasing the her. He will at her head and she rolls around and purrs, but they get along.

At training today there was a cat. A few dogs barked and lunged at it. Riley just remained calm and looked at the cat with interest.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I've never once heard of a puppy having to go to the vet because he pushed the cats buttons too many times. Cats have a pretty good way of teaching a dog a healthy dose of respect. Sometimes, pups have to learn the hard way. And to be totally honest, they learn a lot faster to leave the cat alone when the cat tells them to back off itself...
I have... My puppy had to go to the e-vet bc one of our cats scratched his eyeball and gave him a corneal ulceration. Not all cats will be nice about it. The female, she will attack him for pretty much zero reason at all, the male cat on the other hand, is very "gentle" with his lessons. Almost too gentle. Either way, Berlin still hasn't learned after two incidents with the female cat.

Sometimes, they just won't get along. I have tried almost everything. Right now we keep them separated. Hopefully one day they will all get along.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
79 Posts
Had the same issue also! In the end the cats had enough and stood their ground!! Pup nows steers well clear of our fat angry female torty and plays with our younger tabby male (who thinks he's a dog anyway!) At the end of the day i gave up trying to tell him no and had to let him figure it out for himself! The way i saw it was the more i with-held him from the more tempting it was for him... just like a child being told to leave the packet of lollies alone! lol

First encounters!! Poor cat running and Xander giving chase!

These days they play nicely 99% of the time after the cat sorted him out!

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Good luck.
Hans still wants to chase the cat.
I don't let him, but he still wants to.
The cat stays away from him.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I just rescued a 1 year old male GSD that has never been around cats. Of course he was curious about them right in the door. The problem? My cats don't run, they will walk past him, stare him down, and then when he gets close they might swat. He is fine with them walking past him and even with the staring, but he gets really defensive if they swat. I got him on Saturday and he is getting better every day, obviously I can't train the cats, that would make it so much easier. He is a very focused dog and thankfully I'm more important then the cat, its getting easier and easier for him to walk away. They said he had no obedience training, but I'm finding that he knows more then what they thought...he has a excellent recall. I will tell you that I'm tired, every moment he is not crated I'm watching him like a hawk, hopefully it will pay off.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the advice. My concern was both my cats have very sharp claws (trust me I know), and I don't want my puppy to end up with stitches. I see the points about the more I try to restrain him the more he wants to get to them. So today I will allow him to figure it out on his own. Thank you all so much. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts