German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, we are getting a second GSD! I have read a lot about cases where the dogs will bond too closely together. They are very close in age, and are opposite sexes. Both dogs have great temperaments and have had sufficient enough training/socialization to get along well. The question we have is what can we do to prevent them from bonding too much (especially until the new one bonds to us) thanks in advance for some great feedback

·
Registered
247 Posts
Lots of individual training. The puppy needs lots of training and play with you while the older dog is in the crate, or in another room.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Keep them separated from each other when the new comes home and limit their time together until you have built up a strong bond with the new one.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I like to let the dogs have each other for "leftovers" most of the time. So, when they are full of energy and fresh, I train individually. Lots of motivation and reward. My dogs LOVE to train. We walk as a group. Then, at the end of the day, if they have any energy left and want to play just with each other or chase squirrels around the yard they do.

But they are conditioned that the best things come from me.

Also segregation as necessary. The last puppy I brought in, my adult wasn't thrilled about him. They were separated for a few weeks. The adult came around and they get along great now, but the new pup had also had a chance to bond with me directly before he realized his brother was cool too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Agreed with above. We keep bubba (english bulldog) and Karma apart in different rooms when we are gone. Karma goes on walks with us (because well have you ever tried walking a bulldog? lol), and i train/play with karma separate. Not because i don't like bubba (he's my handsome man!) but because bubba is my snuggle bug. He just wants to lay around, have food brought to him, and snuggle/be pet. Nothing wrong with that, Karma loves these things too, but Karma will play fetch with me and is willing to learn.

Like others have said, train them apart, and give them lots of lovins, but also allow them to play together. Bubba and Karma will play in our fenced in back yard for as long as we let them, but with extreme weather temps we monitor their playing. I go outside and play with them both.. Karma will fetch while bubba just sits next to me expecting lovins.

It will take a little time getting your system down. So be patient and keep calm because puppies are in fact puppies afterall.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
How old is your current dog and how old is the new dog?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts