German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16,187 Posts
Couple of thoughts for you:

Could be from a stick she's been chewing

Could be yeast (a friend of mine swears to this and to)
Could be allergy manifestation.

One of my dogs of years ago got something like that in winter. Finally decided it was mild frost bite because she would gnaw on frozen horse apples...

·
Registered
866 Posts
I may be wrong but to me it looks like matted hair, saliva, and dried food or dirt mixed together and stuck on your dog's lip. Try picking it off. My dog used to get those a lot. Some dogs just need their mouths wiped from time to time. Just peel it off.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I believe sebrench is correct. I've seen this before, and it looks like lip fold dermatitis. Take her to a vet: she likely needs antibiotics to cure it. She may have an infection in her gums as well.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I may be wrong but to me it looks like matted hair, saliva, and dried food or dirt mixed together and stuck on your dog's lip. Try picking it off. My dog used to get those a lot. Some dogs just need their mouths wiped from time to time. Just peel it off.

My guy had lips that looked like this often. The lips were loose at the corners and when wet with saliva, would pick up hair and fabric fibres. This needs to be soaked off, not pulled. There could be underlying inflammation that causes tissues to weep and become infected, so gently remove it and if there is raw skin, time to see the vet.

·
Registered
866 Posts
My guy had lips that looked like this often. The lips were loose at the corners and when wet with saliva, would pick up hair and fabric fibres. This needs to be soaked off, not pulled. There could be underlying inflammation that causes tissues to weep and become infected, so gently remove it and if there is raw skin, time to see the vet.
Yeah...maybe...your way is the more cautious and better way. But the first time. I just saw lint/hair all matted and stuck on his lip and I didn't think anything of it...just peeled it right off. And from then on, it was just an easy peel off....no inflammation.

With the current pup, dried grass and things would get stuck to his lips when we're playing fetch. His saliva is kind of sticky so a lot of things can get stuck on his lip...lint, grass, hair, fur, etc. Sometimes these little "things" get stuck on the walls and I have to peel them off the wall.

Anyway, OP, that stuff on your dog's lip...that's what it looks like to me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That looks sore. It could be lipfold pyoderma. My dog would get some dryness @ corner of mouth occasionally. Usually from winter or catching errant frisbee throws that came at him hot and fast. I think it's important to keep that area a little cleaner.

I'm not sure how it would ever heal, if you keep pulling scabs off. If you smell any odors or see ozzing, time to go to vet.

Here's what I've done before, but again my dog didn't have that severity.

Moisten a clean paper towel and dab that area to soften a little and carefully remove some of that debris. Hair, carpet, etc. Give it a second to dry while praising dog and getting him to relax. Then follow with a VERY THIN coat of PENATEN CREME. You can order a tin from Amazon Prime for $6.

Penaten Creme was actually used to combat diaper rash in Germany. The company was recently bought by JNJ. It has zinc in it , but levels have been reduced since acquisition . That Penaten Creme is in my first aid kit for my dog along with styptic powder, first aid bandages and so on. It works for lots of topicial skin wounds.

Considering how that looks, you need to get that cleaner before applying the creme. I would get some cotton balls and put a little hydrogen peroxide on it. Very carefully, dab those areas with the moist cotton ball. Obviously keep that cotton ball on the exterior of the mouth. If you take your finger by the outside corner of the dogs mouth and gently pull straight back, it will smoothen out that lower lip into straight line to allow you to clean the little cracks and apply creme a little easier.

Remember, you want to apply very small amounts of the creme. Think as small as a grain of rice. I've had no ill effects from this procedure using the Penaten. Use sparingly. Do this twice a day. It might be wise to avoid the bigger chew toys that could rub, agitate that area. It should clear up in a few days if you are diligent on cleaning and apply the creme. Good Luck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
In addition, make sure you are washing water dish everyday. Don't use plastic , get stainless steel bowl for water. Wash hands well after tending to that area. When I said avoid large chewing toys, I meant till this clears up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts