German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My girlfriend and I have an 8 month old, 90lb pure bred German Shepherd that we got from a friend who could no longer take care of him. We have had him for between 1-2 months, and he has been good so far, but recently he has began randomly throwing up yellow bile. At first we thought it was from the bones he has been chewing on (no rawhides, but they were store bought), so we took them away and he seemed to get a little better. He originally ate Eukanuba dog food, but we switched him to Purina Large Breed Puppy Chow, and we didn't have any real problems switching him over. He hasn't thrown up for about a week, til today when he threw up twice in a row. So I'm not entirely sure what is wrong, and we are starting to get worried about him. We love him dearly and want to see him healthy. So anyone with any information please help us.

·
Registered
280 Posts
When is he throwing up? The yellow bile is normally a sign of an empty stomach, and dogs tend of throw it up first thing in the morning. My dog use to do it a few times a month, but now I'm sure to give her a hand full of food, or a treat or two before bed and she is fine until breakfast. But if he is throwing up at other times I would call your vet and just ask what they think.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
He is throwing up bile which means his stomach is empty. Normally I'd advise feeding slightly more but first I would get him off of Purina because it is TERRIBLE food. Eukanuba is also not good food.

Gsds are notorious for having sensitive digestive systems so you want to feed the best possible food you can afford. Avoid fillers, meat by-products, preservatives and anything that isn't natural (like food coloring, etc.).

There is lots of info on kibble on this forum, just do a search and you'll find threads discussing different varieties.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
both of my 2 are good for a bile puke session about once a month. it's lovely. i always thought it was from them eating grass or weeds or somethnig that didn't sit right. Cody does it, and he never missed a meal, so that empy stomach thing doesn't seem to work with him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts